Arctic fox find! Advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So, last weekend I picked up two arctic fox pelts from a secondhand clothing shop... They had been fashioned into one of those awful hand warmer things.
anyway, I've been looking for some arctic fox to make a fur ruff for my parka, so imagine how over the moon I was to get two (poor things were sewn together) for only 15 quid!
The only snag is... When I took it apart tonight I found it had been made in 1914!
hence the skin/leather is quite fragile.
i will probably mount the fur on fabric before attatching it to the hood. Does anyone have any advice on prolonging the life if the skin? Maybe a silicone...
I'm gutted, as I hate the idea of buying new fur. I hope I can pull this project off?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was asked about this not long ago, and found a clear bit of advice to quote to my friend.

"Conditioning a Fur Jacket

Although best when done by a furrier, one can also condition the leather of a fur jacket at home. To do this, start by removing the lining from the jacket. To make the conditioner, one needs:

Oil, such as mink oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil or neatsfoot oil,
and a Mild Acid; use either white vinegar or spirit vinegar

Mix one part vinegar and two parts oil in a large container. Shake or stir vigorously, and then use a clean cloth to dab the conditioner onto the inside skin of the coat. Hang for a few days, allowing the vinegar to evaporate along with any odors and the oil to sink into the skin. "

I'd try it on a small bit first, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
That's very timely - I've just been given a rabbit full length fur coat to make into a jerkin and other fun stuff and was wondering how to look after the skin. Thank you...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I watched a programme once, where a fella was repairing an old hide, and he had to spend all night rubbing in layer after layer of his 'solution' so the hair on the other side didnt fall out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE