Loaders Desert Boots and Silverman's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Last week I visited a Clark's shoe shop and tried on a pair of their classic desert boots. They felt tight and uncomfortable across the bridge (the top bit) of my foot – very tight. They didn't seem particularly well made and the size seven was too large and the six was too small and they don't do half sizes. And they were £79.99!!!!!!!

I'd seen the Silverman's online catalogue that featured classic desert boots at £27.99 and as I was in the East End today I thought I go and try on a pair. The company that makes the shoes Silverman's stocks is called Roamers. I have included a link for you below so you can see the range (no personal connection):

http://www.christophershoes.co.uk/Products/Mens/Boots/Desert_Boots_list.html

I tried on the 'ghillie' and the five eyelet boot in taupe in a size six. Both pairs were very roomy for my short wide hobbit feet and felt comfortable across the bridge. I bought a pair of the latter. Very pleased with them. They have a cambrelle-type lining which is supposed to aid moisture wicking in hot climes. Dunno if this is true but they felt very comfy in my little walk around London. I cannot believe how people spend that much on a pair of inferior Clark's when these are a less than half-price alternative.

Here's the link to Silverman's:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Product...+BOOTS/ItemId/2023/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

I didn't know what to expect from Silverman's. Most army surplus shops I've visited are a bit smelly and you kind of browse through a jumble of clothing. Not so at Silverman's. Of course it's a step up from an army surplus store as it supplies pukka kit to the military as well as high end retro motorcycle gear. Imagine an old-fashioned shop with a counter behind which staff ask what you require and then retrieve from the stock room in the back (which I imagine is massive; I'd love to see it!).

I would have liked to have had all the items on display because browsing is part of the fun for me, but the staff didn't baulk when I asked to try on differing sizes and colours of M65 jackets and fishtail parkas and shoes. They were helpful and offered advice without any pressure to buy. A real old-fashioned service. I'll be back.

Dec 16, 2007
back in the day it was mandatory to have a Silvermans catalogue in your kit. Plus it was the unofficial uniform to have a MA1 flight jacket, Levi 501's and dessie boots for when one was on leave. This was in the 80's mind. Always had good service from Slivermans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE