BA Bivvi Bug protection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't like hooped bivvi's.

I like the bivvi bags that I can use as a sleeping bag cover, wrap myself up in my cocoon, curl up on my side and watch the woods go by.

That's the best bit- they don't have to be! I mostly use mine like a hoopless bivvy- makes no difference at all and is just the same as a normal bivvy :).

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Don't shoot the messenger but it replaces your Tarp and Bivvy bag and provides bug protection. I think that it actually comes in lighter than your 3 piece design.

Tell you about the lay flat comfort of my new DD hammock soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's the best bit- they don't have to be! I mostly use mine like a hoopless bivvy- makes no difference at all and is just the same as a normal bivvy :).

Is it the same breathable material all over ?

Don't shoot the messenger but it replaces your Tarp and Bivvy bag and provides bug protection. I think that it actually comes in lighter than your 3 piece design.

Tell you about the lay flat comfort of my new DD hammock soon.

It does, but at an outlay of 99 quid. Or I can add a bug net for about 25. Replacing my current tarp (1.1kg) with a lighter one at 450g gives me a total weight of 200g less than the zephr, and a heavier wallet...

I don't want a tent for this usecase. I am happy with the tarp and bivvi. I would just like the bugs to go away.

Julia

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
How quick do you need it Julia? They are still out of stock but did you see the Tyvek ground nest I linked you? 350g for bug protection and you don't need the bivvy...

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
How quick do you need it Julia? They are still out of stock but did you see the Tyvek ground nest I linked you? 350g for bug protection and you don't need the bivvy...

I would like something by when I go out next month. I'm not sure why I wouldn't need the bivvi with that item? The dew/damp will still get to the sleeping bag, there is nothing to stop it on that ground nest.

Julia

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I would like something by when I go out next month. I'm not sure why I wouldn't need the bivvi with that item? The dew/damp will still get to the sleeping bag, there is nothing to stop it on that ground nest.

Julia

Do you not find that your tarp keeps the majority of the dew off? I've certainly found that to be the case when hammock camping. Also I would think the mesh would trap some warm air and reduce any dew further.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks, just seen it. That BA bug tent is 2.3kg tho!

Sea to summit make a nano bug net at 82g that I may try out on my next trip.

Thanks all.

J
only if you use the poles. Stripped mine down to under a kilo now and plenty big enough and I'm no midget.

Sent using new fangled smoke signals

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you not find that your tarp keeps the majority of the dew off? I've certainly found that to be the case when hammock camping. Also I would think the mesh would trap some warm air and reduce any dew further.

Not really. To me the Tarp is there to keep the rain off, and the bivvi is there to keep the dew off. If it's not raining, I am more likely to not use the tarp than I am to not use the bivvi. I can still use a mossie net with either of them.

only if you use the poles. Stripped mine down to under a kilo now and plenty big enough and I'm no midget.

That is still very heavy.

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
A few reasons:

- I like the tarp, I like being able to see the world around me

20140515_210725_zpsfhyzselu.jpg

;)

- I don't need the bug protection year round, or in every location I camp in

20140516_080148_zpshhmj0xba.jpg

:p

- Tents are either going to be heavy, or expensive. I can't justify the cost for a trip to the local woods. Maybe for a big trip, but there I will probably go trailstar + bear pawd nest route.

A tent would be cheaper, lighter and offer better bug protection (when needed) than a tarp, bivvy and bug netting though

Yep, but on a clear night, you still get dew, which is part of the reason for still using a bivvi bag even when no rain is forecast.

True
In he UK i usually have the outer up but with both doors wide open, that way the dew doesn't reach the inside of the tent too much, i can see the views plus if it rains in the night it's only 1 min to close both doors rather than getting up to pitch the outer.

No chance.

- As a side sleeper can I get a flat lay in a dd hammock?
- Have you seen the weight?
- Would require switching to under quilts and things...

Agree on all points, although with a bit of experimenting you can get a flatter lay.

Does it effect the breathability of goretex? does it eat plastic the way that Deet does?

No need to spray goretex as the little biters can't get through that layer.
I've used it on tarps, tent inner netting, jumpers, trousers, shoes and even socks, not had anything melt yet.

I'm sure there are certain breeds or areas where the midges don't bother about Permethrin, can't say as i've found anywhere yet though.
On a recent day hike with a mate there were swarms of the biters, i hadn't reapplied he Permethrin since i was in the UK so the clothes have had several washes.
You could physically see the clouds of mossies parting as i walked through, very weird and of much annoyance to my mate that got eaten alive :lmao:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A tent would be cheaper, lighter and offer better bug protection (when needed) than a tarp, bivvy and bug netting though

But I already have a tarp and bivvi. So it's not cheaper.

No need to spray goretex as the little biters can't get through that layer.
I've used it on tarps, tent inner netting, jumpers, trousers, shoes and even socks, not had anything melt yet.

True. What's it like on Silnylon ?

I'm sure there are certain breeds or areas where the midges don't bother about Permethrin, can't say as i've found anywhere yet though.
On a recent day hike with a mate there were swarms of the biters, i hadn't reapplied he Permethrin since i was in the UK so the clothes have had several washes.
You could physically see the clouds of mossies parting as i walked through, very weird and of much annoyance to my mate that got eaten alive :lmao:

Interesting.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE