Axe handle treatment advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi All,

I've just received a Helko Werk Journeyman Pack Axe which come with an American Hickory handle treated with BLO. I'd like to treat the handle again before I start to use it in anger and I have some walnut oil in the house. Should I stick with BLO or would it be ok to use walnut oil on top of the BLO?
Thoughts/advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Why do you think it needs treating again, is there something wrong with how it is? Walnut oil is good stuff but it'll take forever to harden over BLO, and I don't think it's the right finish for an axe handle.

How about rubbing a bit of beeswax over the top of what's there?.

Reactions: Bonzo Frog

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Why do you think it needs treating again, is there something wrong with how it is? Walnut oil is good stuff but it'll take forever to harden over BLO, and I don't think it's the right finish for an axe handle.

How about rubbing a bit of beeswax over the top of what's there?.

Hi Macaroon,
I wasn't sure how good a finish you get straight out of the factory and I thought to enhance it before use. I like the idea of using beeswax. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
If it keeps soaking in I keep adding it
I put BLO on nearly everything (I thin mine 50/50 white spirit )
As Macaroon says bees wax leaves a nice grippy finish to a handle

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Cheers guys, the wood seems quite dry so it looks like a coat or two of BLO and finished off with beeswax. Do you recommend a pure beeswax as I have a good quality furniture wax which says it contains beeswax/carnauba wax, would that do?

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
I made my own from some bees wax, turpentine and linseed oil, (equal parts)
Your furniture wax sounds like it would work, if it doesn't you could always sand it off,
Got to be worth a try

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Oil it till it stops drinking it up is what I tend to do. Then twice yearly. Never had any issues with that.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why do you need to oil it more than the manufacturer did?

It might need a coat every year or every other year. Unless you break the handle, it will last you for decades!
You do not want to make the wood slippery or shiny.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Why do you need to oil it more than the manufacturer did?

It might need a coat every year or every other year. Unless you break the handle, it will last you for decades!
You do not want to make the wood slippery or shiny.

It seems very dry and certainly needs something, (not just my opinion, others have said so too) I'm currently soaking the head then I'll oil it until it stops drinking as R Lewis has said. I'll just make sure I don't over do it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The old advice is that you oil it once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then once a year for life.

Feels a tad excessive to me but it'll certainly give it a good dose. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Without knowing, I suspect that the manufacturer has a good sense for wood finishing unless they expect DIY.

I would not try the Charles' Law wood heating trick now. Raw dry wood is altogether different.
All that can do is drive out the factory finish and you will have a right mess to recover.

Hickory (Carya sp) is a group of 12 species in North America. Very large vessels so
the infiltration of preservatives and finishes ought to be easier than most others.

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
@Janne,
I thin my linseed oil with 50% white spirit and put more coats on until it stops soaking in, when the handles are dry they will take a few coats,
Then I coat them with my bees wax, turpentine and linseed oil (equal parts) mix
This one has pine tar added to the mix
This I heat in to the wood with a hot air gun

Added, if you finish your handle with a rasp then oil it, it will remain 'grippy' .if you finish you handle with 1000grit sand paper and oil it, it will remain very smooth

sMT3CJV.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Trotsky

I made my own "linwax" by melting beeswax into linseed oil (not boiled) in a double boiler and allowing it to cool in a jam jar. The result is rather like shoe polish, rub a thin coat of it over the whole axe, head and handle, allow to dry for a while and buff off. It gives a nice finish, helps with grip on the handle and keeps moisture off the head, win win.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
On my Gränsfors hatchet, I applied two coats of BLO after 2 or 3 years.
I use it weekly. It is now around 8 years old, but still looks good, and I have a good grip.

I do not want to have a grip weak enough that the head can easily twist sideways when I use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE