Are the Gov trying to remove our right to an allotment...????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Guys, I'd just like to say thanks for not getting political in this thread which could easily turn into a rant goodjob

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/press-release-17-03-13/ its much better to aquire some facts than to sign blindly though, Don't you think? These e petitions are so easy paste, copy and share. Any quango could get signatures if we don't question the information. We wouldn't want a rant, just freedom of speach.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just signed as well, and i echo macaroons comment on post 5 above. At moment of signing there were 340 views and 20 replies to thread, i would like to think most of those 340 have signed the petition even if they have not replied to thread.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
just signed as well, and i echo macaroons comment on post 5 above. At moment of signing there were 340 views and 20 replies to thread, i would like to think most of those 340 have signed the petition even if they have not replied to thread.

I've not signed it because there's no information on the petition to tell me anything about it. It seems to refer to something which is a couple of years out of date. I'm not sure it relates to the Farm Terrace case either as there's no reference to it.

If there was something to be concerned about writing an email/letter to your MP is a far better way to get your message across, although it may take a bit of thought and time.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/press-release-17-03-13/ its much better to aquire some facts than to sign blindly though, Don't you think? These e petitions are so easy paste, copy and share. Any quango could get signatures if we don't question the information. We wouldn't want a rant, just freedom of speach.

I for one have signed this petition on a broad principle rather than in reference to any particular incident; the likes of Mr. Pickles and his colleagues make no bones about stating on the record that they would like to free local councils from the
"onerous" duty and obligation to provide people with plots on which to grow healthy food...........and this on the same day as I've just heard on the Today programme that they finally got around to telling people unequivocally that 5-a-day is more
likely to stave off serious health issues and would be better as 7-a-day or more..............

Not politics, just basic common sense and the promotion of what should be a basic right and extremely good for society at large, not just those making use of it; as BR posted we need more people growing, not fewer! :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you would be surprised how many urban allotments are contaminated land, so much so that if anything was built on them there would have to be significant remediation to bring them up to a condition to be safe to public health.

In addition there is also a risk from any old allotments from things like As and gamma HCH. Many old allotments sites have had historic use of some nasty stuff as pesticides - and it is still kicking about

worth getting the soil checked if you are taking over and old allotment

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
...........and this on the same day as I've just heard on the Today programme that they finally got around to telling people unequivocally that 5-a-day is more
likely to stave off serious health issues and would be better as 7-a-day or more..............
However, Derbyshire Council are recommending access to food on a level to stave off starvation. Their goals now just getting people to be able to afford to eat on a daily basis, let alone focusing on the 5 a day campaign. If Parish Councils need to pass on more charges to their community residents in view of subsidised allotment rents/expenditure etc. Then this will have a greater adverse effect on local food consumption than the few who have access to subsidised allotments. If valuable (prime location) allotments were to be and similar NEW allotments bought in a more favourable location. Some profit from the original sale of the Old Allotments could go towards buying the new allotments and be invested to make the new allotments financially sustainable. Taking pressure off of local residents through reduced rates/taxes and potentially increasing the number of new allotments to meet any future demand.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
However, Derbyshire Council are recommending access to food on a level to stave off starvation. Their goals now just getting people to be able to afford to eat on a daily basis, let alone focusing on the 5 a day campaign. If Parish Councils need to pass on more charges to their community residents in view of subsidised allotment rents/expenditure etc. Then this will have a greater adverse effect on local food consumption than the few who have access to subsidised allotments. If valuable (prime location) allotments were to be and similar NEW allotments bought in a more favourable location. Some profit from the original sale of the Old Allotments could go towards buying the new allotments and be invested to make the new allotments financially sustainable. Taking pressure off of local residents through reduced rates/taxes and potentially increasing the number of new allotments to meet any future demand.

Selling allotments to finance more in a different location is fine by me : As long as there are guarantees and the money is ring-fenced to ensure it's use is to be as stated.

Also strikes me that if people really are that hungry and short of food what better way than growing in a community scheme can you think of to remedy that? :)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Signed
interestingly enough we had been on the waiting list for an allotment for some years when last year we got a letter from the council saying that we had to confirm our interest and would have to do so each year or we would be off the list. We have now got a half allotment (dont ask, dont get me started ) and the chair of our allotment association says that what the council were saying is illegal, they cannot just remove you from a list.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Signed
interestingly enough we had been on the waiting list for an allotment for some years when last year we got a letter from the council saying that we had to confirm our interest and would have to do so each year or we would be off the list. We have now got a half allotment (dont ask, dont get me started ) and the chair of our allotment association says that what the council were saying is illegal, they cannot just remove you from a list.

In the last few years attempts have been made to accurately assess the demand for plots on allotments. Unfortunately many smaller or private allotments may have become excluded. 2013 statistics can be viewed in this link. http://www.nsalg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ttwk_nsalg_survey_2013.pdf It also goes on to explain why the local authority would be requesting showing individual interest/registration annualy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In the last few years attempts have been made to accurately assess the demand for plots on allotments. Unfortunately many smaller or private allotments may have become excluded. 2013 statistics can be viewed in this link. http://www.nsalg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ttwk_nsalg_survey_2013.pdf It also goes on to explain why the local authority would be requesting showing individual interest/registration annualy.

That report contains the most ridiculous thing I have ever read (not by the report authors) -

Food 2030

[12], published by Defra, included the goal that "People feel connected to their food

and treat it as a source of wellbeing and enjoyment, for example through leisure activities such
as growing and cooking food"

Since when was growing and cooking food a "leisure activity"??

I wonder what other leisure activities they can think of? Breathing perhaps?

Sheesh.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Mods have pointed out to me that this thread should have been approved by me before it was posted or not posted at all as it's political in nature and we don't do politics on Bushcraft UK, so for future reference any straight forward political posts should be avoided and any that people are unsure about I need to give an explicit approval for them to be posted.

This thread will stand as long as it doesn't start getting too political or slagging anyone or any organisation off but it is being viewed as a political thread so don't be surprised if it's closed at the first miss step.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
That report contains the most ridiculous thing I have ever read (not by the report authors) -

Since when was growing and cooking food a "leisure activity"??

I wonder what other leisure activities they can think of? Breathing perhaps?

Sheesh.

Regarding "cooking" as a leisure activity. Many people pay to attend cooking classes/cooking holidays, both within the UK and around the world. Nobody pays to go on a ironing course/ironing holiday, as they consider ironing to be a chor. How many people sit in front of the TV watching cooking programs/cooking competitions? For some (males) the BBQ is the nearest thing to leisure cooking they can identify with. To these same people cooking may be viewed as a nessesary chor & to others a leisurly activity. The same can be said for gardening (whether growing fruit or vegitables or not) Defra statement "People feel connected to their food" in a round about way is showing people where food comes from "the earth" and not out of a carton, a plastic bag or supermarket shelf. Food is taken for granted, understanding the growing process is educational, Cooking and eating the produce promotes wellbeing and hopefuly enjoyment of food.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can't agree with that didicoy. Growing and cooking food are required for life. One can perhaps debate about cooking if willing to live on raw food, but growing food?

Growing food is, and always was, necessary for people to have a decent diet. That does not make it a leisure activity. I think the term deliberately trivialises growing your own as though to make it seem the preserve of big business. The fact that people enjoy a necessary task and seek to do it well does not make it a leisure activity - any more than a builder doing his job well or a doctor - there are TV programmes on those subjects as well.

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sorry Tony, that has to be my fault. I never thought about the political ramifications. :)

The Mods have pointed out to me that this thread should have been approved by me before it was posted or not posted at all as it's political in nature and we don't do politics on Bushcraft UK, so for future reference any straight forward political posts should be avoided and any that people are unsure about I need to give an explicit approval for them to be posted.

This thread will stand as long as it doesn't start getting too political or slagging anyone or any organisation off but it is being viewed as a political thread so don't be surprised if it's closed at the first miss step.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I would like to see someone say its a leisure activity after a good weekends digging, weeding, mucking out chicken and pig sheds etc... :)

Cooking itself can be a real pleasure yes, if you enjoy it. There are many who don;t though, and do it because its necessary, or the pay some takeaway to do it for them... would those people in the takeaway see their job as leisure activity? The reason there is so much cooking stuff on the TV, is because a lot of people can't cook, especially the younger generations.

Regarding "cooking" as a leisure activity. Many people pay to attend cooking classes/cooking holidays, both within the UK and around the world. Nobody pays to go on a ironing course/ironing holiday, as they consider ironing to be a chor. How many people sit in front of the TV watching cooking programs/cooking competitions? For some (males) the BBQ is the nearest thing to leisure cooking they can identify with. To these same people cooking may be viewed as a nessesary chor & to others a leisurly activity. The same can be said for gardening (whether growing fruit or vegitables or not) Defra statement "People feel connected to their food" in a round about way is showing people where food comes from "the earth" and not out of a carton, a plastic bag or supermarket shelf. Food is taken for granted, understanding the growing process is educational, Cooking and eating the produce promotes wellbeing and hopefuly enjoyment of food.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I can't agree with that didicoy. Growing and cooking food are required for life. One can perhaps debate about cooking if willing to live on raw food, but growing food?

Growing food is, and always was, necessary for people to have a decent diet. That does not make it a leisure activity. I think the term deliberately trivialises growing your own as though to make it seem the preserve of big business. The fact that people enjoy a necessary task and seek to do it well does not make it a leisure activity - any more than a builder doing his job well or a doctor - there are TV programmes on those subjects as well.

Red

I can well understand how you can hold that opinion regarding food as a nessesity to live. However, how many of us have actually grown food, raised animals for meat or produce & how many of us have left that to someone else to do? We all agree we need to eat. We don't need to grow things or cook for that matter. Someone else can do that for us. If we choose to cook, grow food, any pleasurable part of that process can be veiwed as a leisure activity. I have not posted links but have research this question

Since when was growing and cooking food a "leisure activity"?? just punch that into google, you will find ample research based evidence to support cooking and growing food to now be classed as a leisure activity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE