Arum berries NOT rosehip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2007
Herne Bay, Kent
I just received my copy of Bushcraft And Survival Skills magazine through the post and was very concerned to see that in the article I wrote on page 11 my photo of Arum maculatum berries has been mislabled as rosehip. This is a serious error. Unfortunately, although I send pictures in with correct ID, after that I can do nothing if it's wrongly labled in the edit . Of course, most people will know this is clearly not a rose hip. Be warned, the berries of A. maculatum contain high levels of oxalic acid crystals that can seriously irritate the mucous membranes leading to servere allergic reaction, they lso contain other toxic chemicals.
Be safe!
Fergus Drennan

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Lords and ladies don't look much like rosehips, so most people would know it is a mistake, but there are a few who'd take as gospel anything printed, I'd complain to the publishers

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
When I was a kid my gran used to tell me that I shouldn't eat those berries because, in her words, "That's what snakes eat to get their poison".
No doubt that's something her gran told her.

Mar 14, 2007
Herne Bay, Kent
Bushwhacker. I really like that! Sometimes we can be dismissive of folk beliefs but in practical terms they are often just as valid as statements in more scientific and botanical language. Three cheers for Granny!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They've made a very serious error. I always felt the level of QC on that publication was low - lots of typos and pagination errors. Let's hope there are no consequences.

Wow - could be some serious claims on that kind of error! - lets hope their insurance is up to date!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most importantly, they should be sending out a correction to all their subscribers as a minimum first reaction

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE