Axe holster

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
BB07 Just say Chris the owner is a real nice guy, I wouldn't have any worries ordering him if I lived over there :)

Yes, he is a great guy to deal with. I'm undecided whether I would actually use such a thing though, especially at that price:yikes:

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Thats a tad dear, I could make one in an hour and will probably do just that. It's not much different from the utility belts you can buy on ebay 1950's surplus, except its not attached to the belt.

Actually, looking at this. It's just a leather belt cut down and reassembled. That sounds like the cheapest option.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Silly price for 10 minutes work and about £2 material costs.

Really handy bit of kit though, I believe Angst made some very similar a few months back. :)

Shipping weight 400g? Are they adding lead to it too? lol

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I liked the idea and looks of that and decided to make one for myself. I haven't had the chance to try it out, but it seems like it's going to work out pretty well. I think it took me about an hour or so to make and I already had all the materials on hand, so it didn't really cost much or require me to purchase anything. But, I think the total cost of the materials that I used would have come out to less than $3.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'll be interested to hear how things go with the paracord retainer. It does look as though it might get in the way a bit...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I adapted my existing holster to add the cord retainer - but I used a leather thong and a leather cord grip (I like leather:) )
Scrap leather and 4 rivets had made the original holster, a thong and a piece of scrap made the retainer ... total outlay ... about £2!
I would say that the retainer is only needed if you are crossing seriously rough ground or stowing the axe for a good while - most of the time graviry is all you need to keep the axe in the holster...
DSCF6376.jpg

DSCF6375.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll be interested to hear how things go with the paracord retainer. It does look as though it might get in the way a bit...

I suspect it's more for keeping the axe head pointed in the proper direction (aft) rather than retaining it. As John Fenna said, gravity should retain it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In that case if you scoop up the leather ring at the front (to look like a bishops mitre) it will do the same job.

Probably. I was thinking of something like the PR-24 holder on my duty belt. It's belt loop is similar to the one in this thread but the ring which holds the axe (or in my case the PR-24) is loded plastic with a raised nub to the outside of the ring to prevent the side handle from rotating.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
In that case if you scoop up the leather ring at the front (to look like a bishops mitre) it will do the same job.

That, to my mind, would provide a more elegant, simple solution. I think I might play with some leather over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

May 28, 2012
Canada
Hey Gang, Great to see some axe holster in use. As well, super awesome to see some DIY like Bradley & John.

Also The keeper strap's job is to:
1. Keep the axe head in the direction you placed it in at.
2. Provide security from it falling out if in a serious Bushwhacking condition.
3. Lets you keep the Holster on the Axe while its off your belt.

It functions quite well with it off as well.

I originally had a leather strap and brass buckle, but the possibly of it ripping off made me change it. I also tried leather lace and a leather cord lock and was unimpressed with the strength of hold and again leather lace can snap (from experience w/ leather boot laces) So paracord was the solution and can withstand the possibility of snagging on a tree etc.

As for the cost, Southey has it bang on. Its there for people who want to buy it, but lots of pictures for people who want to make their own.

-Chris

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
I've sent the URL to a mate and he'll probably want me to make him one.

No problem. But I'll keep the cost down by NOT using platinum or gold rivets - which surely has to be why the manufacturers charge so much for theirs! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE