Arrowheads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I am going to be making arrowheads soon. They'll be made from steel, and just curious if anyone wants me to do a step by step guide of me doing it.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I have to be honest, I cheat. I use old spoons as the base (sheet steel is has too much waste), but considering you can pick up spoons on ebay for £3 for 12, it takes maybe an hour (if that) to turn them into arrowheads. They're just as good as pre-made arrowheads (they get a similar depth of penetration on into a side of pork)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I reckon most people who visit here would be interested, even if they don't have the resources or skills currently to have a go. I admire many flintknappers skills and processes though my efforts just about afford me a flint usable for flint & steel fire, never mind a flint arrowhead ;) The 'how to' articles are always a pleasure to view and yours would be no less appreciated.
Rob.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Cool. I'll take pictures of each step and explain each step. Will likely be tomorrow or Saturday

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Plain flat arrowheads. As I said I make them from spoons so will pick up some from a local hardware store on the cheap.

Reason I make them from spoons and not from sheet steel or flint is basically I can't do anything with flint except use it for fire lighting or very basic cutting tools, and sheet steel has far too much waste. The spoons will have some waste, but what is wasted can be used in other ways (eg as small cutting blades, or a small handle for a pan etc).

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Been working on one this morning since about 7am (hurray for morning off!)

Will get pics to uniform size and post (I am in the sanding stages right now)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Finished! I am sorting the pictures which the Mrs kindly took, will upload the step by step later (May make a PDF so it isn't as pic heavy on the thread)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE