Argos axe mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I picked one of these up this morning.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId=-1&searchTerms=AXE&Submit=GO+%3E

I agreed to do a small review of it so here goes.

When i took it out of the box, my initial impressions were not the best tbh

DSC00241.jpg

The edge was blunt, i mean really blunt, rounded over. I put firm pressure on it with my thumb and slid it down the edge, no cut, nothing.

DSC00245.jpg

The Handle narrows into the head, so it will be weaker to lateral forces.

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

The handle is glued, wedged and sealed into the head, so if the handle does break i can imagine it will be a pain to get out, the attachment is a little rough also.

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

The grain seems to be good in the handle and the handle fills the hand well, a bit better than my Wildlife actually.

DSC00258.jpg

The head from top down is very similar in shape and thickness to the SFA

DSC00244.jpg

The head is set slightly off centre. nothing major.

DSC00249.jpg

Some comparisons with the SFA and the Wildlife

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

That is it out of the box.

I spent an hour putting a good edge on it and narrowing down the ramps, i have never had to sharpen one to such a degree before so i don't know if this would be classed as a long time. I used the mouse mat method with 180, 240 and 600 grit wet and dry then a strop. By the time i had finished it had a good working edge. I didn't shave test it but it felt very sharp with my thumb, I was not going to put any pressure on now put it that way.

I have not used it much, I just split a few logs and it performed very well for this task, better than either of my GB to be honest. The edge was still there too.

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

The axe has potential to be pretty fair for the price, but it does need a bit of work before it can be used as an axe. I'll update this as i use it more.

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review Mark

Why did you get it though ? I would`ve thought the SFA was very similar ??

At least there`s a 30 day money back guarantee with Argos ;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I wanted a cheap axe for splitting firewood at home. I chipped my SFA twice in 3 days so i got this so i didn't even have to think about not damaging it.

I was also looking at the bahco axe.

It has the potential to be ok, but isnt out of the box

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wanted a cheap axe for splitting firewood at home. I chipped my SFA twice in 3 days so i got this so i didn't even have to think about not damaging it.

I thought you might say that, I have a nasty steel shafted B&Q jobby which I use for the same thing.

What did you use to put a decent edge on it ?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
How very odd, the handle looks like it had a slot cut for a wooden wedge and then they skipped that altogether and just smacked in a ring wedge. Bizarre. Thanks for posting this, I was thinking of buying one!

Pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good photos - Cheers HB.

Is it me or is there no wooden wedge in the split on the helve?

Could be my eyes?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How very odd, the handle looks like it had a slot cut for a wooden wedge and then they skipped that altogether and just smacked in a ring wedge. Bizarre. Thanks for posting this, I was thinking of buying one!

Pete

I thought that myself Pete, it does look like they missed the wedge.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It`s as though they couldn`t get one in as the slot has closed up too much.

It`d be interesting to see another. Shame we can`t do that in Argos though.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thats plain odd!

Seems like Draven beat me to noticing too :)

Red

Just a slightly faster typer :p I was wondering, you know more about axes than me - in the fourth pic down, do you think the heel of the bit is a bit more out of line than the toe or is it just me?

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
I have a similar axe from the local diy shop, I've ground the top part of so its al flat at the top. Also gave it a flatter grind and added a longer handle, seems to do fine now altought it has to be sharpened a bit more often than a gb,I might post a pic if you like..

Seems that the cheaper axes have to short handle/to heavy head for some reason:dunno:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a similar axe from the local diy shop, I've ground the top part of so its al flat at the top. Also gave it a flatter grind and added a longer handle, seems to do fine now altought it has to be sharpened a bit more often than a gb,I might post a pic if you like..

Seems that the cheaper axes have to short handle/to heavy head for some reason:dunno:

The head, while larger than the SFA is only 600g, It weighs 800g total i think. It does feel head heavy though. From the 5 minutes i used it, i must say i prefer it this way for splitting tasks. The ramp is still slightly wider and has a steeper angle than the SFA so it forces the wood apart more.

The head does look dodgy on the photo, like its twisted slightly. On closer inspection, it is. But only a little. That pic makes it look worse than it is.

Heres a better one, you can also see how blunt the edge was on this one too.

DSC00251.jpg

It also has a nice ring to it when using, the blade is musical :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That is definitely a bit more slight than I thought - don't imagine it'll be a massive problem.

The forward balance is a good thing for splitting, if you want the axe to do the work - and I don't see why you wouldn't :D

Have you done a file test to see how hard it is?

Pete

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That is definitely a bit more slight than I thought - don't imagine it'll be a massive problem.

The forward balance is a good thing for splitting, if you want the axe to do the work - and I don't see why you wouldn't :D

Have you done a file test to see how hard it is?

Pete

It will be getting used, lots of BBQ's coming up this year aswell, save on gas :D

How do you do the file test? Never done it before.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a slightly faster typer :p I was wondering, you know more about axes than me - in the fourth pic down, do you think the heel of the bit is a bit more out of line than the toe or is it just me?

I think the head may be squint - if you ook at the picture of the poll next to the SFA it doesn't look true.

Still - its a quarter of the price.

Given a re-grind and a new handle and so on.......

As a friend said about my coat "that would be a nice jacket if it was a different cut, colour, style and material"......:D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think the head may be squint - if you ook at the picture of the poll next to the SFA it doesn't look true.

Still - its a quarter of the price.

Given a re-grind and a new handle and so on.......

As a friend said about my coat "that would be a nice jacket if it was a different cut, colour, style and material"......:D

:lmao:
I like the head profile, just not sold on their invisible wedge :p

Hillbill - Good man, a steak just ain't a steak unless it's impregnated with smoke :D The file test is just running a file along the edge - if it digs in lots and leaves deep scratches the metal is soft, if it skates off the metal is too hard. :D

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've been musing over the missing wedge.

My thinking is Argos buys the handles seperately. The company who makes the handles may have either, a standard handle that comes pre slotted or they were for a different head originally and they have been sanded down or something to fit in the Argos head. which is why the handle narrows.

Have to see another though. May just be an error or lack of wedges.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE