Artic Survival Course??? Co-op basis.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
I'd also say basic, I've just done a survival corse in the UK catching food, building shelters,making fire ect but having never been in such a cold environment I wouldn't know where to start.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Need to make it clear in the post above is the course directors suggestion, not mine. Not that i'm saying i disagree with him just wanted the opinions to be gathered.

Ref dates wise, depends on how quickly we can mobilize and sort every one out, so going by this pace so far its going to take a while...lol!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Shewie , Price for the survival/bushcraft course is likely to be around the 450-500 SEK.
That price , i think , when you look at what many survival/bushcraft schools are charging is quite a cost saving, however need to look in individual or group insurance.

Obviously if we want to do Husky/Dog Sledding that will be through another party and to be honest i have'nt looked at the costings for this as i felt getting the survival element was the ' meat-&-potatoes' of the proposition and the Husky bit the 'Dessert'

Was'nt there a guy here who bought a Dog sledding place out there? fendlander? ringing any bells??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
All gone very quiet here??

Any feedback people want to give me ref price etc?
Price wise , currently what do people think? Not that there is a lot i can do about it as the Sweedish Survival Guild is a non profit org.

Have PM everybody ( i think ) who showed interest to this thread and i am waiting for them to voice an opinion.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Price seems fine to me, 500 sek is £38.73 so its within my budget ;-D

But seriously i am keen as mustard to go on this trip, keep me in the loop if possible, i never got a PM??

DOH!!!!

My fault, meant to put Euro's instead of SEK,
So unfortunatley not 500 SEK but 500 euros. ( or 5000 SEK )

Apologies all around.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
DOH!!!!

My fault, meant to put Euro's instead of SEK,
So unfortunatley not 500 SEK but 500 euros.

Apologies all around.

:lmao: :lmao:

Classic :D

Still a good price for a week long course though.

Are we looking at the back end of next winter then ?

jimjolli

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2008
london
I'm checking this thread on a weekly basis so sorry for the late reply.

The basic course sounds good to me. And the price seems pretty reasonable.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK Guys , I think we can decide it's going to be the Basic Winter Skills Course.

Are a 2nd Question , I envisaged doing this with Some ( 2/3/4) husky sledding alongside to make it a bit of a Bushy experience , However I would like some feedback as the Husky Sledding i will have to sort out with a 2nd Party.

So , the question is " Do you guys want Husky Sledding as part of our experience?"
Its a group outing so it need some group input ( or at least thats how i see it )

Obiously , this wil increase the price somewhat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
OK Guys , I think we can decide it's going to be the Basic Winter Skills Course.

Are a 2nd Question , I envisaged doing this with Some ( 2/3/4) husky sledding alongside to make it a bit of a Bushy experience , However I would like some feedback as the Husky Sledding i will have to sort out with a 2nd Party.

So , the question is " Do you guys want Husky Sledding as part of our experience?"
Its a group outing so it need some group input ( or at least thats how i see it )

Personally TeeDee I'm not too bothered about the sledding this time round, but I'll go with the majority to make things easier.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
TD mentioned that most might not have a good idea of what a kit-list would look like. Here is my suggestions, with comments.

Boots You will need good boots, and it is the harderst thing to obtain outside the colder regions. If you can get your hands on them the Nokian insulated wellies are good (the Kaira model has removable felt liners, which is a very nice feature). You could get regular wellies, sized to fit over an enourmous amount of socks (I wear two _thick_ socks inside a felt liner). The skis (unless you get your own the Swedish army style is what you'll most likely end up using, and they fit on most boots, even if a square toed sole is better). Whatever you get, a high topped boot, with a lot of insulation (felt insoles are also a "must"). I often carry a "mukluk" made from suede or braintan moose and canvas to use as a camp shoe (unsuitable for skiing, unfortunately)

Socks Plenty of socks, I wear double thick socks, and bring 2 sets of spares. Always have one set in your pack, and one set drying inside your clothes (tucked into your belt and hanging inside your pants, or tied to a cord around your neck is the usual techniques). Wool, but that goes without saying.

Underwear Wool long johns and undershirt. Bring spares.

Mid layer Pants and shirt/light sweather. Again wool is the way to go. I love the old grey vadmal pants the Swedish army used to issue, but any heavy wool pant that fits well (i.e. loosely) is good. For the upper body 1-2 wool shirts or sweaters are a good choice: when you are skiing or digging you are working hard, and won't need too much insulation, but some, preferably adjustable, is needed. I often carry one wool shirt and one heavy wool sweather for this; when it is really cold I wear both, for less extreme I choose one. One thing; suspenders for the pants are a good thing.

Shell layer Snow will get in anywhere it can, and then melt and make you wet. Outher pants and smock in some suitable fabric (2 layers of cotton bed-sheet material might work fine, even if longevity might not be ideal). Or buy the military snow suit from RM or a surplus site. Your ventile stuff will work very well, of course.

Hat You will need two hats. One light knitted cap, and one thicker one. The Ullfrotte heavy balaclava is good for the light layer, and a fur or pile hat is good for the warm one. Basically the light one is for when you are working, the heavy one for when you are not. The heavy one should be adjustable to cover your neck and ears.

Scarf A knitted wool scarf is good.

Mittens I like "lovika" style knitted mittens under a leather or even fur outher glove. The lovika is knitted from extremely thick yarn, and probably not available in the UK. One could sew liners from wool blankets and get a similair result. I can post patterns for making your own mittens; it is dead easy, and you you get a fur coat at Goodwill you can look like an extra from a "Call of the Wild" remake (which is a good thing). Some thin 5 finger mittens or gloves can be nice when working with things.

Warm "camp" layer A down/synthetic jacket, and preferably insulated overpants, is needed for any breaks you take. Basically, once you stop skiing or digging you should put this on. Or a fur parka...

Sleeping kit At least one foam pad (14 mm if you can get it) and a sleeping bag rated for -35 C is my suggestion. Since most of you won't get a lot of mileage from such a bag you can take two more normal bags and use them inside each other (test!). A bivy bag made from poplin is good for when you sleep in the snow (simple to make yourself). The foam pad is doubled up with a reindeer hide (which was issued when I took the course 15 years ago). Thermarests are a bad choice, since they break and fail to work well in extreme temps.

Shovel You will need a snow shovel. This does not need to be an expedition classed one from the mountain shop, but a good small one made for motorists will do fine (i.e. you can pick them up here for SEK1-200 at any petrol station).

Saw A small saw (lapplander or buck) is useful for firewood and shelters (but not essential). Axes are good you know how to use them when cold, tired and wearing bulky clothes, so we usually do not like students having them on courses.

Knife Preferably one you can use with a glove

That is all that you will need, there might be some minor other things, such as cookpot, but this is the major ones. A headlamp is good, best is one where you can keep the batteries inside your clothes while using it (e.g Petzl Arctic). Handwarmers (the burning charcoal stick type) is nice to have.

Ahh, one thing. Backpacks. Make sure you can open and close yours wearing mittens, and actually fit all your kit inside it.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
No pm for me yet,have been checking in pretty often!
Basic good for me,price seems very fair,I have been Huskie sledging and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! ( but happy to leave it this time and learn some winter skills!)
Tee Dee,I would like to register my interest in a future jungle trip.
Thanks,speak soon I hope.
Chris.

jimjolli

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2008
london
TD mentioned that most might not have a good idea of what a kit-list would look like. Here is my suggestions, with comments.

Boots You will need good boots, and it is the harderst thing to obtain outside the colder regions. If you can get your hands on them the Nokian insulated wellies are good (the Kaira model has removable felt liners, which is a very nice feature). You could get regular wellies, sized to fit over an enourmous amount of socks (I wear two _thick_ socks inside a felt liner). The skis (unless you get your own the Swedish army style is what you'll most likely end up using, and they fit on most boots, even if a square toed sole is better). Whatever you get, a high topped boot, with a lot of insulation (felt insoles are also a "must"). I often carry a "mukluk" made from suede or braintan moose and canvas to use as a camp shoe (unsuitable for skiing, unfortunately)

Socks Plenty of socks, I wear double thick socks, and bring 2 sets of spares. Always have one set in your pack, and one set drying inside your clothes (tucked into your belt and hanging inside your pants, or tied to a cord around your neck is the usual techniques). Wool, but that goes without saying.

Underwear Wool long johns and undershirt. Bring spares.

Mid layer Pants and shirt/light sweather. Again wool is the way to go. I love the old grey vadmal pants the Swedish army used to issue, but any heavy wool pant that fits well (i.e. loosely) is good. For the upper body 1-2 wool shirts or sweaters are a good choice: when you are skiing or digging you are working hard, and won't need too much insulation, but some, preferably adjustable, is needed. I often carry one wool shirt and one heavy wool sweather for this; when it is really cold I wear both, for less extreme I choose one. One thing; suspenders for the pants are a good thing.

Shell layer Snow will get in anywhere it can, and then melt and make you wet. Outher pants and smock in some suitable fabric (2 layers of cotton bed-sheet material might work fine, even if longevity might not be ideal). Or buy the military snow suit from RM or a surplus site. Your ventile stuff will work very well, of course.

Hat You will need two hats. One light knitted cap, and one thicker one. The Ullfrotte heavy balaclava is good for the light layer, and a fur or pile hat is good for the warm one. Basically the light one is for when you are working, the heavy one for when you are not. The heavy one should be adjustable to cover your neck and ears.

Scarf A knitted wool scarf is good.

Mittens I like "lovika" style knitted mittens under a leather or even fur outher glove. The lovika is knitted from extremely thick yarn, and probably not available in the UK. One could sew liners from wool blankets and get a similair result. I can post patterns for making your own mittens; it is dead easy, and you you get a fur coat at Goodwill you can look like an extra from a "Call of the Wild" remake (which is a good thing). Some thin 5 finger mittens or gloves can be nice when working with things.

Warm "camp" layer A down/synthetic jacket, and preferably insulated overpants, is needed for any breaks you take. Basically, once you stop skiing or digging you should put this on. Or a fur parka...

Sleeping kit At least one foam pad (14 mm if you can get it) and a sleeping bag rated for -35 C is my suggestion. Since most of you won't get a lot of mileage from such a bag you can take two more normal bags and use them inside each other (test!). A bivy bag made from poplin is good for when you sleep in the snow (simple to make yourself). The foam pad is doubled up with a reindeer hide (which was issued when I took the course 15 years ago). Thermarests are a bad choice, since they break and fail to work well in extreme temps.

Shovel You will need a snow shovel. This does not need to be an expedition classed one from the mountain shop, but a good small one made for motorists will do fine (i.e. you can pick them up here for SEK1-200 at any petrol station).

Saw A small saw (lapplander or buck) is useful for firewood and shelters (but not essential). Axes are good you know how to use them when cold, tired and wearing bulky clothes, so we usually do not like students having them on courses.

Knife Preferably one you can use with a glove

That is all that you will need, there might be some minor other things, such as cookpot, but this is the major ones. A headlamp is good, best is one where you can keep the batteries inside your clothes while using it (e.g Petzl Arctic). Handwarmers (the burning charcoal stick type) is nice to have.

Ahh, one thing. Backpacks. Make sure you can open and close yours wearing mittens, and actually fit all your kit inside it.

Blimey! That's a lot of kit! Do you know if any of it can be rented when there??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , potential Interest List now stands at;-

1) TeeDee
2) Wayland
3) Chris the cat E-MAIL ADDRESS RECIEVED-THANKS
4) Wasteoid
5) Johnny The Boy
6) JimLangham
7) Shocks
8) Vmjolt
9) Logit
10) Littlebiglane
11) Scrogger
12) Sensi5446 E-MAIL ADDRESS RECEIVED THANKS.
13) Big Bear
14) Jaysurfer E-MAIL ADDRESS RECIEVED - THANKS.
15) Jimjolli E-MAIL ADDRESS RECIEVED -THANKS
16) Greg
17) Gailainne
18) Harlequin
19) Shewie

I think that is everyone?

Can i request everyone PM me with their E-mail addy so i can post here and directly?
Gimme me a couple minutes to make space in my PM box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE