Army Surplus - Not the kit, the stores

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 26, 2011
Coventry
So we've all seen the threads about various bits of army surplus kit, be it clothing, camp gear or sharp pointy things.

My question is this: Where do we actually go to get this stuff these days? Here in Coventry the only places I've found seem to have degraded into a few pairs of ex-MoD boots and a whole bunch of cheap Webtex and Chinese knock-offs.

I'm thinking particularly of brick-and-mortar shops rather than online retailers, though if anyone has had particularly good experiences with one that would be interesting too.

I'm assuming of course that we all know of Anchor Supplies in Nottingham, but they're rather far from Cov, and even they seem to be increasingly stocking imitation gear...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hoopers in kings lynn, hingham stores in hingham, becketts at norwich. a lot being overrun with plastic fantastic stuff tho like webtex. military fairs are the only way to go i'm afraid. i go to odyssey in kent.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Coventry has never been the same since they demolished Riddy's to make way for Sky Blue Way.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I can heartily recomend Genuine Army Surplus at Darlington, no affiliation other than speaking as a satisfied customer. The manager is thoroughly professional and courteous, and they do stock some good kit.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
BASE in Charminster, Bournemouth are pretty good. And Frontline in Bournemouth are getting better for clothing since having a new manager who is gradually getting more genuine surplus in stock.

There is a shop in Ferndown that stocks some interesting items but I've found the owner to be a miserable so-and-so who was quite condescending to my other half.

And as has already been mentioned, Endicotts in Exeter, the holy grail of surplus stores.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
my limited experience suggests that location plays a big part.
the shops in places like plymouth, colechester ect, where there is a large millitary presence, often seem to have better stock than somewhere like southampton, where webtex and alike are the main order of the day.

strangely, this seems to extend to foreign kit aswell. which doesn't make as much sense, but I suppose it could be due to better links with suppliers.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
:yikes: Nice one!! They have the goretex bivi bags for £12! What a gem of a website, :thankyou:

British Military Surplus are great. One thing to be aware of though is that you'll get clobbered on postage. The last time I ordered, it was £7.50 on orders up to £30 and £15 on orders over £30. I've never placed a larger order so I don't know if the postage continues to increase beyond that. I always make up the order to as near to the cut off as possible otherwise that £2 t-shirt is not such a bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE