Is there a "stove" for Dutch Army Canteens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello, Does there exist such a thing (a Stove) ,as what BCB makes for the 58 canteen, for the Dutch Canteen to heat a brew?
I'm only aware of the pliable esbit stove, but that is not really where i'm after.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've got a Dutch army canteen and two canteen cups. I've also got a US army canteen and cup and issue canteen stove similar to those suggested above. While the Dutch cups are very similar to the American ones and you can make the canteen stove work, they don't fit together as nicely.

Reactions: Ystranc

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You could try if the French Esbit stove works with the Durch mug.

If not you get the currently issued French steel mug and 1,3 litres plastic bottle from de Buyer.
(Bidon et quart de l'Armée Française)
A cotton pouch with 4 press buttons you find everywhere in France. (Housse de Gourde AF)

There is a reason why the French army issues 1,3 litre bottles. And you live where it's sensible.

Reactions: Ystranc

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
French stove not very stable with that mug. I’ve tried them in the past to see if they would work because their so light but the slightest wind made it unstable.
At the time I was looking for smaller items to replace the hexi stove and a bit more than just nails.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
One other point I remember if you look how smooth the 2 top bars on the stove are. Any slight uneven ground also made the mug slide and what ground is fully level.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The old bottle pouches had two press buttons. Then they got an additional pair, now you could carry bottle, mug and stove or just bottle and mug. The newest that I have seen have only two press buttons.
And the stoves hit the surplus market unused. The stove exists only in aluminium like alu bottle and alu cup that were issued with it.
The maker of the current steel mug and plastic bottle de Buyer doesn't offer a stove.

I know that they issued in the field ration packages the flat throw away Esbit stoves. But may be they decided to do it because the other stoves didn't convince?

Three years ago I asked a French army officer that I met somewhere why the bottle pouch has 4 press buttons and he couldn't tell it me. It seems that he didn't know or forgot that there was this stove ones upon a time. But the stove must be the reason for the second pair of buttons at the pouch. For me that's obvious although I never tried out the fit.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Flexi stoves works well other than that German esbit .does it have to nest with the cup or just be fold up maybe a small griddle that sits on top of a trangia stove will work for you well

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 10

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
If you are talking about the Oval mug set, Then the crusader MK1 and Mk2 will work but the stoves are a lot bigger than the cup. Also the pathfinder stoves. The Swedish M40 stove/wind guard is too big for the cup, Trangia with a cross on top work well with a small packable windshield.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE