Are you making any plans for the Snow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Be prepared if you have a freezer full of stuff - power cuts last year ruined a lot of (expensive) meat I had in mine. We had 9 hours without electricity just recently and plan B was to put all the food from the freezer in a sealed box out in the snow.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Be prepared if you have a freezer full of stuff - power cuts last year ruined a lot of (expensive) meat I had in mine. We had 9 hours without electricity just recently and plan B was to put all the food from the freezer in a sealed box out in the snow.

Food in a freezer should be fine for at least a day without power if you leave the door closed, 9 hours would be perfectly fine.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

This is why I like chest freezers. They're supposed to be fine for a couple of days without power and in this weather they'd probably go even longer if you could keep the room cold.

Reactions: Lou
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Two days snowed in, I have a winter store of food anyhow, but coal was low so each day I took a mile trip to the woods with Sammi, filled are packs with logs we cut and trudged back, so been a good couple of day of get by and make do, I really like these kind of moments.

Reactions: Nice65

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a freezer. It's more efficient when it's full. That includes bin bags of clothing/pillows/pink fiberglas insulation.
We can have as many as 60 power failures in a day. Once a week is very common. Like you can't believe.
It scares off business investment.

I can't get a roast to thaw in a day, upstairs in the kitchen. In the freezer -20C with the lid shut?

We had a major wild fire south of us some years ago. It burnt down a long stretch of our power line.
The village council rented freezer units in less than 2 hours. They went door-to-door.
Told everybody to box and label all frozen food and bring it to the reefers.
That lasted more than a month wit 100% success.

If you have to go away, if there's any chance of a power failure that could melt your freezer,
here's what you do now, not later =

Freeze maybe 1" water in a plastic cup in the freezer. Then, put a coin on the ice.
You will know instantly if it melted and refroze.

Reactions: Lou

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oh, he'd definitely get it back ;)

Magically transformed it is. :)

It was one of those fated moments. She was the last of the litter and the owners were tired after helping clear up after them. There were 5 children in the house, each of which had a favourite that would be sneaked off to a bedroom to play, and go about their "business". I had to take her home really, she's an amazing character and a good mate to our very elderly Jack Russell who is almost deaf and blind and gets lost on walks. Mimi is trained to find her and bring her back which she does well.

I'll not bother with a pic of the fridge. :D

IMG_0396.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's all away here too. It's rained all day long instead.
I know the days are stretching out, but I'm really longing for the ones when the back door is opened as soon as I'm up and it stays open all day long. The garden just becomes the big room :)

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's all away here too. It's rained all day long instead.
I know the days are stretching out, but I'm really longing for the ones when the back door is opened as soon as I'm up and it stays open all day long. The garden just becomes the big room :)

M

I know what you mean; we always say our biggest room is outside!

But I'm also trying not to plan my life away; I can't believe we're 1/6th the way through the year already! I just need it to be dryer so I can get on; I don't mind cold. With the ground as wet as it is I just can't get most of the jobs started :(

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE