axe mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
This is an axe mask I have just completed, I was aprehensive about posting, however kind words from Luckylee on another thread have persuded me to do so.
DSC00122.jpg
[/IMG]

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Only finished it before posting, first impressions fits tight & V unlikely to come off in the bag with the other 8 axes when I take the grand children woodland camping.

Nice, and good to hear that are still some awesome Grandpa's out there ^^
Your sincerely a youngster

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Nice, and good to hear that are still some awesome Grandpa's out there ^^
Your sincerely a youngster

Thank you I miss counted the axes I have 10 in total from a 1lb Brades kent pattern axe for my youngest a granddaughter to a 3.5lb Hultafors Agador tree felling axe, most of these are fitted with commercially bought masks from the USA however now they are wanting £25 P&P so I have started to make my own. I have also just finished hafting a 1.5 lb Wilkinson sword head with a GB small forest axe 20" shaft (Wood Trekkers cheap alternative to GB SFA)

Each of my grand children have Mora Clipper or Companion knives (which I keep). I also take a couple of Malaysian Parang as well as a large selection of med to large knives, some are for food preperation...

All of the above are locked away until needed for use when my son 17 & grand children and a friends 3 boys are taught the dying art of how to use them properly under strict supervision & that they are tools to be used responsibly...

I guess I'm a little different, I don't feel nearly 63, my eldest daughter was camping with me in winter in Borrowdale Cumbria in the mid 80s age 7, I have her US Marine knife which she still uses.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
10 axes, well o well you are pretty well funded then ^^, and the Small forest Axe will always be my favorite, but perhaps that's just a bit of personal romanticism speaking. And indeed working with such tools is needed to be done responsibly, yet nature has a fast learning curve in my opinion, I started carving about 2 years ago and feel very comfortable with most knives now a days, yet I see some people that struggle with it more at the start of the learning curve, and as your motto says experience teaches fools ( had some latin in my days^^) , So I also let them carve only under supervision atm,
and as a final comeback to your motto I have another quote, not in latin this time.

'Experience teaches only the teachable'.
- Aldous Huxley-

And in my opinion a Kid needs to learn how to handle a knife, it gives them responsibility and nothing teaches a man faster how to be responsible then a good cut.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thank you I miss counted the axes I have 10 in total from a 1lb Brades kent pattern axe for my youngest a granddaughter to a 3.5lb Hultafors Agador tree felling axe, most of these are fitted with commercially bought masks from the USA however now they are wanting £25 P&P so I have started to make my own. I have also just finished hafting a 1.5 lb Wilkinson sword head with a GB small forest axe 20" shaft (Wood Trekkers cheap alternative to GB SFA)

Each of my grand children have Mora Clipper or Companion knives (which I keep). I also take a couple of Malaysian Parang as well as a large selection of med to large knives, some are for food preperation...

All of the above are locked away until needed for use when my son 17 & grand children and a friends 3 boys are taught the dying art of how to use them properly under strict supervision & that they are tools to be used responsibly...

I guess I'm a little different, I don't feel nearly 63, my eldest daughter was camping with me in winter in Borrowdale Cumbria in the mid 80s age 7, I have her US Marine knife which she still uses.

Very nice axe mask Palace. Is that the hultafors large chopping axe?

I bought that axe but it doesn't have a mask and my leather skills leave a lot to be desired.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Very nice axe mask Palace. Is that the hultafors large chopping axe?

I bought that axe but it doesn't have a mask and my leather skills leave a lot to be desired.

Yes it is the Hultafors Agador 850grm large chopping axe. Agador axes usually have a hunter style head not the GB style that this has. I have made other axe masks with leather from an old chair, very soft that stiffened when put in heated bees wax & cooled.

This mask is made from 3.5mm leather bought on fleabay along with a 4 in 1 punch for even stitching from Le Prevo, some saddlers blunt needles and linnen thread. I have now ordered an edging tool. These simple tools and viewing U tube Tandy leather sites as well as the Wood Trekker took me from ok'ish to thats not bad, however the greatest influence is from looking at the work of Luckylee, and Black sheep & others from BCUK

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
this is one grandad not to mess with....lol! nice work....bet youre glad you posted it now....to me criticism is often as good as praise so long as its given by someone justifiable and so long as you deal with it the right way....and anyway....its how you feel about it that matters. end of.

respect!

a

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
just re-read my words....does that make sense? lol

this is one grandad not to mess with....lol! nice work....bet youre glad you posted it now....to me criticism is often as good as praise so long as its given by someone justifiable and so long as you deal with it the right way....and anyway....its how you feel about it that matters. end of.

respect!

a

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE