Article: Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 24, 2010
lanaken belgium
This knive is simply to expensive,but I think Mora will raise all the kinve prices, but £55 compared to a good Mora knfe with a normal price of about £15 means that you`re paying £40 for a piece of plastic whit a firesteel in it and a small diamond sharpener, i think you can do better everywhere, here for example LIGHT MY FIRE ARMY OAK SWEDISH FIRESTEEL - Bushcraft
s.gif

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Well, clearly it's rubbish - I can tell that straight away from the pictures, so ignored the rest of the test. First of all, it doesn't have any orange on it, so won't be visible when you drop it. Its way too slim so will break at the first gust of wind, and lacks any serrations, so it won't cut rope or tin cans safely. There are no fixings to make a spear with it. Finally, and most importantly, there are no safety or survival instructions attached. An everyone knows that any knife which doesn't cost as much as a Woodlore is useless in the real world. How anyone would buy this and trust their life to it is totally beyond me................

Dec 25, 2011
Belgium
Here is the answer I got from Mora Sweden as far as the differences between Mora Bushcraft Forest and Mora Bushcraft Survival are concerned:
There is some significant differances:
The Morakniv Bushcraft Forest, Forest Camo, Desert, Desert Camo and Signal has a profile grinding at the tip (point), same as Mora 2000.
The Morakniv Bushcraft Force and Survival has no such grinding and has a more rigid blade. However the Survival has not been polished and therefore has sharp corners on the blade spine to strike the Fire Starter (the spine on Force is polished and the corners and slightly rounded)
The Morakniv Bushcraft Triflex has a corbon steel blade with a soft (not hardened surface ~0,1mm) and will take a lot more bending force before braking.
So ther are two major differences; The grinding at the tip and the polishing of the blade on Forest wich has been left out on the Survival.
Thomas Eriksson
Mora of Sweden

Dec 25, 2011
Belgium
With a bit of price hunting on the internet you can buy the Mora Bushcraft Survival for 45 € = 37 £. Apart from the minor differences the Forest, which is basically the same knife to me but without the firesteel and diamond sharpener, can be bought for 28 € = 23 £. It seems the Mora firesteel is very good, still I prefer to buy and carry it apart from the knife. The Bushcraft Survival does also exist in a version with lime accents in the handle so that it can be spotted easier on the forest floor. If you prefer a knife with serrations (lots of people consider this as a weakness on the blade especially if they are the dented serrations, unless they are on the spine) you have to make the choice for one with serrations. I have never heard of buying a (survival) knife for the main reason that it carries safety or survival instructions, unless you are referring to the Bear Grylls ? (I find this one way too heavy to carry on a long trek ). This knowledge should be carried in your head and your experience. Every survival sitation calls for a different approach you will have to judge, it does not go along following instructions. As for myself, I am not gonna trust my life to whatever knife, I will rather put my confidence in my physical shape and totality of my kit and tools.
Apart from the holes that are not in the Mora, you still get a lot of knife for a little money, but the Bushcraft Survival is indeed too expensive compared to their other knives. Marketing called for a specific "survival" knife I guess.

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
Well, clearly it's rubbish - I can tell that straight away from the pictures, so ignored the rest of the test. First of all, it doesn't have any orange on it, so won't be visible when you drop it. Its way too slim so will break at the first gust of wind, and lacks any serrations, so it won't cut rope or tin cans safely. There are no fixings to make a spear with it. Finally, and most importantly, there are no safety or survival instructions attached. An everyone knows that any knife which doesn't cost as much as a Woodlore is useless in the real world. How anyone would buy this and trust their life to it is totally beyond me................

Serrations are an absolute disadvantage on a knife it has been proven time and time again a well maintained straight blade cuts rope more efficiently than a serrated blade.
Have you ever tried to make feather sticks with a serrated blade or gut, skin and butcher a moose, elk or deer with one. Orange is a poor colour because of red light shift it disappears in certain light conditions. United Nations Blue is a better option as the blue light shift is more visible in a greater range of light conditions. Use a constrictor hitch to attach it to a wooden shaft to make a spear, better still fire harden a carved wooden tip, or make a bone spear tip. Mora knives perform well there is no need to spend excessive amounts on woodlore knife, unless of course you want to for your knife collection. A mora does it all from cutting trees down to skinning animals to carving spoons all at a reasonable price. If you need survival instructions attached to your knife may I humbly advise that you stay in doors or attend a few more courses.
Be careful out there my Cheechako friend it is a veritable jungle!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Andy BB

Serrations are an absolute disadvantage on a knife it has been proven time and time again a well maintained straight blade cuts rope more efficiently than a serrated blade.
Have you ever tried to make feather sticks with a serrated blade or gut, skin and butcher a moose, elk or deer with one. Orange is a poor colour because of red light shift it disappears in certain light conditions. United Nations Blue is a better option as the blue light shift is more visible in a greater range of light conditions. Use a constrictor hitch to attach it to a wooden shaft to make a spear, better still fire harden a carved wooden tip, or make a bone spear tip. Mora knives perform well there is no need to spend excessive amounts on woodlore knife, unless of course you want to for your knife collection. A mora does it all from cutting trees down to skinning animals to carving spoons all at a reasonable price. If you need survival instructions attached to your knife may I humbly advise that you stay in doors or attend a few more courses.
Be careful out there my Cheechako friend it is a veritable jungle!

It appears irony is a lost art:)
Sorry Mahikan, I was having a gentle poke at those who immediately write off bits of gear because of its looks or price, without ever having tried one. The BG Ultimate knife being a classic case in point!

Oh, and by the way, if you had ever had to try to cut loose some nylon lobster-pot rope that had tangled itself around the propshaft on your boat and jammed it up solid, then you might revise your opinion of serrated blades. I have had to tackle just that, several times, underwater in the English Channel in autumn - trust me, you'll soon see how much more effective is a serrated edge than even a well-honed straight edge.....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE