arrow shafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
looking at making some "primitive" arrows i have access to hazel and wayfarer tree shoots for shafts Does anyone have experience with these? Usually I shoot 11/32 shafts on 45 and 55 pound bows. what diamater shaft should i be looking at with shoots. I'll probably just take what's there and experiment but it would be nice if anyone else whose tried these woods could give me some advice.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
A freind of mine has just made some very nice hazel arrows. I'm sure he won't mind me showing you these:

DSCF0002.jpg

They are footed and pointed with Brazilian Redwood.

I've made a few hazel arrows and I have some shafts seasoning now.One of the problems is keeping them straight as they season.

Forget trying to spine them. Compensate by making them long with big feathers. I'd look for sun shoots that are about 3/8"

Peel them, straighten them and shove them somewhere to dry off for 6 months. Inspect them now and again and keep straightening them. You'll see that Mark has heat hardened his a bit with a blow torch.

Elder shoots work too if you can find some straight ones. And elder is harder and more stable.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I completely disagree about the elder, bent stick, but it may be due to different species.

I always make my arrows a little longer and approximately match them to my bow by first shooting them without fletchings and points. If they shoot too much to the right I cut off a little of the arrow or add a heavier point. If to the left, then you have already cut off too much. :(

Narrowhandled bows are more forgiving towards poor matching with spine. Centershot bows can't have too stiff arrows. All of my bows have either narrow handled or centershot.

To ensure uniformity of size I use a sizer of antler and scrape down the arrow until it all goes easily through.

Good luck! :)

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
6 months! i was thinking about a month...but great info and some really nice looking arrows they look like they are fletched with turkey. I have been thinking about trying to use the feathers of wild birds I used pigeon on my atlatl darts and it worked just fine looked a bit daft though. probably too thin and weedy for an arrow though!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I make my shafts in one day, straightening them over a fire. No need to wait 6 months, although they will stiffen over time. After a week the fire-straightened shafts are probably so seasoned that you will not notice much difference later. Especially if you have the more forgiving narrow handled bow.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
torjusg said:
I completely disagree about the elder, bent stick, but it may be due to different species.

Elder wood is useless for most things but straight stems, well seasoned will work. I had a flint tipped arrow fletched with swan primaries. It deflected off a tree and shattered. You need to be careful re-inforcing the nocks. Something built up with sinew is best.

It's much more stable than hazel when it is dried.

I've even seen a bow of elder with a groove running down the limbs and a hollow pipe right through the handle where the pith has been removed.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
bent-stick said:
I've even seen a bow of elder with a groove running down the limbs and a hollow pipe right through the handle where the pith has been removed.

Yeah! But was it any good??? :D

G

gwing

torjusg said:

I always make my arrows a little longer and approximately match them to my bow by first shooting them without fletchings and points. If they shoot too much to the right I cut off a little of the arrow or add a heavier point.

If they are too whippy & going to the right you'd need a lighter point there rather than a heavier?

torjusg said:
If to the left, then you have already cut off too much. :(

Heavier point, or alternatively it is surprising how much effect just scraping a *little* more from the centre of the arrow has.

torjusg said:
I
Narrowhandled bows are more forgiving towards poor matching with spine. Centershot bows can't have too stiff arrows. All of my bows have either narrow handled or centershot.

To ensure uniformity of size I use a sizer of antler and scrape down the arrow until it all goes easily through.

Good luck! :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
gwing said:
If they are too whippy & going to the right you'd need a lighter point there rather than a heavier?

Heavier point, or alternatively it is surprising how much effect just scraping a *little* more from the centre of the arrow has.

My understanding of this is that a heavier point adds more momentum in front, thereby increasing the flexing behind that point. Or in other words a heavy point decreases spine, but I may be wrong. I am not too good at the science of this stuff.

G

gwing

torjusg said:
My understanding of this is that a heavier point adds more momentum in front, thereby increasing the flexing behind that point. Or in other words a heavy point decreases spine, but I may be wrong. I am not too good at the science of this stuff.

You have the right idea, perhaps it was justt a typo in your iriginal post? To stiffen arrow shorten it or decrease pile weight, to make it more flexible add pile weight or scrape the shaft a bit, particularly in the middle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE