Authentic Culloden Sporran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's fantastic, really authentic looking as someone said. Superb mate. Love the belt closure too, never seen that before. Really beautiful.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The original one had mellowed over time with the weight and use and the whole piece had draped forward. This meant that the belt was sitting high in the slots and the top cover actually lay almost flat over the front.
In doing so it totally hid any of the stitching seams of the main bag and kept the contents secure and dry.
The leather was still supple, very 'skin' like feel to it, and it was black. Not black black from dye, but from the natural hide.
The major export from the Highlands for centuries was the trade in black cattle. Small, hardy, good eating and excellent skins, these beasts were walked down the traditional drove roads to Perth, Stirling, Edinburgh and sometimes further south too.

I found Eric's comment about the Canadian possibles pouch to be another fascinating bit of social history :D

The belt too is another piece.
There's a traditional Gaelic song, from around the time of the sporran, translated now by Roddy MacMillan as, 'I will go'.
Dharma sang it down at Wayland's meet up at Murton recently, and he thought that the words in the chorus might really refer to a small shield, but we pointed out that they were really just his pride in his outfit, that he was going to do something with his life, see the world kind of thing........

"I've a buckle on my belt, a sword in my scabbard,
A red coat on my back and a shilling in my pocket, "

Big metal buckles were 'bling', expensive, not something folks could make for themselves, simple belts such as the one Eric shows are very effective :D

cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Beautiful piece of work Eric. I like the simplicity, and the fact there is no buckles or rivets involved.

Really interesting to think this design might well be an ancestor to the Amerian's possibles pouches.

Last edited:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Lovely, and I would also like to know why it was worn on the front. Maybe to stop the kilt lifting in the wind? Keep all your valuables together :)

Tam

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a very similar sporran for daywear.
It holds an amazing amount.
As to why the front, it's a convenient place to have it.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Echoing the replies here already, that's a lovely looking piece of work.

Thanks for sharing it with us Toddy and Eric. I just love seeing history brought to life once again like this. Never liked the traditional type of sporran, it's just too fancy schmancy wehereas that I'd be proud of wearing, even as a codpiece. Early type of cricketers box perhaps? I know I'd feel happeir having my tackle protected by something like that in front of me.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
That is beautiful.
My wife has just informed me that I now need one to complete my outfit for our forthcoming blessing.

Any representations I have made about not having the skill do do this are being ignored and i'm getting the "LOOK". I had hoped she would be content with my, soon to be, home made Sgian Dubh finishing my outfit.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
It would depend on whether the owner was in battle, training for battle or working in the fields. The belt would have been leather, about three quarters to an inch wide and would have been with a leather buckle most likely similar to the bottom one in this picture.
sm-crannog001.jpg

Eric,

Where would I be able to buy a belt like that? I've never seen such a simple and clean design :)

(The sporran is ace, too, by the way!)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Eric,

Where would I be able to buy a belt like that? I've never seen such a simple and clean design :)

(The sporran is ace, too, by the way!)

Well, seeing as I make them, and have never had the need to look to buy one - I don't have a clue where you'd be able to buy one.
However, if you PM me I may be able to make one for you. Alternatively, you could always make yourself one. It's a simple design and I'd be happy to talk you through it.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE