Auscam Hootchie or British Basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
From what they say in their online catalog, Woodlore don't sell the Auscam version any more, only olive green.

Pros and cons, well, the Aussie sheet has slightly better thought out placement of loops. The British ones are a lot cheaper. Quality wise, I think that the Aussie one is higher.

This is my favorite from SASS: http://www.sasskit.co.uk/products/militaryfoulweathershelters/aussiehootchiebasha.htm

For the original Aussie sheet, I think Woodland Organics sell the Auscam version http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/sleeping/index.htm

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Be aware that there are alot of cheap bashas/hoochies made in the far east that are advertised as aussie hoochies.... if you want a genuine one you will have to shop around.... even some austrailian shops are unable to get the genuine articles and now sell copies.

On a side note, arktis do a range of basha's in a variety of patterns including auscam, never tried on though so I'm not sure on the quality but generally (as a company) they are good.... I have an arktis day sack and its superb.... well I did have one till karen saw it ;-)

Ed

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the aussie hootchie is p.u. coated, the brit lightweight shelter is like a sort of silnylon, so there's nothing to delaminate. so obviuosly the aussie hootchie is waterproof to a higher pressure. it doesn't make any difference when they're being used as shelters, but those in the know reckon you can't make the lightweight shelter into a boat.

i haven't played a great deal with the aussie hootchie, but it does have a few press-studs on it. i would think that they could be used to attach two hootchies together, or you could make a basic bedroll with one. aussie hootchie owners please chime in and confirm.....

so aussie hootchie, auscam groovy jellybean camo, heavier, more features, more costly. brit lightweight shelter, DPM camo, lighter, simpler, cheaper.

cheers, and.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Pretty much nailed it Sargey. As a seller of the genuine article I will echo Ed's advice to watch out for the far eastern copies too.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hello,

I've recently seen the British Army Basha available for £20 online from the same company that I did my recent course with. having used one such basha on the course I would like to buy one. However the site has been refurbished and for some reason all that i can now see on there is the jungle basha. Does anybody know where I can get the British Army Basha?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
You might also try making your own tarp. Ray Jardine gives extensive instructions in his "Beyond Backpacking" and "Ray-Way Tarp Book," the latter being geared towards the kits he sells to make the job easier. Jardine's designs are excellent (I subscribed to the Golite e-mail list and won one of theirs some time ago. They're a bit overpriced if you buy them new) but the features that make them so suitable as ultralight tent replecements also make them a little less versatile than the simple, sheet-like traditional tarps, such as the Aussie and British army models. Making a simple sheet tarp yourself obviously allows you to tailor materials, colour/pattern and attachment points precisely, and the amount and complexity of the sewing is suitable even for the novice.

A quick search for materials should point you to suppliers of seconds-grade fabrics, too, which often have only cosmetic flaws and keep the cost right down for top-spec stuff.

Even if you don't fancy doing it yourself, or recruiting a friendly machinist to do the sewing for you, I would certainly suggest taking a look at some of the ultralight hiking pages on the 'net to give you an idea of the performance of different materials and types. If I recall, a British supplier of ultralight equipment, Hike-Light I believe (I'll see if I can find their site and post a link), are currently offering certain Golite models with free net tents, designed to keep the winged nasties away. Again, if you want to sew one yourself have a look at Jardine's books, although reviews suggest that his net tent attachment for the tarp he designed is a bit of a contortionist's job when it comes to getting inside.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Lurch said:
You'll find an awful lot of militaria gets described as ex-SAS on ebay.
Just like there are far more people who claim to be ex-regiment than ever have been....

The Regiment appears to have grown somewhat to about 3000 people, by my reckoning at the moment. Surely that would be good as there would be more surplus kit for us lot? Tongue Firmly In Cheek :wink:

I have the Aus version in olive green: don't panic everyone, it still works even if it isn't jelly bean cam, honest!

Reminds me - someone owes me a jelly bean cam jacket...must chase that up.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I saw one on some program and tha jacket was the only reason he was seen.

from the couple of books I've read. It seems the SAS get about 150 people trying on each selection and they have 2 a year thats 300 a year and they have a 95% failure rate, thats 15 guys a year

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
bothyman said:
Hike Light ?? Is this it??

It has an interesting links page

>> http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/ :wave:

That's the one. I found them originally when I was trying to find some silicon sealant for the seams on my Golite Cave tarp. The articles and links do make it a bit more interesting than simply a standard commercial site, but the service is noteable too.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I recently bought 2 Australian Hootchies. One from the Ray mears online shop and one from an e-bay seller "Genuine Australian Hootch".

Both are Olive Green.

The ray mears one cost me 35 quid including delivery, the ae-bay one cost me 29 quid with 2 quid (or there abouts) p&p.

The one bought from Rays site is a branny... even the glue used to reinforce the tape loops is still slightly tacky...

The one bought from e-bay is used. In general not bad condition, no holes just a few patches where the pu has de-laminated. A few of the press-studs are flattened making them pretty useless... but otherwise not bad condition..

The fabric is noticably different. The one bought from Rays site feels much more substantial, more army issue poncho weight (not heavy but good quality, if ya know what i mean...) The one i bought off e-bay is quite thin fabric, has a "cheap waterproof clothing" feel to it, It is a bit lighter than the "Ray" hootchie but not too noticable...

I suppose what i am getting at here is... forget e-bay unless one comes up very cheap. For a saving of 3 quid, you get a second hand, in no way perfect and maybe "slightly less than genuine" product. When for a minimal additional investment you get a new product, that appears to be better quality and a returns policy.

As for comparing it too the british army equiv. The british army basha that I have come across (new fabric) was slightly shorter than the Aus one. The guy using it was more than happy though, and he picked his up new for 20 quid from an army surplus place.... I think it came with guy lines too (both my sheets required guy lines... which adds to the price further). The newer fabric seemed more than adequate, and i like the fact there is nothing there to delaminate... although if you look after it properly, laminated fabrics should last quite a long time.....

G:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
bigjackbrass said:
That's the one. I found them originally when I was trying to find some silicon sealant for the seams on my Golite Cave tarp. The articles and links do make it a bit more interesting than simply a standard commercial site, but the service is noteable too.

How do you find the Golite stuff jack? some of it looks good but it seems fairly expensive, although the offers are pretty good.

Bill

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
tenbears10 said:
How do you find the Golite stuff jack? some of it looks good but it seems fairly expensive, although the offers are pretty good.

Bill

Generally I've been quite impressed with much of the Golite gear, Bill, but the prices verge on the insane. The reason I have as much as I do is largely due to winning a gift certificate from them. If you buy from Golite Europe you also have to contend with postage costs in the region of £10.

The materials and workmanship are top notch, but not everything performs quite as hoped. I use their Coal parka as my main insulated jacket and it's superb, very warm and thoughtfully designed. The Cave tarp is excellent too (a Ray Jardine design, although he seems to have had something of a falling out with the company and you won't see any mention of him in their literature any longer), but on the other hand their supposedly waterproof stuffsack is nothing of the sort. I used one as a rucksack liner, put the pack down on wet grass for the few minutes it took to erect my Macpac tent and was then faced with a bag full of water. Rain may bounce off the stuff but clearly any sort of pressure simply forces the water through. Likewise I had to seam-seal their otherwise excellent umbrella to make it waterproof.

The key thing to remember is that Golite are obsessed with weight. Trimming ounces is their raison d'etre, and they are not primarily concerned with bushcraft activities. You may well find that some of their kit is simply not intended to receive the sort of hard use that it might get out in the woods, but on the trail it's a revelation. The Breeze rucksack, for example, is a classic, but some users have reported that the bottom of the pack can wear through very quickly. Luckily I tend to be fairly kind to my kit. PM me if you need any more specifics, as I think I'm veering rather badly off the original topic by now.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
The British Army has come along way over the last 10 years with its kit. Once upon a time, it used to supply the soldiers with the cheapest option. That is no longerthe norm, and with the new light weight basha, the defence procument team has Succumbed them selves. As well as being a very effective light weight basha, it has also incorporated the added functions of being employed as an improvised floatation device and a stretcher. My money is on the Basha. :beerchug:

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE