Ash Stave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've got a small axe head that needs a handle. Can anyone point me in the direction of some ash that doesn't need to be harvested from a living tree?

Ta.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its pretty quick to season is ash, very low MC to start with. Cut it, work it down green and leave it indoors or outside under cover.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Good to know. Cheers. Problem is, if I start cutting off eight inch limbs down at the local forest, someone's gonna get the hump. I was hoping to source some legitimately. Don't mind paying, just don't want to fall foul of the rozzers.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Try the lumber section of your local DIY. The might have stave blanks.

Our lumber yards tend to have pine, chipbaord, pine and....plastic.
My local hardware shop does do shafts for axes which are usually hickory. I would just ask one of your local rangers for a spare bit or look around wasteland, there is always an ash sapling going begging somewhere.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our lumber yards tend to have pine, chipbaord, pine and....plastic.
My local hardware shop does do shafts for axes which are usually hickory. I would just ask one of your local rangers for a spare bit or look around wasteland, there is always an ash sapling going begging somewhere.

Sorry, it was a thought. Begs the question though; Chris, why ash instead of hickory?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry, it was a thought. Begs the question though; Chris, why ash instead of hickory?

Dont apologise its completely rubbish over here for lumber. If you get stuck OP and your ever passing this way i can sort you out with either willow, elm, yew and may even have a bit of ash knocking about. I would post it but the cost would be daft.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I've only ever seen hickory 'ready-mades'. What the dealio with that? I have some ash, but not thick enough for a stave. However, if I find some more I'll pass it on.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's much appreciated.

I chose ash as it's strong and flexible, so hopefully will absorb impact with out breaking. I was also guessing it was more readily available. I managed to find a local hardwood supplier and had a look in today. They had plenty of ash, but no off-cuts the right size. Turns out that they've just had a clear out so a lot has been chucked. They did, however, say that they'd put a piece to one side for me and that I should call back in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE