Are you a 'tic magnet'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am not a tick magnet but one of my dogs is. My springer gets loads but my mongrel who has a short smooth coat doesnt.
My Scouts had them last year at camp in July but I put that down to them lying and crawling bracken which the Leaders didnt.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
My daughter tends to pick up a few when we are out.
But we are now fastidious about checking whenever we've walked through long grass/bracken.
My son doesn't seem to get so many actually biting him, but we did have a bit of a scare in Norway a few years ago when a tick bite started swelling and he had a high temp.

My partner however is a real tick magnet. He always comes back from trips covered in them.
Camping beside Loch Sioniscaig he had 47 in one leg in one afternoon. Gave up counting after that.

In spite of being a midge and mosquito magnet myself, ticks don't seem to bother me too much and of all the trips I've been on the numbers of ticks I had attached is probably still in single figures.

We all have pretty much the same diet and wear similar materials, so I don't know what the critical factor is.
My other half is very hairy, which may be his excuse, but that doesn't apply to my daughter.

These tick thingies deserve a lot more respect than most people realise....I got mauled my them on a multi day sea kayak trip down loch long last season & a couple of the bite sites rashed out...I was told that it looked very characteristic of an 'EM' Rash, Borreliosis, {Lymes}...which although not often spoken about to the public, is considered to be endemic in much of Scotland. Anyway, the Doc did not go as far as to diagnose this - but she did give me 21 days worth of Doxycycline, the standard treatment for localised borreliosos. Anyway I dont want to bore everyone with my now extensive knowledge of ticks & borreliosis...suffice to say the more you learn...the scarier it gets....but I would'nt want my kids exposed to them.
There are many people severly disabled & disfigured in the UK as a direct consequence of a single bite!!!
Check out -
http://www.bada-uk.org/
Worth a look
Picture008.jpg

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks for posting the top pic Davy, I have two of them "holes" on my left leg - had them for about two years now and they don't heal properly. If they do it's only for a week or so and then they break open again.

Time for another visit to the Doc methinks.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I picked up my first tick yesterday walking in the woods in shorts!

A quick twist with the O'Tom detached it and I wacked it hard - it won't be biting anyone else!

My dog picks them up regularly - they make their way to just above his eyes which is a help as he is otherwise extremely hairy.

Mossies on the other hand - they love me. My wife says she doesn't worry about being bitten as long as I'm around 'cos they love me so much.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Every time I get out to the woods (most of the times near my house) I find myself getting very frequently one or two.

Altough most of the times I get rid of them before they bite me I've had to cut a bit of skin in my belly once because the only part of the tick I could see was two legs. Other time that I felt being bitten I just went home and put ethyl alcohol and it worked really well. Think they don't like get drunk! :lmao:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I agree with everything DavyOwens has said above.

The vast majority of people know nothing about ticks and the associated dangers, and it never ceases to amaze me just how many "outdoorsy" types seem oblivious to them. And it isn't just people who go out into the country who are at risk as I read recently that tick counts in London's parks yielded quite alarming numbers. Livestock are treated for parasitic infestations, wild deer are not, and there is a definite, credible link between the numbers of ticks and deer populations, and the numbers of red deer on most Scottish estates is mind-boggling!

They say that tick numbers are increasing due to seasonal/climate change, which you may or may not believe to be true.... As you were!
The one thing I am aware of though, is that I have picked up ticks on numerous occasions in the last few years, whereas I can't say I remember more than one or two nymph stages prior to that, despite having stravaiged the Scottish hills for decades, camping, crashing through bracken or undergrowth, reclining in the most inadvisable places or leaving the tent in the buff to answer natures call during the night. In fact, bearing in mind the ambush tactics of ticks, positioning themselves on the end of a leaf or grass stalk, hooks at the ready, such natural urges probably constitute the time when you're most at risk, day or night.

What has changed over the past few years are my habits. The first thing I used to do when getting out of the car was to put my gaiters on and, being a Scottish hill-man, it was always spray with Jungle Formula, trousers in socks, shirt in trousers and long sleeves in defence of midges, ticks and the dreaded Cleg (although I have had a cleg bite straight through a shirt). I no longer set off on the epic journeys I used to take into the mountains of my youth, heading out for weeks on end and covering a ridiculous number of miles in a day but tend more to camp based activities and day forays into the hills. I also use bothies as a base more these days as opposed to having utilised them if they happened to be en-route at the end of the day, or as a refuge. These changes in my use of the country account for the change in my habits, but I also believe they explain the increased number of tick bites I've received in the last few years.

After a trip to the far west last weekend, I returned to find a tick behind my knee and another in my groin. I had something of a scare last year with a red blotch developing on my calf, followed by painful inflammation and swelling, so back to old habits for me from now on, out come the gaiters, trousers in socks, shirt in trousers!

I was of the assumption that the hard winter we've experienced would have taken its toll on the tick population, but after meeting a group of women kayaking from Loch Hourn to Lochailort, one of whom said she'd had 29 ticks so far, I'm no longer sure. Incidentally, the women were all wearing sandals!

Some thoughts;
Ticks show up on light coloured trousers, but not on dark!
Modern synthetic fabrics designed to be quick-drying tend not to allow ticks a hold and they can be brushed off easily!
I believe there is a lot in what Gregorach is saying, although nubuck hadn't occurred to me.
Don't wear sandals!
Try to be aware if your arms contact long grass, bracken, etc, and check immediately.
Check yourself over nightly when out in the field, and thoroughly when you get home.

And from... http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ticks.htm
"Three of the diseases that can be caught from a tick bite in Britain are, Lyme borreliosis, Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis. Globally, the list of diseases is much longer."
Although rare, a quick scan of the consequences of the above diseases makes perfectly clear why children must be protected against exposure.

And finally, the biggest tick I ever saw was in Bavaria, when I became aware of a thing 1/2 cm wide with a red stripe on its back crawling up the leg of my trousers. Ticks, in some areas of Europe, are reputed to carry Meningitis and Parvo Virus, among other goodies!

Another thought, Bush-man, the latest advice is that any distress caused to a tick whilst embedded will cause it to evacuate the contents of its stomach back into YOUR bloodstream, thus also any infection or virus it may be carrying. That includes burning, the use of alcohol, vaseline, salt, or applying any other substance to make the thing let go. The recommended method of removal is with a proprietory brand tick-puller.

"Don't distress the tick" sounds a bit too PC for my liking though, so just keep that delight for later!

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I agree with everything DavyOwens has said above.

The vast majority of people know nothing about ticks and the associated dangers, and it never ceases to amaze me just how many "outdoorsy" types seem oblivious to them. And it isn't just people who go out into the country who are at risk as I read recently that tick counts in London's parks yielded quite alarming numbers. Livestock are treated for parasitic infestations, wild deer are not, and there is a definite, credible link between the numbers of ticks and deer populations, and the numbers of red deer on most Scottish estates is mind-boggling!

They say that tick numbers are increasing due to seasonal/climate change, which you may or may not believe to be true.... As you were!
The one thing I am aware of though, is that I have picked up ticks on numerous occasions in the last few years, whereas I can't say I remember more than one or two nymph stages prior to that, despite having stravaiged the Scottish hills for decades, camping, crashing through bracken or undergrowth, reclining in the most inadvisable places or leaving the tent in the buff to answer natures call during the night. In fact, bearing in mind the ambush tactics of ticks, positioning themselves on the end of a leaf or grass stalk, hooks at the ready, such natural urges probably constitute the time when you're most at risk, day or night.

What has changed over the past few years are my habits. The first thing I used to do when getting out of the car was to put my gaiters on and, being a Scottish hill-man, it was always spray with Jungle Formula, trousers in socks, shirt in trousers and long sleeves in defence of midges, ticks and the dreaded Cleg (although I have had a cleg bite straight through a shirt). I no longer set off on the epic journeys I used to take into the mountains of my youth, heading out for weeks on end and covering a ridiculous number of miles in a day but tend more to camp based activities and day forays into the hills. I also use bothies as a base more these days as opposed to having utilised them if they happened to be en-route at the end of the day, or as a refuge. These changes in my use of the country account for the change in my habits, but I also believe they explain the increased number of tick bites I've received in the last few years.

After a trip to the far west last weekend, I returned to find a tick behind my knee and another in my groin. I had something of a scare last year with a red blotch developing on my calf, followed by painful inflammation and swelling, so back to old habits for me from now on, out come the gaiters, trousers in socks, shirt in trousers!

I was of the assumption that the hard winter we've experienced would have taken its toll on the tick population, but after meeting a group of women kayaking from Loch Hourn to Lochailort, one of whom said she'd had 29 ticks so far, I'm no longer sure. Incidentally, the women were all wearing sandals!

Some thoughts;
Ticks show up on light coloured trousers, but not on dark!
Modern synthetic fabrics designed to be quick-drying tend not to allow ticks a hold and they can be brushed off easily!
I believe there is a lot in what Gregorach is saying, although nubuck hadn't occurred to me.
Don't wear sandals!
Try to be aware if your arms contact long grass, bracken, etc, and check immediately.
Check yourself over nightly when out in the field, and thoroughly when you get home.

And from... http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ticks.htm
"Three of the diseases that can be caught from a tick bite in Britain are, Lyme borreliosis, Babesiosis and Ehrlichiosis. Globally, the list of diseases is much longer."
Although rare, a quick scan of the consequences of the above diseases makes perfectly clear why children must be protected against exposure.

And finally, the biggest tick I ever saw was in Bavaria, when I became aware of a thing 1/2 cm wide with a red stripe on its back crawling up the leg of my trousers. Ticks, in some areas of Europe, are reputed to carry Meningitis and Parvo Virus, among other goodies!

Another thought, Bush-man, the latest advice is that any distress caused to a tick whilst embedded will cause it to evacuate the contents of its stomach back into YOUR bloodstream, thus also any infection or virus it may be carrying. That includes burning, the use of alcohol, vaseline, salt, or applying any other substance to make the thing let go. The recommended method of removal is with a proprietory brand tick-puller.

"Don't distress the tick" sounds a bit too PC for my liking though, so just keep that delight for later!

Excellent post, Pango.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is it possible to get a Lymes disease jab from the doc yet, if numbers are on the increase then surely it would make sense to have something available.

Dang ticks are terrible here in Iowa! spring through atumn is a time to be careful. I think everyone here is a tick magnet. Early squirrel season and early Spring mushroom season are the worst times for getting ticks all over you.
We have a lot of wild game here and most of the game carries ticks, too.
Do your local ticks also carry the dreaded deseases, like many of ours do?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Lyme Disease is the disease they carry that we worry about most here in the Britain, a disease which is named after the town of Lyme in Connecticut USA, although they do carry other diseases too.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
My doc in Hunterdon County, NJ (an area with one of the highest counts of Lyme disease in the US) wouldn't give the Lyme disease vaccination saying it was more dangerous than the disease.

W

Wander

This is a joke I found 31 today and now I'm scared to keep going out in the woods. Help

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I don't take a lot of precautions, but I've only ever had one tick so maybe they don't like my flavour. Mosquitoes make a real mess of me though.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Ticks are nasty and carry horibble desieses. But, we can't stop going into the woods and hills because of them.
And I won't stop taking my kids. I've got ticks in my garden (I live in the woods) and I can't stop them playing there either.
The most important thing is to check regularly.

Ticks are particularly dangerous when they have had a good feed and regurgitate some of their stomach contents back into you just before they let go. As it takes them quite a while to build up a full stomach, removale within twenty four hours dramatically reduces you chances of catching any nasties. Unless of course you do distress them so that they try to detatch before you get there.

My kids are well trained in tick patrols (what we call checking for ticks) and are checked and check each other after walks, during trips and before baths etc.

Long socks and trousers tucked in helps. As do light coloured clothes.
In areas that aren't heavily infested, I will walk in shorts and sandals but brush of regluraly as it takes a while for ticks to decide the best place to bite. Wouldn't work so well if I had hairy legs though :rolleyes:

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
i've never had a tick yet [touch MDF!].

midges used to bother me when i was a kid, but seem to do so less, now that i'm an old codger. i suspect this might be due to the fact that i'm addicted to hot food and tend to smother everything i eat in extra hot chilli sauce. methinks the wee nasties find my blood a bit too spicy for their liking! ;-)

last year when me and the missus were camping out in some sand dunes in donegal, we were beseiged by hordes of midges, until we broke out the bottle of absinthe we had brought along for the journey. within minutes our 80% proof aniseed flavoured breath had cleared the air of flying insects, to a radius of about ten yards around us.

so, if you're ever out in the wilds and come across some blundering fool, stinking of booze and chilli - remember i'm only trying to avoid catching lyme's disease.

Biker

Interesting thread this, very informative too.

I've only had one tick and that was while in my garden in the UK. Didn't know what it was and must have scratched it off. Got infected and resulted in a hole in my left calf for about 2 weeks, finally healed without so much as a scar. Since coming to France though we're finding ticks on the dog regularly but us humans have been luckier, although last night I had to remove one from Alison's bum. She woke me up at 2am when she found it there. We bought this dinky little tool that looks like a claw hammer that you slide between the tick's jaws and your skin and an anticlockwise twist and the thing lets go. Great little tool it is too.

Just found it online. No affilation etc TICK REMOVAL TOOL bit pricey but it never runs out and stays within use by date forever.

Alison's had about 4 ticks in 6 years, I've had just the one.

As for fleas though. In my former marraige our cats brought them home and they set up house in our place. Me and the youngest daughter were eaten alive by them but the ex wife and the eldest daughter hardly got any nips. So there is some credence to the theory that some people are more susceptible to bites than others. As this thread clearly shows. Maybe I have chocloate chip flavoured blood to a flea, but to a tick I taste of Brussel sprouts?

Thanks for the info sharing.

Forewarned is forearmed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE