Avian Cold Case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got to admit, I was surprised by this one. Very enclosed space both aerially and ground wise. I had to force my way into the area and cut branches to get to the plucking post. How that area became used or what/how the predator and prey got in there is anyones guess.

So, who is the prey, and who is the predator? I'll ;eave further definitive sign a little later on.

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Since the feathers were plucked I would say the murderer was a sparrowhawk but the victim has me stumped, the only young ( looks like it had started it's autumn moult) grey bird I can thnk of is a dove of some kind but I'm not convinced.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Interesting. All the large feathers I could find around the area were not fully developed, just like those on the plucking post you see in that picture. Many of them still had a large blood supply to them at the time of plucking too.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looks like Wood Pigeon?

Some shafts appear bitten as opposed to plucked.

If a Pigeon, could the predator be a Goshawk?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is the predator a corvid?

Nope. Although I was followed around on foot by a crow with white wing tips and tail feathers most of the afternoon. Very tame and walked behind me for an hour or so. Stood a metre away from me as I was cooking some hot pot. Even preened itself at one point while it was on the boil. Ate some of my hot pot, then calmly walked back the way we had come. Very strange.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Those feathers looked massive on my phone screen last night. Not so much on my computer screen now.
I'll scratch that cider induced idea. Don't think it's pigeon though, I'm tempted to say it's a gull.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The predated bird was a young wood pigeon. Difficult one that. Here's a further, and pretty decisive clue to the predator....

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not sure about the predator at all, but i reckon those hazelnuts were probably eaten by a some sort of vole!

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE