Are hammocks any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kilocharlie51

Feb 18, 2010
swansea
don't know if this has been covered before, I'm thinking of buying a hammock this year, are they any good? and what's out there?

Thanks guys.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Kidding!!!
Ash,from Natural Bushcraft converted me last year!
I have just taken possesion of a DD frontline
( Check out the group buy section on this site!)
C da C.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
yeah...and.....nah....depends why and what you want,
this has been discussed many, many, many, times on BCUK!
do a search for "Hammocks" (top right hand corner of the page) it'll keep you going for a few hours!:lmao:.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
They're GRrrrrreeatt!!!
:lmao: I was waiting for that :lmao:
tony-the-tiger-frosties.jpg

Big hammock fan, mostly just for lounging around but I do tend to get a better night's sleep in a hammock outdoors than in my bed at home.

kilocharlie51

Feb 18, 2010
swansea
Thanks guys, I thought that the topic may have been raised here but weren't to sure where to look.

Brock - sound advice, been caught out on a slope a few times in my early years. Thanks.

DD Hammocks seem to be a name cropping up a lot.

Thanks again. Why has it taken me so long to discover this site?:You_Rock_

If you do DD, why not go for the new 2010 travel hammock, it's base layers are waterproof, so converts nicely into a bivi, giving the option of ground dwelling, the frontline isn't waterproof!

Plus, if your out in this weather, like all hammocks, extras and modifications are a must! ie An underquilt! (air flow under you will be you major headache!)

Checkout www.Hammockforums.net
it's probably your best bet for modifications etc!

(sorry guys for the stear away.. Don't forget to come back To BCUK aye!)

Jan 5, 2010
bedfordshire
Sam got me a hammock and the first time we used them id been diagnosed with sciatica that day but wherent gonna cancel trip!!
Was probably best nights sleep id had in ages!! although getting in n out was interesting!
Cant wait till weather gets alittle better to get them out again. I'd say they are well worth it.
Lisa -Lady of tanith:hammock:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hammocks are pants, I'd much rather sleep on a cold lumpy floor and have things crawling all over me in the night.

You've got to try one if you haven't already, you'll never look back.

Snug
DSC01540.jpg

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
don't know if this has been covered before, I'm thinking of buying a hammock this year, are they any good? and what's out there?

Thanks guys.

They are mate, when sleeping on the ground isn't the best option. They do take a bit of getting used to, but once you have a system and a routine that works for you, they're great.

I like the Hennessy system and used them on jungle expeditions for nearly 10 years now, never had a problem at all, pictured below in the Borneo rainforest.

Here's a link.....

http://hennessyhammock.com/

:)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find them so good that I now have difficulty sleeping well in a bed! :eek:

Whichever one you choose, make sure that your tarp is a good deal bigger - it gives you valuable 'living space' that is out of the rain.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I have a DD hammock and it's a great bit of kit but recently I picked up a couple of hammocks from Tenth Wonder
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Hammocks__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Significantly cheaper than DD and in my opinion just as good. If I were to pick fault, the ends of the supplied tapes hadn't been heat sealed, but 5 mins with a lighter sorted that. I'm amazed they don't get more mention on forums, they're a bargain. TBH if their mozzie netter hammock had 2 zips like the latest DD one does I'd replace my DD hammock. they're that good.
I have no association with the company, just bought a couple of hammocks from them. That makes a family total of 7 hammocks. It's not an addiction though, I could quit anytime..... :D

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
My advice is try as many different kinds as you can, then try them in as many different positions as you can. Everybody is different so you need to work out if you like it taught or loose, thick or thin, Waterproof or not, and what materials are comfortable for you. I wouldne reccomend getting a DD unless you are loaded. If you spend nearly £50 and dont like it your at a loss, even if you sell it on. Get to a meet or buy a cheap ine to begin with. you might not even like them at all. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE