Article: Esbit Spirit Stove, a review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Interesting write up Graham.
I like the look of it, also that it fits inside the main pot for storage.
What I am unsure of is how the flames come out of the side like in the picture, instead of out of the slots under the pot evenly.
It looks like it has a built in windshield, that's handy.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I got a draft just as I took the picture, which made the flame bloom out.
Made for a good picture.
The flames do indeed come out of the slots at the top if there is no wind.
The support will do limited duty as a windshield, but I suspect it would be improved by having a separate one to improve performance.
It's certainly not as well wind protected as a Trangia.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I have one. It's decent for the price, but I generally prefer using a penny-stove (home-made) with my EvernewDX stand, which is much smaller and lighter than the Esbit setup. Plus the DX converts to burn twigs, which can be done with the Esbit -but the feet will melt!

I have one to. I use an aluminium bendable windscreen around it.
The pot is nice to poor water out just as a kettle.
It is silence.
Usually twig burners arent made of aluminium and jeffz is right : the feet will melt so that,s not really an option.
I use the pot mainly as a kettle on my woodstove in my tent. The burner is a backup, or for lunch to heat some bevarage.
I travel by canoe, so I find it light enough.
It is a nice litle set. Simple and affordable.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
This is the kind of product I spend more time obsessing about, than a grown man really should.

It is small, compact and pretty lightweight. Plus it gives you at least two fuel options, which is always good (and possibly three if the solid fuel plate can accommodate ethanol gel).

While I'm always on the look out for new cooking kit, I've pretty much already got this set up already, made up of existing solo cooking pots and home made stand / wind shield and my ever faithful Trangia burner.

But what this product does have, which I do not, and what I am getting a tad excited about, is the simmer ring with a fold out handle.

How useful is that :D

As I've already got usable version of all but one of the components, I'd be reluctant to shell out for mostly more of the same gear. But if you can buy the simmer ring with fold out handle separately, I'd definitely get one (probably two).

So do any of you folks know if you can buy such a simmer ring on its own.
I had a look, but Google said no

Cheers,

Colin

Jan 15, 2012
essex
You can buy the whole burner unit for about 12 to 15 pounds. i was thinking of getting ones of these cooksets for my boy, he whould love cooking himself and this would be safer for him, i would be next to him at all times.

Dec 12, 2012
godalming
it looks good Ive not used one yet but i will give it a go i think that the design is
a little to big compared with the fold out military esbit that can be taken
any where

have a good one

surrey hills bush craft

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE