Are you a 'tic magnet'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Last weekend in the woods my youngest seemed to act as a tic magnet picking up no less than 5 tics in two days, I had one and the other four in our party none at all!

She was wearing long trousers too...... and went nowhere her older sister didn't :confused:

So do you attract tics more than others? - are they attracted to some people more than others?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't say I've ever had a problem with them. I have known people who have been with me pick up a few though. Midges seem to like me, but a very light misting of Lifesystems repellant keeps them off.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I pulled one off my belly yesterday after a scoping mission across the fields, only the second one of the year (so far) so not doing to badly considering the potential for contact.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Twenty odd years ago I was sucked upon by mosquito's in Turkey, six months after that I returned to the UK with ulcers from the infected bites which resulted in two biopsy's - to cut a long story short since then everything that bites, stings, sucks etc are drawn to me. A few weeks ago I counted 29 ticks from a trip in Argyle and 2 weeks ago a whopping 57 from Glen Nant, I now get tested for Lyme's every year.

Without a doubt I am a magnet.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't think anyone is immune to them, if you're in an area where they are, they will find you. Everyone gives off heat and co2.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Twenty odd years ago I was sucked upon by mosquito's in Turkey, six months after that I returned to the UK with ulcers from the infected bites which resulted in two biopsy's - to cut a long story short since then everything that bites, stings, sucks etc are drawn to me. A few weeks ago I counted 29 ticks from a trip in Argyle and 2 weeks ago a whopping 57 from Glen Nant, I now get tested for Lyme's every year.

Without a doubt I am a magnet.

:yikes:

She is only 9 and thankfully is not bothered about them at all.... we only had tears last evening when the tic-o-tool would not grab it as it was so small and I got the tweezers out - not that it hurt at all in the end it was just a combination of overtired and fear of the unknown :nono: - she'll be ok next time though :stretcher:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Last weekend in the woods my youngest seemed to act as a tic magnet picking up no less than 5 tics in two days, I had one and the other four in our party none at all!

She was wearing long trousers too...... and went nowhere her older sister didn't :confused:

What sort of boots were they wearing? I have a theory that nubuck, suede or fabric boots make you more likely to pick them up than smooth leather, as they find it easier to get a grip on...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I dont go to Tick infected ground(long grass/bracken etc) without permethrin on my trousers these days as i seem to get them alot, before 4 yrs ago id camped everywhere and never had one, now seems all the time, as for some people attracting them more, from a programme i saw about them its just your luck passing a area where one's lying in wait they hold onto bracken or grass etc at the top,with there bottom legs and whirl the top four round in a arc,these legs have little hooks on them so when you pass, the hairs on legs or material from trousers/socks etc gets gripped by one of these hooks and they are on, they also always walk up the way, thats why if you get one on your boot/sock it will head for say your ankle,on trousers will head for waist area basically a warm good exposed area where it can get to a blood supply,they do wait to sense movement,heat and co2, the ones that go for humans are the nymph and the adult, the larva stage are to small and cant get through human skin they tend to feed on mice/birds etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I read a paper on the internet once about US forces testing results from a garlic diet, the results were very interesting but it was of course catch 22, you lose all your friends but the ticks leave you alone too.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
What sort of boots were they wearing? I have a theory that nubuck, suede or fabric boots make you more likely to pick them up than smooth leather, as they find it easier to get a grip on...

could be - was fabric 'pumps' and fabric walking boots...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I eat loads of garlic, often raw, but the ticks still bite.

I've haven't had any on me for a long time now but my son has had a few on him while camping with the Explorer Scouts.

I'm wondering if you wear compression underwear, like the stuff Under Armour, Nike, 5.11, etc make if that would give you protection. Most of the times I got a tick on me in the past it was under my clothing, mostly on my thighs. So if you wore skin tight under garments they might not be able to get inside them. This kind of undergarment is suitable to wear in hot weather, in fact that's what it's designed for.

I have bought a few pieces of this type of clothing (for its muscle compression and sweat wicking properties) but seeing that I'm not getting bitten at the moment anyway I haven't been able to test my theory.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I dont go to Tick infected ground(long grass/bracken etc) without permethrin on my trousers these days as i seem to get them alot,

Hi Andy, if it's working for you, which Permethrin do you use as Google and E-Bay seem to bring up brands like "Lifesystem" which give instructions only for use on mosquito nets. Or is this to cover themselves and you just use it on trousers and socks gaiters etc. ?
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE