Artic kit questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Those can be m/1939, m/1939-58 or even m/1958

Do you not find the fabric is very 'scratchy' ? We wore the m/1939 and m/1958 a few times and did not like it without longjohns!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Those can be m/1939, m/1939-58 or even m/1958

Do you not find the fabric is very 'scratchy' ? We wore the m/1939 and m/1958 a few times and did not like it without longjohns!

Never noticed tbh janne. Mine are very comfy I could live in them in winter

What's the big Parker I'm thinking of? Really common. One version has an insulated hood I think

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look at what the Inuit wear.
We don't consider "waterproof" at -10C and colder. The snow is like sugar, it brushes off.
I leave a car snow brush outside my door to dust myself off. in winter.

I see "Baffin" brand in Wayland's po.st = top brand and durable. Dakota is another.
The good snowmobile boots and gloves (some are plug-in electric!!) are Tolko.
Eddie Bauer down coats are good below -20C but the zippers are crap.
Pocket flaps are fairly useless, like wise.
I need parka pockets big enough and open enough to wear my Tolko gloves.

Wet boots inside? Use plastic bags to keep that moisture from wicking into your socks.
Drying? Build a serious electric boot dryer. OR, stockpile old newspapers.
Crumpled and stuffed into wet boots with many changes, excellent cheap dryers.

But, don't use woven fabric boot laces of any shape. Don't. If they get wet and freeze,
you will have troubles not only undoing them but snugging them up again.
Sure you can putz around with silicone sprays for added messy expense.

Your best choice by far are oiled leather thong lace. I'm paying $8.00 for a pair of 72" Canadians.

I am just about to hang my old Carhartt barn coat on a peg by the door and the damn grapes are still on the vine.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Look at what the Inuit wear.
We don't consider "waterproof" at -10C and colder. The snow is like sugar, it brushes off.
I leave a car snow brush outside my door to dust myself off. in winter.

I see "Baffin" brand in Wayland's po.st = top brand and durable. Dakota is another.
The good snowmobile boots and gloves (some are plug-in electric!!) are Tolko.
Eddie Bauer down coats are good below -20C but the zippers are crap.
Pocket flaps are fairly useless, like wise.
I need parka pockets big enough and open enough to wear my Tolko gloves.

Wet boots inside? Use plastic bags to keep that moisture from wicking into your socks.
Drying? Build a serious electric boot dryer. OR, stockpile old newspapers.
Crumpled and stuffed into wet boots with many changes, excellent cheap dryers.

But, don't use woven fabric boot laces of any shape. Don't. If they get wet and freeze,
you will have troubles not only undoing them but snugging them up again.
Sure you can putz around with silicone sprays for added messy expense.

Your best choice by far are oiled leather thong lace. I'm paying $8.00 for a pair of 72" Canadians.

I am just about to hang my old Carhartt barn coat on a peg by the door and the damn grapes are still on the vine.

Baffins are the most well known over here. I don't regret mine for a minute

Reactions: Robson Valley

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Are sorrell pac boots any good?
What other brands to look for.

Don't get why I couldn't just use a waterproof over boot with the Canadian mukluks.
Obviously they are warm enough, so just need a way of keeping them dry if the temp rises above -10.

Or just use my lowa goretex boots with my gators.??
They have already proven warm enough at temps around -10.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Why do feel the need to go water proof in severe sub zero temps?

If it is cold enough, your piddle will freeze before it hits your shoes/boots!

(around -40C or so)

:)

If the temp rises where your boots can get wet, it will be close to 0C. -10 is cold enough not to have wet clothes/boots

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Getting confused over temp vs wet snow.

I want to make sure that if for whatever reason the temp is above (-10 or whatever temp snow starts to get slushy and wet.)
That I have protection against wet feet.

I'm going to buy a pair of the brit army over boots and see how waterproof they are and if I can make them more so.
They are supposed to be waterproof canvas or so I have found after many hours searching.
That way I can have a pair of mukluks (and spare liners)
And if it starts to get slushy I can put on the over boots to stop me getting wet.
Also taking my lowa goretex boots and yeti gaiters as backups.
Should be me sorted on the footwear front.

Gloves will be my sealskinz gauntlets.
Plus probably a set of reindeer or sheep skin mittens coupled with some goretex over mitts................ Gloves sorted too.

Now onto hats.

Any of you fine folk know a good UK supplier for proper fur trapper (Russian style) hats???

Also want to say thanks for all the input.
It really helps me get my kit list sorted.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Yup that's the style.
Gonna search for reindeer fur as I heard it's supposed to be warmer than other furs.......??
If not that will do nicely.
c396d0825e607be64d3c1d7da9ac88db.jpg

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Reindeer fur is excellent to sleep on. But not to make a hat from, as the hairs are to hard.

I bought a fantastic fur hat in Montreal in Canada. Warmest one I ever have owned.

They make them in various animal species.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You could use the overboots of course, they obviously work well enough for the army
To me it just seems like extra work, I don't need two pairs of boots to put on every morning on top of all the other clothes and are they sloppy sloppy when you walk? Do they try and ride down your leg?.....dunno never used em

The mod tries to find the cheapest possible way to equip a soldier I'm not that constrained.
My baffins have done four trips and I don't see why they couldn't do another four so that would be less than 20 quid per trip on boots and no fannying about with overboots or worrying about waterproofness

For fur I found a rabbit fur hat plenty warm enough and mostly wore a Lowe alpine mountain cap when moving around

Reactions: RE8ELD0G

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Your hat will be on and off a lot in order to regulate your core temperature. Lots of blood flow in the head so your hat gives you good fine control.

Taking it off cools you more easily than stripping layers off, putting it back on stabilises your temperature again.

Thermo regulation is a constant task in that environment. When you are working / travelling you need to reduce your insulation or you will sweat too much into your clothing which will ultimately reduce it's insulation powers.

When you stop, that is the time to pile on the insulation to stop you getting cold. Always adjust your dress pro-actively for what you are about to do.

Big insulated coats are a bit like a "Mothership" to throw on when stationary or riding something like a snowmobile. While moving or working you tend to need thinner layers so you can fine tune things.

Most of the time out there, I just wore a wool and fleece hat with ear flaps that I could stuff into a pocket when I didn't need it on my head. Often I was working in my base layers with just wool trousers and shirt on top.

I have a fantastic fur hat that I only ever wore when stationary or sitting around. Nice to have but a bit of a waste really.

Reactions: RE8ELD0G

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Seems that Britain could get a proper winter this year. Maybe you can try out some of your newly bought equipment!

It is a myth the head has more blood flow than the rest of the body.
Same per square cm as the rest.
To remove your head gear in severe cold to cool off is risking your ears.

As you write - adopt the clothing before you change the work load.

If you get hot in severe cold because you are overdressed for the situation - take a rest.

Then adjust your clothes and continue with the work.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From all I read, the UK gets its fair share of cold, snowy crappy winter.
Camping gear can be tested in the back yard. Not much beats a warm indoormbathroom.

Ears are thin and work like radiators. We all have numerous pairs of earmuffs.
Just soft fuzzy ear coverings on a spring metal strap.
Even a scarf tied around your head can be better than nothing.
My hair has thinned so I have a knitted wool toque with big ear flaps.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Absolutely, back garden testing is the best.

Dependinding on location in UK. Where I lived, in East Sussex, we got a couple of minus for a few days and nights each winter.
A couple of inches of snow. Good to try the equipment in such conditions. Next step for the OP can be -25C or so, as he has enjoyed -10 already.

I still own and use ear protectors. Felt, red on one side, black on the other. Thin enough to fit under ear flaps.
Frost bitten skin is always sensitive to cold. Mine peel like an onion.

Alta and surounding area in Northern Norway is a good step and learning towards real cold. For that you need to be in central Norrland (in Sweden).

Visit where the member SGL70 lives and head inland. Arvidsjaur, Arjeplog, Vuoggatjålme.

Great forests, great lakes. Try some ice fishing too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE