Are you a Swiss Army Knife owner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you own (or have you owned) a SAK?

• Total voters

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I got a Victorinox Pocket Pal a couple of weeks ago as a whittling knife. I've already reprofiled the small blade :D for better whittling. It's the first ever SAK of any sort I've had. I like the fact it only has the 2 blades, not a load of miscellaneous junk that just gets in the way when whittling.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Okay this is my one and my daughters age 5.
Alsbushcraftstuff019.jpg

Gailainne

Life Member
This is my baby Swiss Champ

swiss_champ001.jpg

I bought my first one to travel the world, (literally) when I left Saudi, eh 1986, misplaced it at my sisters in Cairns, OZ and bought a new one when I got home, 1987, so this one is 21 years old, and even Graham would be impressed with its shaving capability.

Stephen

PS I liked what some people have done with replacing scales on SAKS with wood, so may do this in the future.

Stephen

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I've got two. The first is on my key ring and thats an 'office'. The second is a 'climber' i think and allways in my possibles pouch. I here the 'forrester' is the dogs danglies.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a swisschamp in my manbag :D It sits in the pocket that a phone is meant to go in. It's very very handy, I've used it for all sorts of things.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I have carried a champ for the last 25 years and it has never let me down. It lives in my bag at work and my bergan in the woods - I have used EVERY gadget on it over and over again. I have lost the mini screwdriver which is a shame as I use it to to tighten the arms of my sprcs frequently and the little compass on the ruler in the pouch is now black.
Couldnt live without it

Cheers
Nick
since this post I lost the knife when the bungee holding my work bag on the back of my bike snapped. Lost it and a brand new titanium cookpot, but the loss of the knife nearly had me in tears when I found out. SWMBO, bless her, bought me a brand new champ with the double pouch survival kit for my birthday which I love.
Also just inherited a camper from clearing out my dads house after he passed away recently, which I'm contemplating re scaling with curly birch to match my other bushcraft knives.

Cheers
Nick

kancho74

Jul 28, 2008
Norway
"Lost" one of my SAKs recently too. Had it for about 15 years, been to many countries and through many customs except the last time.... I was travelling to England via Oslo airport and they pulled me on the length of the blade, it was never a problem before but they gave me two options, throw it or put it storage(costing about 10 quid a day) so I went back and hid it (can't say where) but my eternal optimism tells me it will still be there the next time, waiting for me......

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
First post, here goes....We have four SAKs.

I bought the wife a little handbag pink little one, blade, scissors and nail file. I was bought one for my 21st birthday,Mountaineer I think it's called and found another two.

The first one I found was a simple 6 blade affair, unknown model about 16 years ago. This was at about 33 metres at the bottom of a Norwegian fjord. I guess that a fisherman dropped it off his boat when using it as the blade was open. It was nestled on some rocks and the shiny metal blade that was open stood out against the natural colours that it sat on. It was a bit corroded but nothing that I couldn't sort out. I was chuffed to bits with that find. But to keep the balance of Yin and Yang in order, I lost my diving knife about three days after finding the SAK but over 70 metres of water this time so there it remains....DOH!

The next one that I found was whilst driving towards Kings Lynn on the A47. I was pootling along at about 50mph singing a song with the kids when I saw the tell tale flash of red near a lay-by. My wife thought I was mad but I stopped the car and turned around back to the lay-by and pulled in. I was amazed to see that I was right and there it was on the road, another 6 blade SAK with KATHMANDU set on the side of the knife. I reported it to the police and after a couple of months, I was able to keep it. I gave it to my son as he had just started scouts and he was really chuffed.

I am looking forward to finding my next SAK as they say that things come in threes!

Excellent little tool and I would never be without one in my pocket!

Craeg

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Have had a bell 'n' whistles victorinox one for 20 years and it's still in daily use. I also have a Swiss tool and swiss card (which gets replaced everytime I forget to remove it from my wallet and go to the airport).

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Just picked up one of these. A trekker with a plain edge.

trekker1b.jpg
Now that is the kind of Knife I've been looking for, shame that they don't seem to be sold in the UK, I for one don't really want to pay $26 for shipping when the knife only costs $29

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
Yes I carry a SAK but a slightly different verson however. It was made by Wenger in conjunction with the American company Buck Knives. It has clip style point blade instead of the traditional spear point and all the other usual attachments. I definite prefer the better point, but that is my personal opinion. They are not made any more as far as I know but old stocks of new knives show up at knife shows and swap meets.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi all,

Off course I own several victorinox knives, can't imagine live without one in my pocket. For every day use I always have an victorinox outrider in my pocket. I keep a spare work champ in my car. And somewhere around the house there should be one or two dutch army issue new victorinox knives lying around.

I think I will have a problem if I want to come to the uk though for all the victorinox knives have are equipped with a locking blade.

Do you guyd think it would be acceptable in the UK if I carry it with a jammed locking mechanism (simply bij putting some piece of wood between the switch and the scale ?

Grtz,

Niels

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
I carry a swisschamp to work but for the last couple of weeks on holiday it's been replaced with a farmer.

DSC00198.jpg

What are your opinions on the Farmer?

I've always been a Huntsman type through and through, but spotted the farmer in their catalogue the other day. Like the soldier but with a wood saw. Nice & simple.

I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure if it would replace the Huntsman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE