Arktis Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BoDuke

Apr 9, 2012
Plymouth
Thinking about getting an Arktis Smock. Expensive though. Anyone got any comments on it as a good outdoors jacket for moors/ woodland use. Is there anything similar that members would recommend please?

Thanks.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I went out in mine yesterday in the pouring rain - actually got quite wet through the zip at the front. In fairness, it probably wasn't done all the way up and water might have dripped down from above. I like it as a jacket, though. Got a DanCam one - very practical and well made

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I like it but seldom actually use it as it is not heavy rain water proof (Swasi tahr anorack used for this but very expensive option this) and is rather heavy, so I prefer a Buffalo special six/snug pack ponch combo usually.

BoDuke

Apr 9, 2012
Plymouth
Thanks for the replies. Not too sure though on whether to go for one. Like the look of the jackets on Solo International website. It is important that the jacket is waterproof as Dartmoor is fairly exposed and when it rains it rains. Will check out the Buffalo options. Thanks.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Problem is you've given the generic term "smock". Arktis do several using this moniker, hence the differing feedback you're getting. A direct link to the actual product might help?

Apart from the bargain MVP lined DanCam that we got a couple of years ago :) I happen to believe they have priced themselves out of the market!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

To be honest, I would go for the Solo International version- it has the pit zips, and you could buy 2 for the cost of the Arktis, and still get change. I don't think you would notice a material difference in the quality. The coyotebrown colour makes a nice difference to olive that is still a 'bushie' colour. I hasten to add, i don't own one myself mind you, but i know people that have bought from that place and they have been happy with the quality.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
That's the dancam smock. It was worth £65 but it's not worth £200!

Some nice features but needs pit zips as it does not have enough ventilation.

It's my favourite jacket. The life expectancy of the drop liner is 5 years in non military use apparently.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wore mine today in the rain & it kept me dry. As widu13 says, it does need pit zips. Also, the pockets are difficult to open/close one handed

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
To be honest, I would go for the Solo International version-
So would I for £100 difference and own the Arktis! I like SI's sizes better too. I've a 47" chest but am dwarf like (just for you Spanders ;)) at 5'9" the Arktis large which I have is at it's limits, but fits (only just with a fleece) but is just too massive in an XL which I tried first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE