Article: Whitby & Co: Hand Warmer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've got 3 old "Empire made" hand warmers that work on the same principal.

They work really well infact they can get too hot (I burnt my leg with one in my pocket) and they smell of lighter fuel. I wouldn't recommend using one in a sleeping bag dure to the heat and smell.

Richard

tintock

Mar 11, 2009
On the end of a fishing rod...
My wife uses a couple of Peacock handwarmers of similar design to the review product for our night-time/winter sea angling sessions. They've been on the go for a good 6 years and work as well today as they did when new.

I note that the Peacocks currently sell for £25.95 + £2.95 p&p, so if the Whitby model is of similar size and heat output, then it is definitely a good buy.

THe only note of caution I would add is that the burner units will eventually burn out and require replacement - the time-frame is dependent on frequency of use, of course. I see that Whitby sell replacement burners, but I couldn't find a price on their website. The standard Peacock replacement burners currently sell for £9.50 + £1.50 p&p which, if replaced regularly, represent a significant additional cost to ownership.

Still, my wife swears by them so they are a "must-have"! And she can go one better than burning her leg, as mentioned by Richard above. In the interests of decency, I won't mention the affected body part, but the injury could only be ameliorated by compression with 2 frozen mackerel brought along for bait!!! :)

Keith

tintock

Mar 11, 2009
On the end of a fishing rod...
I have one of these, but have a real hard time getting it lit, any tips chaps?

I can't speak for the Whitby handwarmers, but they do resemble the Peacocks closely and they are very reliable. I actually phoned the the guy that sells them when I had a similar problem. He told me simply to hold the handwarmer upside down while lighting it. Works a treat! Also, you may need a new burner as they become less effective after a while.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I've got it down now, it seems that after a few burns it's a lot easier to light for some reason- the element takes to glowing almost instantly now.... strange huh?

doctorrez

Feb 18, 2012
London
Just to let you know these are made in the same factory as the peacocks and zippo...peacocks have the best build quality but otherwise the same.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I go to a local petrol station to get diesel for my kerosene lamp. While I am there it would be handy fill another small fuel bottle up with petrol to fill a hand warmer back at me camp.

Has anyone used petrol in a hand warmer?

Cheers.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Has anyone used petrol in a hand warmer? ...

Don't do it. It will stink and you'll wreck the catalyst. I had one that someone had used with road fuel and it took weeks to get it going again.

I have about half a dozen of these things, mostly Zippo but one Whitby and a couple of others. The Whitby is easier to fill, but all give good service.

I reckon they burn for quite a bit longer than the 12 hours it says in the Zippo instructions, I get more than that even on a half fill.

I do use them in a sleeping bag, but down near my feet because they do tend to smell of fuel a bit.

Mostly I keep two or three of them in my pockets when I'm on stag at a badger sett.

I find lighting them is easiest if I put a couple of drops of fuel on the catalyst and light that. You get a sooty yellow flame for a few seconds then it glows red.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yes, I will keep a few in a thermal suit, two one the body and two at the tops of legs.

It will be a heated insulated suit then. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE