Army bivi bag mod for dog shelter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi guys I always bring my dog out with my hiking but seeing him cold & wet while I'm in my bivi bag is not nice. As there is nothing currently on the market for lightweight packable dog shelters I'm thinking of cutting an army bivi in half, stitching the cut, then threading some sort of flexible wire through the drawcood hood so as to create some form of entrance, then using a cut down foam mat inside to not only provide warmth but to help give the structure some form, too.

The whole thing can be squeezed, rolled-up & packed in no time at all.

My question is where can one get the type of flexible wire that I would need for this project? What name does it come under?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get some 10mm earth wire from the DIY place or electrical wholesalers and cut the plastic insulation off - works a treat!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi, I've got the 10mm earth cable... 3 meters of it, and a british army issue closed cell foam mat.

Now I've threaded the earth cable in to the existing drawstring tunnel but cannot get the bivi entrance to stand up freely for more than a few seconds. It looks like I'm going to have to stake it either side. Yes I will of course post pictures when completed. A clothing/sewing friend of mine is wanting to help, too, incase any modifications are required to the bivi, like shortening it.

I've learned so much about dogs in England.

You have pet dogs that live like honoured guests in the house. Dog gets washed and dried like baby.
you have working dogs that farmers have and gamekeepers - These live outside in shelters.

Like many Cree I keep two dogs. They are for hunting and for hauling equipment. Both can corner a big bear or stop a moose. They live outside. No shelter all summer and winter when the temperature drops to -40/50;c If we kept them inside they'd not want to go outside and work, become lazy. And they'd break into things to find food to eat too!!

The people we are staying with in England take their dog camping, lovely dog too. They have one tiny 'pop up' ? tent for dog to stay in. Takes up no space, its real small.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE