Article: MX3 Adventure Meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I see Mr Fenna has tried a couple of these, I would normally make my own food from fresh rations. I have used compo & ration packs which I found quite nice(Some of it) too. have you used these items before or similar. I once used those self heating cans a long while back nearly burnt my bl**dy hand off. I have seen lots of these foods available in camping/hiking shops but never tried them maybe in the future, thanks good review.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I tend to buy a lot of things like ready cooked, microwave egg fried rice/ chicken fried rice from Home bargains £0.49p each. Obviously I don't microwave em I stir fry them. They also sell sachets of sauce, 4 for a pound, korma, sweet & sour etc. make a cracking meal, especially the korma, scrummy. BB dates are for ages and don't need fridging. Perfect for me.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good review, thanks. I'm interested in these so went to bushgear to have a look. Have not yet managed to find the organic meals you mention ... been looking for 20 mins. Even a direct search for Organic Chicken Couscous didn't bring it up (don't mean that how it sounds!). The NASA ice creams made me grin, that took me back :).
I'm very chary of this sort of thing as I don't know where the ingredients come from but may give 'em a try if I can find the organic ones.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good review, thanks. I'm interested in these so went to bushgear to have a look. Have not yet managed to find the organic meals you mention ... been looking for 20 mins. Even a direct search for Organic Chicken Couscous didn't bring it up (don't mean that how it sounds!). The NASA ice creams made me grin, that took me back :).
I'm very chary of this sort of thing as I don't know where the ingredients come from but may give 'em a try if I can find the organic ones.

It might be worth giving them a phone call...

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I've been tempted by these (or similar) on several occasions, but as convenient as they are, I simply can't justify paying a fiver for a single meal. You can get packs of dried, flavoured pasta that cook just as easily, except the contents go in the pan rather than the other way around. Okay, so you have a pan to wash, but when you're saving £4 on each meal I think it's worth it.

Still a great review, mind.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Anybody know of any decent sealable pouches that could be used for making our own meal packs?

I came across Poly-Lina Pour & Store pouches but am yet to try any. Just wondered if anybody knew of any other suitable solutions?

Ive used MX3 on expeditions before where taking "your own" food is out of the question. Expensive - yes, but they do the job and have more calories than MH and other brands,

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Anybody know of any decent sealable pouches that could be used for making our own meal packs?

I came across Poly-Lina Pour & Store pouches but am yet to try any. Just wondered if anybody knew of any other suitable solutions?

I find these Pour and Store bags invaluable and have yet to find a better. I use them to reconstitute things like couscous, noodles and mashed potato by pouring water into the bag rather than making up in the pot. Just like the expensive traifood bags! This leaves the remaining hot water in the pot for a brew, eliminates washing up the pot and the pour and store bag can be chucked if not possible to clean. Following another member's tip, I put the reconstituting mix in a pot cosy until ready.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE