Article: Survival Cooking & Water Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Thanks for posting your experiments, which I found very interesting. Larger pictures would be nice.

Round my neck of the woods its mostly drift geology deposited by glaciers some 10k years ago, so its quite a mix of interesting looking pebbles of uncertain origin. Our solid geology is sandstone, which I guess will be so porous it'll just explode. But I feel an experiment coming on!

Looking forward to reading the results of your further tests.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Thank you, a very intersting article.

When you have done your experiments can you give us an idea of how long it takes to get the water to boil? This depend of course on volume of water, air temp etc, etc. But I am interested in general terms is it a 10, 20 or 30 min task.

Have fun and keep us all posted.

Sandsnakes

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always dipped the hot rocks in a "dirty water" bath to rinse of loose ash before putting them in the cooking vessel. Cold rocks were removed from the cooking vessel as I added new ones - otherwise the pot filled up too quickly.
It is a while (over 10 years!) since I have done this and cannot recall what rocks I used (black as I recall) nor the boiling times - but is quicker than you might imagine!
With a good supply of rocks at the right heat it only took a few minutes to boil a couple of litres - if my memory is not playing me false...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE