Axe mask alternatives question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I have been playing about at butchering, err I mean modifying, some axe heads and want to make up some form of protective covers.

I don't have any experience at leather working and am not a fan of kydex or modern materials.

I saw a picture of a wooden axe mast a while back but my Google fu have failed me in finding something similar.
Anyone have any ideas on a wooden or traditional alternative to leather?

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've used plywood in the past and still do. Nothing to say you couldn't use anything more ornate wood wise. Simple enough process really if you have a fret/scroll saw

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
here are a couple that I've done in wood.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The first one is made by gluing and then riveting (3mm copper wire) three planks of beech together, basically the same as with leather. Then I made a peg from some oak to hold the axe in.

The second one was much simpler. It is a single block of beech that I carved a groove into for the blade to fit, then used a leather thong to tie in place. The groove was made by drilling a row of holes and then chiselling the wood out in between.

Wayland's axe is made the same way (i think) as the first, but sewn together with artificial sinew rather than rivets and then the thong as in the second. Though he made his all pretty with some lovely carvings :)

Attachments

• longbeard3.jpg
    longbeard3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 109
  • longbeard1.jpg
    longbeard1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 14th axe2.jpg
    14th axe2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 14th axe1.jpg
    14th axe1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 109

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Looking at images from the 18th/19th/ fur trade period the most common protection you see on a hawks head is a rag or cloth thin piece of leather tied round it. I've always assumed they would have been oily/greasy to weather proof it some. Too messy for a tart like me, much prefer the wooden or leather ones most folk make.

atb

Tom

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
When I was a kid it was common practice to cut the ends out of a tin can, flatten it, and slip it over the axe bit. Drill a hole in the can and use a leather shoelace to tie it fast.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
funny you should say that. A number of the axes in my workshop have a rag or old sock wrapped around the edge to protect them/me :lmao:

Most of mine are also modelling this years trend of oily rag at the moment.
I keep buying old second hand heads to rehaft and mod don't have the patience or skill to make them pretty leather clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I like #1 and may now use this design to make a cover for a vintage Irish brush cutter I recently acquired.  

Thanks ‎

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE