Are you better than your knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Well if we are being philosophical....knives are a bit like women....just because you spend more on them does'nt mean they do more for you...:rolleyes:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Sorry but most of the replies in this thread are pure philisophical rubbish.A knife is an inanimate object,it cannot grow with you.
I am better than any knife you care to name.Give me any task and I will do it better than any knife.Pick a task and I'll show you how I can do it better than any knife.

I am pleased you know yourself well enough to make a comment like that!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sorry but most of the replies in this thread are pure philisophical rubbish.A knife is an inanimate object,it cannot grow with you.
I am better than any knife you care to name.Give me any task and I will do it better than any knife.Pick a task and I'll show you how I can do it better than any knife.

errm ok.

there was surely a time when your skill set did not match the capabilities of the knife you used though?

given an ultra sharp mora or something im sure that i could achieve much better results than if i used my current knife.

that's because my current knife isn't ultra sharp - it is fat and not suited to a lot of work - it was also not heat treated perfectly.

as my bladesmithing improves - i can make a blade that is capable of doing the tasks i am capable of.

as you said a knife is indeed an inanimate object - but it is you doing the work - without practise you can't improve what you can do.

andy

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You seem to be missing the point.
A knife is an inanimate object it cannot do anything.show me a single thing a knife can do without human intervention.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A knife is an inanimate object it cannot do anything.show me a single thing a knife can do without human intervention.

as you said a knife is indeed an inanimate object - but it is you doing the work - without practise you can't improve what you can do.

andy

who is missing the point?

a better i.e. sharper, stronger, versatile knife can facilitate its user to do better carving, skinning etc

but that very same knife in the hands of a novice is no better or worse - it is simply that the user is not as skilled.

i think we are arguing the same point here my man.

andy

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall

I'm just thinking, is this a trick question? Like when is a door not a door? When its a jar.

No really joking aside, as already mentioned I think we all agree on this one. This boils down to the point, excuse the pun!, of knife control. A knife doesn't go around stabbing people, its the prat weilding it. If you take the knife away, they will still want to stab you, so they will pick up a blunt stone to stab you with.

And believe me, its no fun carving with a blunt stone!:rofl:

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.

LOL....Priceless!

What the OP was pitching for in my view is whether you ever eclipse the ability for your knife because of limitations in the knife....and for me that is a good question and is true.

You can become more proficient than a knife can deliver...some of this is easily said if you have a knife with inherant limitations....carrying only a SAK may well mean you cannot do certain things as well...this side of the arguement basically shows that there are "tools for each task" ....but... sometimes to have versatility you need a compromise knife which is going to be with you when you need it and can enable you to muddle through on most things.

Sometimes you are limited by issue kit...especially in the Infantry...SLR bayonets in the Falklands had little or no easily found general use ability. I remember seeing the Gurkha's use their Khukri's and soon picked one up.

The skill set I learned with that Khukri was way ahead of what you could do with an SLR bayonet.

Now with the proliferation of good designs and knives suited to some serious use I doubt it is easy to say "I have eclipsed my knife's ability to let me use my skill's"...a knowlegeable guy with a Wooden handled Mora, a SAK and a good machete like the Collins one ,would probably do as well as can be done ......even on a very cheap budget.

Our more expensive knives have good competition in cheaper tools if they are selected carefully. It was'nt always as well known though as to what was good on the bargain level. A lot of other choices were bad at that price range...but now there is a fair bit of knowledge out there...and who can say they are better than a Mora can deliver if it has the right handle on it?

Last edited:

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway

Oooright, sit on my hip while I pee in the woods. Lets see who does that better, you or a knife? ;)

Paul.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'd have to say its better than me. For the simple fact you can always get better and a more skilled person could do more with it than me.

One important point I think is its also important to find a blade design that suits you and you feel confident using and not scared that your going to chop a finger off. I also feel you should be able to put a razor edge on any knife (or any tool with a sharp edge for that matter) you use.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I am going to answer this question by posting a link to one of the most skilled knife users I know of. This chap is in a different class to Ray Mears or Mors or any of the folk who use knives part time. He has been using a knife the primary tool of his day job for 60 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7yipq2xd7o

Stuart King and I visited him in Romania in 1998. His knife is old and worn and it is soft, he sharpens it with a file. By any of the standards applied in the world of bushcraft you would say it was a really bad knife. Watch this video and understand the quality of the knife does not matter any where near as much as the skill to understand it and use it well.

Thanks for the video! Besides being old it looks like he uses quite a thin knife, but hard to see in the video. Is it poplar he's carving in?

Often I see bushcrafters with quite thick knives, perhaps so you can stand on them after being hammered in a tree :rolleyes:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
tis an interesting question, and a hilarious thread!:You_Rock_

but i'd have to say no.

ultimately, thin cuts, thick is more robust. the best knife is usually the sharp one. so the better you are at sharpening, the better your knife gets the easier you carve.

give me a mora over a thick old woodlore clone any day.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE