Article: Red Crayfish Invasion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Just come back from a trip home in Hampshire. Had a days fishing on Basingstoke canal.
Caught 2 of these beasts. The baliff told us to take them home and eat them or destroy them but don't put them back.
They've become a real epidemic. In a stretch of water nearer Reading they used commercial fishermen to try and take them and in the space of a week they removed 50,000!!

Down there they believe a restaurant by the water in reading shut down so an empolyee just threw them into the river without thinking. It's gonna be a hell of a job getting rid of them.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I was of the impression that it's a fungal infection the reds carry that is largely responsible for the white claws demise rather than the reds just competing with and eating them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was of the impression that it's a fungal infection the reds carry that is largely responsible for the white claws demise rather than the reds just competing with and eating them.

Yeah, that's true, although no doubt the reds will out compete for food and eat them too.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Is it true that it is illeagal the put a red crayfish back in the water if you catch one?

We should just hire John Prescott for a week, he could eat them into extinction!

R

RICKY RASPER

I guess the crayfish must have heard about the new immigration terms and made a dash for dear old blighty:grouphug::grouphug: .

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
In London now eh? Watch the problem get the attention it deserves now it's affecting the capital. It's the same with all news. The north of the UK can be under 4 feet of snow for 2 weeks and get a mention every other day but when 4 inches falls in London 75% of the news coverage will be all about the "unprecedented conditions bringing the country to a halt".
I'm in no way advocating anything so rash but you have to wonder if the worst affected areas would the the environmental disasters they are now if someone had released signals into the fish ponds of selected members of the royal family and house of lords when they first became established in the wild. I suspect it would have got a lot more attention a lot sooner.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
1 - pound crawdads (crayfish), cooked and cleaned
8 - ounces smoked sausage
1/2 - pound fresh (preferred) or frozen okra
1 - medium brown onion
1 - can whole tomatoes
8 - ounces frozen corn
1 - teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 - teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 - pint half and half
2 - cups water
2 – tablespoons creole or cajun seasoning

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Would like to see more info on how they interact with the Signals.
Never seen any reds in the rivers in the Dales. But there are lots of Signals. Who eat all the Grannom and fly life from the rocks. The staples of the Brown Trout. However, I know of people who have caught Wild Brownies, with Signals in their stomachs!

Some good info on Crayfish here: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/water-life-forums/3952-signal-crayfish-4.html

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Would like to see more info on how they interact with the Signals.
Never seen any reds in the rivers in the Dales. But there are lots of Signals. Who eat all the Grannom and fly life from the rocks. The staples of the Brown Trout. However, I know of people who have caught Wild Brownies, with Signals in their stomachs!

Some good info on Crayfish here: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/water-life-forums/3952-signal-crayfish-4.html

Crawdads of all species are common fish bait here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE