Argos axe mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Well it narrows to fit in the eye, without having the whole handle being that thin, it's not really a disadvantage, it's a necessity!

I reckon you're right though, I've seen lots of handles with that same genuine hickory stamp (I've seen many different ones too, but I'm guessing that multiple companies don't use identical stamps? maybe a bad guess). I highly doubt argos fits them, but perhaps whoever makes the heads just buys handles in bulk, jams in a ring wedge and figures "that'll do". As has been mentioned though, the narrowing slot and the shavings peeling off the wood at the base of the head show that it wasn't slimmed very well, it was just a crush fit by the looks of it - get it til it almost fits, then whip out the sledge!

I don't get why so many axes have epoxy over the end of the handle, unless it's just to hide poor quality (they obviously should've used an opaque one :D ). I wonder how much extra security 1/8" of epoxy over the ring wedge is gonna do when a 600g axe head decides to come loose :rolleyes:

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Would the invisiwedge not make using the axe a bit unsafe?
If so, could it be worth going back to Argos with it and asking for a replacement to see if they are all like that?

IMO it would definitely make it unsafe - a crush fit on a solid handle would be unsafe, but the fact that it has a slot means that there is much less outward pressure on the inside of the eye (cause the wood can be squeezed together). If I'm not mistaken metal wedges are there to lock the wooden wedge in place and take up small gaps, not to be the sole thing holding the handle on..

Pete

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Is it just me, or does the umm head? Bit? Uhh the metal part, look like rubber. In the picture where all the axes are compared, it looks like a toy. What's the coating on it, paint or something?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Is it just me, or does the umm head? Bit? Uhh the metal part, look like rubber. In the picture where all the axes are compared, it looks like a toy. What's the coating on it, paint or something?

Not sure to be honest, it does have a coating though that is quite thick at the poll end.

Wont be able to take it back as i have tampered with it and no longer have the recipt.

If anything goes wrong with it, i aint bothered. Unless someone gets hurt.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Good work HB. Have you got a shot of the end of the haft, to show how vertical the grain is? Also, is the haft varnished? Bleugh!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good work HB. Have you got a shot of the end of the haft, to show how vertical the grain is? Also, is the haft varnished? Bleugh!

It is varnished i think and i dont have a pic of the haft. In the 10th pic down you can sort of see it. It is the same as the grain running down the length, the same angle

HillBill...
...it was only the "if anyone gets hurt" part that concerned me.

And I don't believe having tampered with it would exempt you from the moneyback guarantee, and certainly wouldn't change your statutory rights - it's (people seem to be saying) an unsafe tool and you'd have grounds for an exchange or refund.

If you payed on a card that'll replace the need for a reciept too. You just need "proof of purchase"

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The head seems solid enough.

I paid cash, after all it was less than a tenner, I don't use it around others anyway. The kids stay in the house when the axe's come out.

I am going to go back down and ask to look at another. If they are all the same and they are dangerous what can i do about it?

Can i complain? Make them withdraw the product?

Well, you could comment on it, probably have a word with the store manager and maybe fire a letter off if it concerns you enough.
I'd be having a word anyway.

I don't image whoever picks the stock for the company would really know what they were looking at so they probably have no idea there's meant to be a wooden wedge in there too.

If they "didn't know" and someone got hurt they could possibly pass the buck. If they'd been made aware and someone got hurt things would be different.

It's good you're extra careful with axes, but I imagine some people wouldn't have the same level of caution...
...cutting with a completely blunt axe with an improperly secured head will probably mean they'll be swinging it for all they are worth...
...I wouldn't like to be around if/when one came loose, that's for sure.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
tbh i think your being a bit over the top about not having a wedge, its glued on and it has a metal ring wedge which spreads the wood outwards anyway. also hillbill said its solid so whats the problem?
all products in the UK have to pass tests for safty before they can be sold. its a legal requirement, do you think argos would sell them if they wern't approved? its not as if its some random bloke trying to flog them at a market.

Pete

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
tbh i think your being a bit over the top about not having a wedge, its glued on and it has a metal ring wedge which spreads the wood outwards anyway. also hillbill said its solid so whats the problem?
all products in the UK have to pass tests for safty before they can be sold. its a legal requirement, do you think argos would sell them if they wern't approved? its not as if its some random bloke trying to flog them at a market.

Pete

all i'll say is you'd be REALLY suprised....

i shall say no more...:censored:

Peter...
They don't test every single item.

It could be that HillBill has one that slipped through QC after a type test.
It could be that they got type approval and have since decided to save a few bob by omitting the wedges.

As for it being glued on, if it's a rigid glue it's not hard to imagine how repeated impacts could start to weaken the bond eventually leaving it to rely on a crush fit and inadequate wedging. If not then the glue probably isn't enough to secure it.

Finally, all items must pass a safety test before sale? That's news to me.
Some, for sure, but all? I dunno.
Maybe, but I've never heard of such a thing before.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
What Bigshot and Melonfish said!

Glue ain't enough to hold on an axe head, and the metal wedge isn't for that purpose and won't do it great either.

As far as safety and "feeling sturdy" goes, I'd be willing to bet that when things are checked for safety (and it obviously ain't every item) it ain't done by experts in using/making every seperate item. I'm sure plenty of people would look at it, try to shoogle that axe head around and chop a couple blocks and say that it feels sturdy - but that doesn't mean it can withstand frequent and repeated chopping. Lots of strain on an axe...

I wouldn't worry about it too much in this case - it's used for splitting firewood, he said he's using it without other people around. If it does come off, it'll probably do so as it hits the wood, and fly away from him or stick into the wood - either way I don't think anyone will get hurt. I'd check it periodically though, I suppose if it got loose enough it could fly off when swinging it back and thwack you on the back of the head, but I like to think it would be noticed before that happened! Don't take my word for it though!

Pete

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I will be keeping a very close eye on it. To be honest i am more concerned with the way the handle narrows into the head. IMO that is as much a danger especially with the slight kink to the head. The forces on impact will expand in both directions, rather than just towards the poll.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
My suspicions were confirmed when I looked at the axe on the Argos website and it said:

"Customers who bought this Axe, also bought: Home First Aid Kit (XL). Medic-Aid Telescopic Crutches. Tens Pain Relief System."

This is really shocking, as it indicates that there is a real risk, either that, or I'm joking...............
happy0009.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE