arctic plea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
hi anyone who might be able to help. I am due to track polar bear in the Canadian Arctic at the end of April for three weeks and need to get hold of all the relevant clothing/bedding etc before I go. Does anyone have anything suitable that I might be able to borrow/buy cheap? I'm looking for it all, including things that I may not have thought of yet!
-40 sleeping bag
skidoo trousers or down salopettes
jacket
gloves
goggles
mattress/cot?
boots.
I'm female, on the large size, 5'10" tall. size 6 boot.
cannot borrow any of it out there as not a recognised expedition as such, but joining a group of 7 inuits and 3 researchers.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't forget to take a good hat / Balaclava!

Take Mittens instead of gloves, they keep your hands warmer. I personally recommend Dachstein Mitts, these are the best mittens I have used in Arctic weather: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17851&memberId=12500226
But also take a thin pair of gloves to use as contact gloves in case you have to do anything fiddly, because you don't want your fingers sticking to any metal.

A neoprene face/ski mask will also stop you from getting frostbite on the face whilst travelling on the skiddoo! like this: http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/ski_masks.htm

Good luck on the trip.:)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got some kit you can borrow if it is suitable. If you think you can use a dew liner, goretex/pile mitt's, folding cot, goggles etc. If you can get to South Wales you're more than welcome to borrow them so long as you bring back some pic's for my little boy! ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jedadiah said:
I've got some kit you can borrow if it is suitable. If you think you can use a dew liner, goretex/pile mitt's, folding cot, goggles etc. If you can get to South Wales you're more than welcome to borrow them so long as you bring back some pic's for my little boy! ;)

I used Dew liners in Norway during winter, they are good bits of kit! Especially if you want an all in one scooter suit.:cool:

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
blimey!I wasn't expecting such a fantastic response, so thankyou all so much for looking up on ebay, words of encouragement, great advice and for kindly offering to let a complete stranger loose with your wardrobe. I'm still in the mist of trying to persuade people to part with their cash and so not sure how much I have to spend at the minute, but if the offer of borrowing kit still stands, i'll get back to you individaully and let you know what I haven't managed to get.
-40 sleeping bag was what was first recommended to me by the guys in canada. We'll be staying in tents and igloos. they have since said -20 so may go for the double sleeping bag option that nomad of soul suggested.
dew liners i'd never even heard of so thanks for pointing those ones out. Are they some kind of magic suit? how can they go from +60 to -40? have been told by a friend that I'm not allowed to get one though because they think I'll then be living in it for the next 6 months.
But thanks again for your advice and I'll get back to you all soon on final decisions......I am positively confused as too much choice. Maybe thats why they don't let women on these things too often!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi,
the offer of kit loan still stands. Dew Liners are basically an all in one quilted suit with a hood. They are issued to the military for use in ecw situations (extreme cold weather). Not 100% sure what they are made from but they basically have a zip that goes from your throat to your ankle, chest pockets and pockets on the front of your hips. There is also a zip down the centre of the faux fur lined hood so if it is windy and for some reason you dont want the hood up, it can be split down the middle and press studded onto your shoulders. There is also a fully adjustable waist belt.

I wore mine in the depths of the Antarctic winter whilst working outside. All i had on underneath was a t-shirt and long johns and at times i had to drop the zip i was that warm.

I havent heard about the temperature variations you mentioned, in my experience i would not even entertain the thought of using one unless it was well below zero. Perhaps it is something to do with the temp values? Do the Canuks use Degree's F and we use Degree's C?

The goggles are Scott goggles and i have two pairs, one lightly tinted for sunlight and one heavily tinted for Arctic/ Antarctic sun and snow combo! :eek:

The cot is the British Military version of the American folding cot. It does the job, but it is'nt the lightest in the world and may be a little cumbersom.

Your more than welcome to borrow them if you can collect, just give me some notice so i can dig them out. :D

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Hi BK

I'll mail you as I may be down your way this weekend...just got some diving gear so want to try it out..

ANYWAY!

I have..

a Dewliner
A Snugpak Antarctica http://www.us-elitegear.com/catalog/antarctica-2c.htm
US
US army bear suit and polypros including a polypro open face balaclava which would fit nicely around a pair of goggles (all need a dry clean really first) http://cgi.ebay.com/Cold-Weather-BE...yZ137007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/L-R-ECWCS-bear-...ryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've got the ecwcs trousers and coat for these (very very reluctant to see them go..but you would benefit from the more :( ) http://cgi.ebay.com/Desert-Camo-ECW...ryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and the trousers to go with them

They should be the right size...I've got some baffin boots but are size 10, so unless you use tons of socks they wont be much help. Additionally, size 9 scarpa vega boots....they are an absolute nightmare as they are sooo heavy but your welcome if you want.

But let me know.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
bear knights said:
hi anyone who might be able to help. I am due to track polar bear in the Canadian Arctic at the end of April for three weeks and need to get hold of all the relevant clothing/bedding etc before I go. Does anyone have anything suitable that I might be able to borrow/buy cheap? I'm looking for it all, including things that I may not have thought of yet!
-40 sleeping bag
skidoo trousers or down salopettes
jacket
gloves
goggles
mattress/cot?
boots.
I'm female, on the large size, 5'10" tall. size 6 boot.
cannot borrow any of it out there as not a recognised expedition as such, but joining a group of 7 inuits and 3 researchers.
Thanks a lot in advance.

For boots I'd suggest the Canadian Military extreme cold weather mukluk. You can get them fairly cheap on e-bay - or in most any Canadian military surplus store.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE