Avian Cold Case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Only going by the colour of the feather possibly a pigeon, but with that white splash on the boulder maybe a heron.
The feather looks like 100% buzzard to me. The droppings could just as easily be the predators.

PS Well that will teach me to read the whole story before making a comment.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
not sure about the predator at all, but i reckon those hazelnuts were probably eaten by a some sort of vole!

stuart

Good spot. They were all eaten by squirrels. I was looking for vole and mouse examples when I found the kill.

Yep, everyone who said buzzard was spot on. If I hadn't found that feather, my money would have been on Sparrowhawk too. It was a very tight space for such a large bird.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Probably why he lost a feather, ....was there any blood or body parts around, this doesn't look like the scene of the crime to me.

Yeah, it was further back That's where the pigeons head was. My camera deleted the first pic as I was too quick resetting it to take the next.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE