Article: Making Charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Good article Tony ! thanks for sharing !
recently I made my first charcloth , I didn't really read or watching anything about it , I just put a piece of cloth 100% cotton in an altoids tin , then I out a hole on the top and put it in the fire , after that in a few minutes or seconds fire started coming out of that hole , when the fire was not coming out of the hole anymore I took it out of the fire and let it to cool down a little , after I used it it , worked great , did I do anything wrong ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It worked - you did it right :)
Sometimes the smoke (incomplete combustion) ignites and roars like a jet engine - just wait until the flames die down to a match-flame size-ish or go out - just as if the smoke the smoke has not ignited...

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Last night we had a joint Cub and Beaver evening, and so I made a fire for them to cook twists on. I also took the opportunity to make some Char cloth.
I followed this method and I now have a container full of char cloth...................So, thank you.

hhhmmmm..... I never plugged the hole after taking my tin off and so far had no issues with oxygen entering.....

I already mentioned in another thread: one neat trick I found on the net is to have the hole in the side of the tin: holes matching for making charcloth, holes not matching(=lid twisted around) for storage to reduce risk of moisture entering

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good tip that, it would make things easier in a way, although I supposed being able to shove a stick int eh hole rather than having to handle the hot tin could have it's advantages...

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Did a batch in the good ladies flat a fair few years ago while she was at work, came out a treat, but alas the extractor for the hob wasn't up to the job. Only complete denial saved me (what smell?). She knows I did something, and its still bought up on occasion even now, total denial is still working a treat :neo2:

May 14, 2012
Felsted
I use and old golden syrup tin, the lid can be firmly closed and i seal the hole in the lid with a nail, the plus side on first use is the smell of cooking golden syrup and it doesn't matter how well you wash the tin the smell still comes out. TASTY;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE