Weekend's gear testing - Thoughts take II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, following on from last months post trip gear testing [thread=121881]post[/thread], I thought I'd do the same following this [thread=122784]weeks trip[/thread].

My aim for the pack on this trip was to reduce weight. Last time my base pack weight was 13kg, 16kg with food and water for 24 hours. I succeeded, this time it was 11kg base weight, I then blew this with 5kg of food and water for the same 16kg. Tho this was for 48 hours, rather than 24.

Water wise, I left my stainless steel nalgene bottle at home, and took a 1.25L diet coke bottle for clean water, and a 0.5l diet coke bottle to drink from. One thing I realised on the previous trip was I wanted tea, and had water made up with squash, but not water for making tea. So I by using the two bottles, I had more flexibility. I made up squash as I needed it using Robinson's Squash'd squeezy bottles. More on this shortly. Because I couldn't realistically carry 48 hours of water with me, I took my new Sawyer mini filter. This also allowed me to carry less water, I started with 2.25L last time, and 1.75L this time. The switch from the stainless steel nalgene bottle to the 0.5l coke bottle saved me 325g. Offset slightly by the extra 100g for the sawyer.

The other major change in my pack was the pack itself. My old Deuter Futura 32AC that I have used as hand bag, day bag and general shopping bag for something like 7 years, had finally seen it's last trip. This trip I took out my new Osprey Tempest 30 (ladies version of the talon 33). I was apprehensive about the pack, wasn't sure if it would be able to take the complete load out I needed for the weekend. Short version it did. I will do a proper longer review in the reviews section, but for now I will mention that this switch got me another 800g saving.

Last time I had proven to myself that the loft insulation foil bubble wrap stuff was good enough for a ground pad under my Exped Synmat 7 UL, that I left my German army folding sleep matt at home. I don't have the weight of the German Army Folding Sleep matt to hand, but I think this may account for another 250-400g of savings.

I was slightly concerned about the exped matt slipping off the insulation, so I took some 3mm shock cord I picked up at a London chandlers (I live 6 miles from the coast, but went to a chandlers in the smoke, go figure) and made a pair of over grown elastic bands. I made them slightly adjustable through the use of a pair of double fisherman's knots. These then went round the two matts and stopped the two sliding apart too much. They would have worked better had I inflated the matt a little more after the temp dropped over 6°C between inflation on Friday and waking up Sunday, the matt was quite soft this morning. The two bands weight 10.8g and 9.4g and I think were worth the weight. I may investigate some 2mm shock cord in future, and have 3 bands rather than 2. The bands also allowed me to stick my pillow and bivvi bag under them during the day so they didn't blow away, a useful bonus.

This trip I took the opportunity to take the old larger line loks off my basha and replace them with smaller glow in the dark line loks. In theory this is a 7.6g saving. But it wasn't about the weight. I wanted to see how well they worked. I've had the bag of line loks on my desk for a few days, and it was eery the way they glowed when I turned the light out and went to bed. I had reservations about sticking glow in the dark items on a camouflage basha, the idea kinda seems contradictory, but the reality was, they allowed you to spot the guy lines at a few paces, but from 50 paces, you couldn't see them, giving a really nice compromise between visibility and stealth. I will certainly replace all my line loks with the glow in the dark version now.

As well as taking food that was far too heavy, I experimented with the bottles that the Robinson's Squash'd come in. I used one for olive oil, one for salad cream, and also one in it's original state for squash. These bottles are proving to be really versatile and I will get a few more for other condiments. I did learn the hardway to be very careful when washing them out. Having salad cream that tastes slightly blackcurranty is sub optimal.

The other two items I had with me that proved unexpectedly useful was a kitchen sink and a sea to summit Outhouse. The later is a dry bag specifically designed to hold loo roll. It has a bar inside it so that the loo roll can rotate, and a cord you put round your neck, or hang off a branch. The design keeps your loo roll dry even in the rain, as it comes out the bottom of the bag, and it makes squatting over a hole in the ground a lot easier. The only slight gripe was that the bag is designed for a slightly smaller bag than the standard ones I have in the loo at home, so to start the roll you have to coax it a bit more than later in use. The kitchen sink proved very useful for washing up the groups dishes, and also as a generally useful dirty water container. I am tempted to get the sea-to-summit sil nylon version, which is only 49g, tho the 86g this one weighs is very respectable.

Over all the difference of the 11kg I walked out with this morning was amazing. That 11kg included my tripod (1.2kg), but not my camera. My hope of getting a pack of under 9kg excluding camera kit, food, and fuel looks attainable. Whilst maintaining the same level of comfort.

So that's the results of this weekends kit testing. Next month, improvements in the bug protection I hope!

Julia

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Julia could I just ask what weighs so much ?

I have trouble going over 11kg before food+ water, with a 1.5kg sub zero sleeping bag, a substantial 1.5kg rucksack, 1kg of clothes and 1kg fuel, 1kg shelter.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Julia could I just ask what weighs so much ?

I have trouble going over 11kg before food+ water, with a 1.5kg sub zero sleeping bag, a substantial 1.5kg rucksack, 1kg of clothes and 1kg fuel, 1kg shelter.

The main weights are:

- Pack - 850g
- Sleeping bag - 1.2kg
- TS1 Liner - 310g
- BA bivvi bag - 800g
- BA Basha - 1.1kg
- Tripod - 1.2kg
- Exped synmat + pillow 610g

That's 6.08kg, before I add in things like the fleece, shirt, suncream, shepee, cups, meths, etc...

The vacuum jar that I had the bacon in weighs several hundred grams. Then I had 250g of granola bars that I never ate, that are included in the 11kg. Oh, and a 250g battery from my power monkey set.

It all adds up...

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The main weights are:

- Pack - 850g
- Sleeping bag - 1.2kg
- TS1 Liner - 310g
- BA bivvi bag - 800g
- BA Basha - 1.1kg
- Tripod - 1.2kg
- Exped synmat + pillow 610g

That's 6.08kg, before I add in things like the fleece, shirt, suncream, shepee, cups, meths, etc...

The vacuum jar that I had the bacon in weighs several hundred grams. Then I had 250g of granola bars that I never ate, that are included in the 11kg. Oh, and a 250g battery from my power monkey set.

It all adds up...

Julia

Looking at that you have
800g - Bivvi bag
1100g - Basha

1900 grams i a fair bit of weight for a system that's compromised in the area you can use it and the protection it affords.
As a comparison i use a Tarptent Stratosphire 2, it's roomy even for 2 people, you can pitch outer only (846g) to use it as a tarp or in good weather but with midges inner only (483g) so you can still see the stars.
All in with pegs, bag etc it's 1185g

Might not be the best option for you, but it might be worth looking at various options for a light weight tent.

The other thing is your pillow.
My Exped Synmat 7 weighs 501g, so that puts your pillow at around 110g.

Ok it's only 110g, in my experience though i've yet o find a pillow that's still under my head in the morning, plus most are uncomfortable.

Best option i've found is a Exped Schnozzel Bag.
I use it to keep all my sleep kit dry when i'm hiking
When setting up camp i then use it to fill my Exped synmat 7, makes filling it a LOT faster and easier plus there is no moisture from your breath to reduce the efficiency of the filling.
Once i've set the mat up i'll change into my camp clothes and cram in my dry extra layers into it and use it as a pillow.

The fabric is really soft and you can add as many bits of clothing as you want to get the desired height.

Other bonus is that it stop you dry clothes getting wet from condensation in the tent at night.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
looks like you know where to cut it, if you are going to go the walking set up. Perhaps the tripod ? Or your friends grill to go and split the difference.

It's a camera tripod, not a cooking tripod.

Looking at that you have
800g - Bivvi bag
1100g - Basha

1900 grams i a fair bit of weight for a system that's compromised in the area you can use it and the protection it affords.
As a comparison i use a Tarptent Stratosphire 2, it's roomy even for 2 people, you can pitch outer only (846g) to use it as a tarp or in good weather but with midges inner only (483g) so you can still see the stars.
All in with pegs, bag etc it's 1185g

Might not be the best option for you, but it might be worth looking at various options for a light weight tent.

I fully intend to replace the basha with a lighter one, that is 450g rather than 1100. I may also replace the bivvi, tho I like the camo of this one.

The other thing is your pillow.
My Exped Synmat 7 weighs 501g, so that puts your pillow at around 110g.

Ok it's only 110g, in my experience though i've yet o find a pillow that's still under my head in the morning, plus most are uncomfortable.

The pillow is the inflation pump for the synmat.

Best option i've found is a Exped Schnozzel Bag.
I use it to keep all my sleep kit dry when i'm hiking
When setting up camp i then use it to fill my Exped synmat 7, makes filling it a LOT faster and easier plus there is no moisture from your breath to reduce the efficiency of the filling.
Once i've set the mat up i'll change into my camp clothes and cram in my dry extra layers into it and use it as a pillow.

Yep, that is exactly why I have the pillow pump, tho you can't put the sleeping bag in it for transport. But it the same moisture avoidance was my intent.

The fabric is really soft and you can add as many bits of clothing as you want to get the desired height.

Other bonus is that it stop you dry clothes getting wet from condensation in the tent at night.

Interesting. My spare clothes on this trip were limited to a change of underwear and a fleece if it got cold...

Julia

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Another option, but with a bit of investment would be to get a borah gear bivi, around 200 ish grams, a neoair xlite large at around 450g and a silnylon tarp the same size as a basha which again would be around the 300-400g weight. You could conceivably get all 3 for under a kilo.
I have to disagree with cbr though regarding the pillow thing, iv never really managed to get on with anything other than a proper pillow, I use a trek mates deluxe travel pillow and it works ok, I have seen a great bit of kit zpacks which is a Cuban fibre dry bag but when you turn it inside out it has nice soft fleece so it doubles up as a pillow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Another option, but with a bit of investment would be to get a borah gear bivi, around 200 ish grams, a neoair xlite large at around 450g and a silnylon tarp the same size as a basha which again would be around the 300-400g weight. You could conceivably get all 3 for under a kilo.
I have to disagree with cbr though regarding the pillow thing, iv never really managed to get on with anything other than a proper pillow, I use a trek mates deluxe travel pillow and it works ok, I have seen a great bit of kit zpacks which is a Cuban fibre dry bag but when you turn it inside out it has nice soft fleece so it doubles up as a pillow.

Yep, RAB Siltarp 1 is 200g, the neoair xlite is only 10g lighter than the exped I already have. The pillow is worth the weight I think, yes it's over 100g, but, it prolongs the life of the matt, and I actually find it very comfortable. The Alpkit Hunka is 376g, making the whole lot around the 1kg mark. But with a lot less investment.

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I fully intend to replace the basha with a lighter one, that is 450g rather than 1100. I may also replace the bivvi, tho I like the camo of this one.

Should make a noticeable difference that.

I have a couple of tarps and like the idea, in practice though i just find that they're more hassle to put up than a tent, don't offer the same weather protection, and zero bug/mossy protection

If i could lose say 500g i'd probably eat the negatives, but by the time i've added some sort of water protection for my sleeping bag like say a bivvy bag the weight is usually more than my tent.
If i add in a bug net then it just means i effectively have a heavier, harder to put up tent :(

I think 30 years ago they were a good compromise as tents tended to be heavier and had small openings.
These days though with tents getting lighter and many having huuugeeeeeeee doors and porches the benefits are less.

Yep, that is exactly why I have the pillow pump, tho you can't put the sleeping bag in it for transport. But it the same moisture avoidance was my intent.

First couple of trips i was concerned that the Snoozle wouldn't be strong enough to last as it's only very very thin material (61g) but it seems to be holding up fine.
The other good thing is the valve allows you to easily compress the air out of the bag after you've put your stuff in.

Might be worth taking a gander at, you'll not only save the weight of your pillow you'll also be able to use it to replace your sleeping bag, sleeping kit dry bag, so save weight there as well.

Only a saving of a few grams i know, but i find it more comfortable (than my large exped pillow) and it's a multi use item.

Interesting. My spare clothes on this trip were limited to a change of underwear and a fleece if it got cold...

In the UK i tend to take a down jacket, more of a just in case really, if i don't use that it makes a fantastic pillow.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Do you use walking poles? I have a pole with a camera mount on top that works pretty well as a monopod.

Are you insistent on using a tarp and bivvy bag? My little Wild Country tent weighs just over a kilo and means that I don't need a bivvy bag. I've had it up in some pretty wild conditions but the disadvantage on a long trip would be the difficulty of making repairs if something did break, whereas a tarp can be bodged.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yep, RAB Siltarp 1 is 200g, the neoair xlite is only 10g lighter than the exped I already have. The pillow is worth the weight I think, yes it's over 100g, but, it prolongs the life of the matt, and I actually find it very comfortable. The Alpkit Hunka is 376g, making the whole lot around the 1kg mark. But with a lot less investment.

Julia

Sorry I misread the original post, I thought it said 800g for the synmat.
Like I say my xlite large weighs 450g so it would be a small weight saving. If your considering the allpkit have a look at the borah gear bivi's, I'm ordering one this week, and it's costing me around £65 from America which is only a bit more than the allpkit but weighs 198g, has a slight side zip for ease of access but more importantly a bug net built in.
I do like the rab tarp though, looks really good!!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you use walking poles? I have a pole with a camera mount on top that works pretty well as a monopod.

I do, and I am interested in exactly that idea. See [thread=122340]this thread[/thread] where I was asking about the Mountain king poles with monopod attachment.

Are you insistent on using a tarp and bivvy bag? My little Wild Country tent weighs just over a kilo and means that I don't need a bivvy bag. I've had it up in some pretty wild conditions but the disadvantage on a long trip would be the difficulty of making repairs if something did break, whereas a tarp can be bodged.

Nope, not insistent at all. I am considering the MLD trailstar with an inner nest, this would allow me to leave the bivvi bag at home.

Should make a noticeable difference that.

I have a couple of tarps and like the idea, in practice though i just find that they're more hassle to put up than a tent, don't offer the same weather protection, and zero bug/mossy protection

If i could lose say 500g i'd probably eat the negatives, but by the time i've added some sort of water protection for my sleeping bag like say a bivvy bag the weight is usually more than my tent.
If i add in a bug net then it just means i effectively have a heavier, harder to put up tent :(

I think 30 years ago they were a good compromise as tents tended to be heavier and had small openings.
These days though with tents getting lighter and many having huuugeeeeeeee doors and porches the benefits are less.

The nice compromise between tent and tarp seems to be the MLD trailstar. Which I am considering for upland trips away from people. For lowland trips where the camo of the tarp is significant, then it limits my choices somewhat. It means that my kit is different for the terrain, and may not be as light as it might otherwise be in some circumstances.

First couple of trips i was concerned that the Snoozle wouldn't be strong enough to last as it's only very very thin material (61g) but it seems to be holding up fine.
The other good thing is the valve allows you to easily compress the air out of the bag after you've put your stuff in.

Might be worth taking a gander at, you'll not only save the weight of your pillow you'll also be able to use it to replace your sleeping bag, sleeping kit dry bag, so save weight there as well.

Only a saving of a few grams i know, but i find it more comfortable (than my large exped pillow) and it's a multi use item.

In the UK i tend to take a down jacket, more of a just in case really, if i don't use that it makes a fantastic pillow.

I am still looking at solutions to warm clothing round camp, maybe a down jacket. Maybe I'll investigate the options fully in due course.

The snoozle bag would be a nice 90g saving. Not sure it is my first port of call for saving weight. Changing tarp is going to give a bigger saving, faster.

Sorry I misread the original post, I thought it said 800g for the synmat.
Like I say my xlite large weighs 450g so it would be a small weight saving. If your considering the allpkit have a look at the borah gear bivi's, I'm ordering one this week, and it's costing me around £65 from America which is only a bit more than the allpkit but weighs 198g, has a slight side zip for ease of access but more importantly a bug net built in.
I do like the rab tarp though, looks really good!!

I don't like bivvi's that have a top and a bottom. I tend to wrap the whole lot round me and roll over on my side. this is a lot of faff in bags with a top and a bottom of different materials. It's much the same reason I dislike non centre zip sleeping bags.

Thanks

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The nice compromise between tent and tarp seems to be the MLD trailstar. Which I am considering for upland trips away from people. For lowland trips where the camo of the tarp is significant, then it limits my choices somewhat. It means that my kit is different for the terrain, and may not be as light as it might otherwise be in some circumstances.

Seriously looked at the Trailstar, i did the sums though

Pro Silnylon tarp = 567g
SilNylon inner = 354g

Total of 921g

Tarptent Moment double wall = 964g
Like the Trailstar you can pitch the Moment as a outer only or just have the inner up if it's a nice but bug infested night.

Even better still
Trailstar tarp = $220 + $185 for the inner is $405

TT Moment is $285

You could go for the Cuben fibre option of the trailstar, to be honest i've read a few reports of this version being difficult to put up, in the end Chris Townsend's review put me off the Cuben tarp
http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2012/03/trailstar-wars.html

It would save a fair bit of weight though.
Cuben tarp = 311g
Cuben inner = 227g
538g for a complete pretty roomy sleep system is absolutely fantastic.

Only downsides i could see are:
a) It seems it's a bit more fiddly to put up compared to the SilNylon (will bow to experience here as i have none and am only going from reviews)
b) The price, the Cuben inner and outer will run to $650 :eek:

With regards to the Camo tarp.
If it affords you a bit of piece of mind then it's got to be worth it.

In reality though the smoke, smell, and noise from a camp will alert anyone near longggggg before they see it in a wooded environment.
The shear nature of a tarp is also a very big give away as the ridge line has to be straight, there are rarely straight lines in nature so even if the camo pattern perfectly fits the environment and season (camo patterns are very season specific), the ridge line is often a very big give away.

I am still looking at solutions to warm clothing round camp, maybe a down jacket. Maybe I'll investigate the options fully in due course.

For warmth per gram it's tough to beat down, does need some care though.

The snoozle bag would be a nice 90g saving. Not sure it is my first port of call for saving weight. Changing tarp is going to give a bigger saving, faster.

Agreed the weight saving is inconsequential compared to other pieces of kit, my point was though in my experience it actually makes a better pillow than the Exped pillow.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Julia, does the bivi you have now not have a top and a bottom? The m90 material is similar to pertex I'm lead to believe which is really slippy, I'm a side sleeper too and have the same worrys, being a slightly rotund chap iv gone for a wide size with an extra 6 inches so I can get my neoair Matt and let my winter quilt loft. Please be advised though I have never ever spent a night in a bivi myself so this is all based on paper lol!! I may actually hate it lol!!
I do like that tarp you wrote about earlier, I have been looking at it on the Bpl website, the dd solo looks good to, same size as a basha, weighs 490g and costs £32!!
I'm watching this thread with interest, last time I went out my bag weight nearly crippled me, I struggled to walk 2 miles! On the way out it felt a damn site lighter as I ate all the food I took (which is a first lol) so I thought it was quite light, got home and weighed it and it still came in at 15kg!! Ever since them iv been striving to lighten my pack!!

Also if your looking for a tarp tent, my wife got me one of these - http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html

I'm impressed so far, and can be pitched with the door open.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
The other two items I had with me that proved unexpectedly useful was a kitchen sink and a sea to summit Outhouse. The later is a dry bag specifically designed to hold loo roll. It has a bar inside it so that the loo roll can rotate, and a cord you put round your neck, or hang off a branch. The design keeps your loo roll dry even in the rain, as it comes out the bottom of the bag, and it makes squatting over a hole in the ground a lot easier. The only slight gripe was that the bag is designed for a slightly smaller bag than the standard ones I have in the loo at home, so to start the roll you have to coax it a bit more than later in use. The kitchen sink proved very useful for washing up the groups dishes, and also as a generally useful dirty water container. I am tempted to get the sea-to-summit sil nylon version, which is only 49g, tho the 86g this one weighs is very respectable.

That Outhouse thingy does look really useful. At £7 it looks a good buy.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Seriously looked at the Trailstar, i did the sums though

Pro Silnylon tarp = 567g
SilNylon inner = 354g

Total of 921g

There are other options for the inner. I believe bear pawd make one that is lighter.

Tarptent Moment double wall = 964g
Like the Trailstar you can pitch the Moment as a outer only or just have the inner up if it's a nice but bug infested night.

Even better still
Trailstar tarp = $220 + $185 for the inner is $405

TT Moment is $285

That doesn't look like it has as much room in it as the trailstar does.

For a while I had the Vaude Power Lizzard 1-2 SUL on my list as the tent of choice - 1.00kg for a very rugged tent. But the reviews and wind stability of the trailstar have me sold on that now.

You could go for the Cuben fibre option of the trailstar, to be honest i've read a few reports of this version being difficult to put up, in the end Chris Townsend's review put me off the Cuben tarp
http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2012/03/trailstar-wars.html

It would save a fair bit of weight though.
Cuben tarp = 311g
Cuben inner = 227g
538g for a complete pretty roomy sleep system is absolutely fantastic.

Only downsides i could see are:
a) It seems it's a bit more fiddly to put up compared to the SilNylon (will bow to experience here as i have none and am only going from reviews)
b) The price, the Cuben inner and outer will run to $650 :eek:

Yeah, I'm not going to go the cuban fibre route, I just can't justify the cost if nothing else.

With regards to the Camo tarp.
If it affords you a bit of piece of mind then it's got to be worth it.

In reality though the smoke, smell, and noise from a camp will alert anyone near longggggg before they see it in a wooded environment.
The shear nature of a tarp is also a very big give away as the ridge line has to be straight, there are rarely straight lines in nature so even if the camo pattern perfectly fits the environment and season (camo patterns are very season specific), the ridge line is often a very big give away.

You would be surprised. This weekend we were camped 50 yards from a footpath, and noone seemed to notice us. The point of the camo tarp is to make the lay person walking past not notice you, anyone looking for you is going to find you, for all the reasons you said. A lot of it is piece of mind.

For warmth per gram it's tough to beat down, does need some care though.

Yeah. I normally carry a wind proof fleece as my warm layer. In winter I wear that with a waterproof jacket over the top and a base layer underneath and am fine. But it's heavy, and as I want to move to paramo for my day wear when hiking, I will need something to wear round camp. Not sure what. I had looked at the snugpak sleeka jackets, but they seem very heavy, more so than I remember them being. Will research when I have money. Shelter first.

Agreed the weight saving is inconsequential compared to other pieces of kit, my point was though in my experience it actually makes a better pillow than the Exped pillow.

I get on with the exped pillow pump at the moment, so will stick with it for now.

Hi Julia, does the bivi you have now not have a top and a bottom? The m90 material is similar to pertex I'm lead to believe which is really slippy, I'm a side sleeper too and have the same worrys, being a slightly rotund chap iv gone for a wide size with an extra 6 inches so I can get my neoair Matt and let my winter quilt loft. Please be advised though I have never ever spent a night in a bivi myself so this is all based on paper lol!! I may actually hate it lol!!
I do like that tarp you wrote about earlier, I have been looking at it on the Bpl website, the dd solo looks good to, same size as a basha, weighs 490g and costs £32!!

Nope, my bivvi is the british army goretex bivvi bag, it's the same material all over. I just snuggle down in it, and don't worry if I have rolled over onto the top bit or the bottom bit as it's all the same. This is an important feature I look for in a bivvi. I also don't put my sleep matt inside it, I have that outside.

In terms of tarps, the DD Solo, Rab SilTarp-1 and Alpkit Rig 3.5 are all much the same size, but they are 490g, 200g and 270g respectively. For costs of £32, £49.99 and £35 respectively. Cost/weight/area the alpkit comes out top. Tho the rab is still affordable and does save some weight...

I'm watching this thread with interest, last time I went out my bag weight nearly crippled me, I struggled to walk 2 miles! On the way out it felt a damn site lighter as I ate all the food I took (which is a first lol) so I thought it was quite light, got home and weighed it and it still came in at 15kg!! Ever since them iv been striving to lighten my pack!!

Also if your looking for a tarp tent, my wife got me one of these - http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html

I'm impressed so far, and can be pitched with the door open.

I think many of us would be shocked if we weighed our packs more often. The aim for me is to get my base weight excluding food, fuel and camera gear, in at under kg. With clothing/kit enough for a 7+ days.

Then will come the trying to get a varied enough diet in at under 1kg per day...

That Outhouse thingy does look really useful. At £7 it looks a good buy.

Yep, it's well worth having, some may say "Just use a zip lock bag" but the way this deploys it's much more useful, and the contents doesn't get wet when calling nature in the rain... There are other manufacturers, Ortlieb make something similar too.

Julia

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Do you walk to your destination? I do..nthatsnwhy I rarely venture far/for long as its a back breaker carrying it miles!

And can we see a group shot of your stuff? to get an idea of physical size, I think that would certainly help Mr get an idea past all the weight figures and stuff.

Also if you like the light weight plastic drinks bottle like coke etc try this...http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/heinz-4-month-pure-apple-and-cherry-juice its a bottle of baby squash and the bottle is really really tough! A family member bought our little one some, and I kept the bottle as it was so strong for a throw away bottle! I remember it being a good shape to lash a cord on too, so you can hang it with toggles etc. Think theyre about 700ml or so, with a big cap!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you walk to your destination? I do..nthatsnwhy I rarely venture far/for long as its a back breaker carrying it miles!

I do walk to the destination, on this trip I was able to get a lift for some of the journey, but I still had a 2 k walk to the station, and about half a k walk at the other end. On the previous trip, I did 8k from the station, and 8 back to the station at the destination end. This is as well as the 2k each way to the local station from home.

And can we see a group shot of your stuff? to get an idea of physical size, I think that would certainly help Mr get an idea past all the weight figures and stuff.

In the pack, or setup for camp?

This is my pack on arrival at camp.

img_2981_sm.jpg

My camp setup:

img_2997_sm.jpg

Also if you like the light weight plastic drinks bottle like coke etc try this...http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/heinz-4-month-pure-apple-and-cherry-juice its a bottle of baby squash and the bottle is really really tough! A family member bought our little one some, and I kept the bottle as it was so strong for a throw away bottle! I remember it being a good shape to lash a cord on too, so you can hang it with toggles etc. Think theyre about 700ml or so, with a big cap!

I think the coke bottles I am using will be effective for now. I will eventually replace them with Platypus softbottles, which I think may last longer.

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I think the coke bottles I am using will be effective for now. I will eventually replace them with Platypus softbottles, which I think may last longer.

Julia

Great write up and pics.

If you are going for a soft bladder and want to still use the Sawyer filter a Evernew bladder would be a better choice.

The Platypus bags of the last 3 years or so have a slightly different thread, this means you cannot tighten the Sawyer filter properly so it leaks.

Evernew is exactly the same thread.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Great write up and pics.

If you are going for a soft bladder and want to still use the Sawyer filter a Evernew bladder would be a better choice.

The Platypus bags of the last 3 years or so have a slightly different thread, this means you cannot tighten the Sawyer filter properly so it leaks.

Evernew is exactly the same thread.

The platypus softbottle is for drinking from, not for the water filter. It would only be used for clean water. The thread on my sawyer is only on he dirty side, so the incompatible threads would help to not get dirty and clean water the wrong way round.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE