Arctic Overbag for Skyehigh 100

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm currently considering the pros and cons of various systems for my next winter trip. The average overnight temperature is likely to be -30.

Option 1) Take my 5 season down bag rated to -54. A great bag but not versatile and not much use at temps above -20.

Option 2) 4 season down bag with 4 season Buffalo pile bag used as a liner and a VBL between the 2 bags. - Very interested in trying this option. The Buffalo bag will get moist overnight but I think I could freeze dry it during the day. The down bag should stay dry due to the VBL. This system would allow the drying of damp boot liners etc without degrading the performance of the main down bag. Not as light as the single 5 season bag but more versatile and robust. The Buffalo pile bag could be replaced with a lighter synthetic 3 season bag. The negative side of VBL sleeping systems is that the clothing you sleep in will become damp i.e. you will not be able to sleep in your down clothing.

Option 3) 3 season down bag inside my 4 season bag. Tried and tested and almost as lightweight as the 5 season bag. Not as effective at moisture management as option 2 but very effective if temps are warmer than expected.

Option 4) 4 season bag with synthetic overbag. Hopefully the down bag would stay warm enough to prevent ice formation within the down layer. The down bag has a water resistant breathable outer so drying kit between the layers should be an option.

Option 5+) I have good 1,2,3,4 and 5 season down bags, a Buffalo Superbag, Buffalo 4 season inner and outers and could invest in a VBL bag and/or a synthetic overbag. There are numerous options with various pros and cons.

Last edited:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Greg,
Where did you get your Army bag from? I'm probably being slow - there seems to be several types of Brit Arctic bags - but is it the 90 pattern type you are referrring to or something different?

Thanks

Make sure ya get the one stating 'Arctic bag' on the label. The 90 and the Arctic bag look the same. They are both synthetic but the Arctic bag has more filling and seems to be slightly more mummy shaped, with a narrower foot box. It is still roomy inside though. Many will say they are the same bag with different labels but they're different. The one labelled Arctic bag is warmer. Don't get a large size if you don't need it as they are huge inside.

I'd also recommend buying a new one as there are a lot of lemons around. Constant laundering can render them useless and soldiers like to be clean. The first one I had I froze at O degrees which isn't exactly Arctic conditions. I now have a brand new un issued bag and it's a different story.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
One tip I've just picked up regarding down bags is to compress them as soon as you get out. This should remove moist air which will freeze as the bag cools.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Thanks Dave - was thinking a new one is the way to go.
Sounds as if buying from a shop where they can be seen + checked rather than unseen by mail order might be wise too - or at least getting one from a trusted mail order place e.g. Endicotts. There seem to be a few places claiming to be selling "new" or un-issued, on that auction site, not sure whether they are kosher.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I usually have the snugpak pants and top as sleepwear with my dossbag inside a british army bivvy bag. Works well with minimum moisture. I don't like the vapour barrier idea as I feel getting out of a sleeping bag in freezing temps with wet skin/sleep suit isn't going to be fun. Natives like the Saami, Evenk and Inuit don't do vapour barriers either, although they probably don't need to using skins and wool where frost can be simply brushed off.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Make sure ya get the one stating 'Arctic bag' on the label. The 90 and the Arctic bag look the same. They are both synthetic but the Arctic bag has more filling and seems to be slightly more mummy shaped, with a narrower foot box. It is still roomy inside though. Many will say they are the same bag with different labels but they're different. The one labelled Arctic bag is warmer. Don't get a large size if you don't need it as they are huge inside.

I'd also recommend buying a new one as there are a lot of lemons around. Constant laundering can render them useless and soldiers like to be clean. The first one I had I froze at O degrees which isn't exactly Arctic conditions. I now have a brand new un issued bag and it's a different story.

Exactly right...and also the Arctic bag has an extra baffle too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE