BA Cold weather gortex boot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
you know when you tie your lace then do the second securing knot, loop one of the bows round the other twice then pull tight, it doesn't slip at all and remains easy to undo, does that make sense, I am dying of terminal MAN FLU today so not to sure if my mind is translating well:)

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
Check the site below. I call it "the science of shoe-lacing".:D

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

thanks greek I tried several still the criss cross over under is the one easiest to tighten (sadly also to get loosen I guess) I do suggest for this boots to pulls strongly outward the laces in order to tighten the cross and then without losing the pull to rise the laces and to crossed till pulled and never lose the tension. with one hand you keep them pulled and with the other you pass the lace in the next eyelet (sorry for complicated explanation I can't even blame man flu)

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Don't worry, the one you described (criss cross over under) is the one we learn during army conscription. Once tried the Army Lacing or "Commando" style but didn't work out.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Maybe not so bullet proof :( Having no luck with boots lately.
IMAG0832_zpsefe58707.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Wow.....that's a bummer.:(..Didn't use a winch to tighten those laces did ya ? :D.can you send 'em back to where you bought them ?......that leather looks pretty crappy to me.
When you've finished messing about with these, take a look at the latest model of German para boots, similar design but far superior in both quality & comfort. Not Goretex lined but you can get goretex socks/ boot liners if your that way inclined.;)

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wow.....that's a bummer.:(..Didn't use a winch to tighten those laces did ya ? :D.can you send 'em back to where you bought them ?......that leather looks pretty crappy to me.
When you've finished messing about with these, take a look at the latest model of German para boots, similar design but far superior in both quality & comfort. Not Goretex lined but you can get goretex socks/ boot liners if your that way inclined.;)

No winch bud honest just hand tight. I actually kicked it with the other boot and it just popped out, didnee even put me off my stride :(
Looking at it the leather seems undernourished. They are in great condition but my guess would be age and possibly dried out with being stored for years.
Dont think there is any chance of them going back as they were ebay so i guess its a case of bite the bullet and go buy another pair. Not these again as its kinda tainted it for me so going to have to do some reading and thinking about it..

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Can't they be repaired? Seems a shame to dump the boots just because one loop pulled out - could just be a badly installed fitting.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can't they be repaired? Seems a shame to dump the boots just because one loop pulled out - could just be a badly installed fitting.

Problem is the leather around the rivets pulled out with the rivets. If it were not such a load bearing one maybe. I dont see a decent repair without riveting straight through the inner and killing the water proof layer. Shame as you say.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Problem is the leather around the rivets pulled out with the rivets. If it were not such a load bearing one maybe. I dont see a decent repair without riveting straight through the inner and killing the water proof layer. Shame as you say.

Depends. Not just an easy job of re-rivetting obviously. But you'd think a good cobbler should be able to patch it with more leather.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yeah a good artisan cobbler could fix that easily, but is it worth paying yet more money when the others risk pulling out too. You could try repairing it yourself by attaching a new hook onto a piece of thick leather then sew that over the hole. The stiches will of course have to come through the Goretex ,a rub with a candle will stop wicking ( no pun intended ) ........they may not be 100% waterproof after but at least you'll still have a wearable pair of boots at very little extra cost.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I am tempted just to epoxy it back in after a removing the shiney surface and then just using them for dog walking and bimbling.
So far as decent walks and snow I would be gutted if they failed half way up a big hill and had to walk back down in a loose rubbing boot :(

No idea what to do now for a new pair. Anyone have any recommendations for a full leather boot thats hard wearing? Like the look of altberg but at £160 they are a bit over budget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE