You don't see many hammocks there.

Diagon%20Alley.png

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Brill!!!!! thanks,
Do you know how you get in and out of the hennessy if you have a underblanket on?????

You can just push the underblanket to one side and then once you lift your legs up it snaps into place underneath you.

Back to the OP.... If a bad back is the issue perhaps a Hennessey hammock would be the best option, as due to the shape you can sleep a little flatter in them across the axis. Having said that, in my Exped Asym, I still sometimes feel a little "curved" but perhaps that's just my hanging technique?

How tall are you David ? I found the Exped a bit too short for my liking, I'm only 5' 10" but getting into something longer made all the difference for me. First the Nomads Land single layer (no net) was a revelation, with no bug protection though it's a winter only option for me unless I pack a separate net. The Blackbird I'm using now is long again and so much more comfy than the Exped I had a while ago.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
As a fresh hammock user, who slept many nights on terma-rest mats, or just US army blankets with spruce twigs layer underneath, I can confirm, that I have never slept that comfortably. My Mosquite Jungle Hammock was good investment, I admit.
Besides comfort, you avoid moisture from the soil, ant invasions or mosquito bites (net integrated).
I'm still not sure, how will that be to sleep in the hammock during the Polish winter. Terma-Rest mat with thick snow layer underneath gives me warmth comfort. I'm not sure, if hammock even with additional mat slided int the bottom of the hammock.
DSC03161.JPG

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
I used to be a regular user 10 years ago on a number of trips I made to the jungle and found them to be fantastic. As with many items, tailoring to your size, style, etc should be carried out prior to undertaking any expo. Just make sure you have enough tarp cover over your sleeping space as I know for other peoples experiences that it can be a common issue and can lead to a wet nights sleep...doh :togo:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I'm a convert to hammock camping now. However I will admit that the first 5 or so nights weren't that great (unless I was under the influence), not because it was uncomfortable but it just took a little getting used to. Thankfully now I can fall asleep very easily in it :)

Me and a friend are planning to do a winter camp in hammocks during January to see what's needed to stay warm in sub zero temps, Shug's videos on youtube (shugemery is his youtube username) are very good for learning about winter hammock camping and insulation :)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
on the second time i used my hammock, i slept for over 18 hours and missed the wild food feast on the course i was on.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
I have just come back from a weekends hammocking in a local forest, I set the tarp high and had fantastic views from the hammock, especially as the sun came up. Very comfortable as well. I do need an UQ tho as my thermarest seems to roam about.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I honestly still belive my tiny tent + matt + sleeping bag takes less room than a hammock. (and weighs less)

Could someone post a picture of their hammock gear when packed? With all the extra's like bug nets etc.. I would love to get into hammocking but somehow feel the tent technology has improved so much. A simple 2 man tent is so small and so light with only 1 stick / rod nowadays. Please convert me!
Tent I currently use :
http://www.carandcamping.co.uk/shop/2-man-Backpacking-Tent/prod_251.html

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I honestly still belive my tiny tent + matt + sleeping bag takes less room than a hammock. (and weighs less)

Could someone post a picture of their hammock gear when packed? With all the extra's like bug nets etc.. I would love to get into hammocking but somehow feel the tent technology has improved so much. A simple 2 man tent is so small and so light with only 1 stick / rod nowadays. Please convert me!
Tent I currently use :
http://www.carandcamping.co.uk/shop/2-man-Backpacking-Tent/prod_251.html

I'll do some pics later but as a guide my gear goes into the following dry bags ....

Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.7 ripstop hammock + suspension - Yellow 5L Exped bag - 1077g
DD 3x3m tarp with 2mm dynaglide ridgeline and guys - Green 3L Exped bag - 790g
Unsponsored 3/4 down underblanket - Sea-to-summit XS (6L) eVent compression bag - 750g

It's not the lightest setup but easily packed and always a good sleep if trees are available.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I really enjoy the hammock it does take a while to get use to and you may thrash around like a mad person at first but once comfy its bliss.

I still camp and bivvy and always will I like to camp on mountain tops which usually means a lack of trees. To be honest its worth giving it a go as you would still be able to sell it on if you didnt get on with it. I use a DD frontline which is more than adequate and is reasonably priced.

Have fun trying anyway!!!!

Hammocking imvho is not about less weight or less volume perse.

It is about comfort.

Being blessed with the capabilities to even sleep folded up in Thai public transport (me being 6'2") I still choose a hammock when I can.

Haven't weighted (spelling?) it all but from a volume point of view and the extra's it gives me I'll try and explain and not repeat most other posters ;-)

Tarp: 3mtr x 3 mtr DD or 8ft x 8 ft JRB gives me admin, cooking, dry, shade and windless areas with enough room to sit, lie, stand. Hard to do in most tents, specifically with a fire underneath the tarp (which should equal to a fire in a tent :yikes: :nono: exceptions not discussed here/now :rolleyes:)

Hammock: Hennessy; No seeum: midges, mozzies, bats, leeches, ants..... O and a chair or lounger too (not just the Hennessy but...)

Isolation: Well I tried broadened mats, semi inflated mats in dossbags or between layers but my choice is top quilt and underquilt. Top quilt (just a sleeping bag can do that), to me a footbox is mandatory. Top and underquilt take up no more room or weight then normal sleeping bag.

Underquilt: JRB No Sniveler which I can also use as a down vest.

Underquilts in the UK: Snugpak from Lurch or DD or from Unsponsored (no connections to any of them...)

Personally I found a DD just a tad too small (narrow). I would NOT choose a waterproof bottom (sweat!!) for the very few times you have to use it as a bivvy (overengineering comes to (my) mind).

To sum it up.
No weight or volume contest.
Visualize a compressed sleeping bag, a tarp and about a Crusader mug/bottle (volume! for hammock).

Comfort and that is very personal! No rainy boggy ground, no rocks, roots, unleveled ground, just two trees.

Having said all this. Last weekend I put up the (Kifaru) tipi and had a blast. Mountains, Scandinavian winters etc. I might NOT go hammocking..... but then again... I might....winter hammocking is possible.... but that subject has been done a few times ;-)

Horses for courses I guess. Just give it a try and don't be put of by one less good experience... Heck if I did that I never went diving, eating out, drinking, bow drilling and more stuff that is out of bounds on this forum :rolleyes:

Grtz Johan

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
hmm im starting to like the idea. I'll keep an eye out for a good hammock at a cheap price. I have lots of gear to catch up on :)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have just asked SWMBO and she said, providing you have the correct size and it's adjusted properly they are really comfortable. :p

Pedalpusher

Sep 5, 2010
Inverness
www.highbike.com
Hello to you all, I'm a new member but a Hammock Fan! when I travel it's on a bicycle to weights important so I carry a DD camping Hammock
(http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/hammocks/camping-hammock) very comfortable sleep and with the top pulled out keeps rain and midges out, only problem is you can't cook in them.
I've slept on the ground often enough but given a tree or even a fence post I'm in my hammock and a very cosy sleep

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE