Arctic Expedition Feb 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Due to my my accursed job, I'm not going to be able to go as I'd hoped. Hope the folks who do really enjoy themselves.

I've done a fair bit of web searching looking over kit etc and there's a couple of sites that folks might like to take a look at.

This place has great looking kit, even for bigger 'boned' persons like myself. Might be complete overkill but looks like seriously nice gear.
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/sizing.htm
I'm still trying to work out if I can justify to myself buying kit that good for Argyll or Aberdeenshire.

Thermals: They do sets again including for bigger 'boned'.
http://www.xcelcius.com/uk/acatalog/ultratherm-package.php

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
has anyone looked at ferries? When I was in the army, some of our advance party took a ferry from Newcastle to Bergen, I'm not sure if you can get the train from Bergen to Bardufoss, but it's worth looking in to. How do the Bushcraft Expedition guys get themselves over there?
As for kit you don't need anything fancy, although Dachstein mitts are a godsend!

May 11, 2009
devon
Hi

There is no Longer a ferry service that runs from Newcastle to Bergen anymore it was stopped last year along with the ferry service that ran from Harwich to Christian sands the only way buy Ferry is to go from Harwich to Denmark then Denmark to Bergen. I had recently looked into this as i was moving over to West Norway and I wanted to take dog with me and thought the ferry would be easier. but no it wasnt.

the nearest train service I believe is Tromso so it a bit of a trek from there to get to Bardufoss.
I have been a couple of times to Bardufoss the best way i found was either Heathrow/Gatwick to Oslo then Oslo to Bardufoss, personally I found this to be the best way and easiest and less stressful. there are other flights from Manchester or West Midlands that go to Oslo.
Ryan Air did do a flight for silly money to Oslo Rygg but I found the transfer time to Oslo Guardemeon where the Bardufoss flight goes from was to long and worked out expensive.
I have been on a few of Bushcraft Expeditions courses including there arctic course I've found them to be a great bunch of people and very knowlegable.I really enjoyed thier courses

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Travel:

For those confirmed on coming on the BCUK Arctic Expedition it may be worth organising yourselves into travel groups now, that way you will have the ability to group book etc and coordinate things between yourselves. A suggestion would be the following groups (You will have to decide amongst yourselves who is going to instigate/organise these groups)

Group 1: Those flying to Oslo with Ryan on the Saturday, stopping in Oslo overnight and then flying onto Bardufoss on the Sunday (Returning the same route but with no overnight in Oslo) This is the suggested and probably the best travel option.

Group 2: Those doing the above but not stopping in Oslo overnight it might be a good idea if this group organise a charter bus/taxi/minibus to get them from one airport to the other in Oslo as there is only 3 hours between flights and it will give you piece of mind having some one meet/drop you off - this should not be necessary on the return flight as you have 6 hours between flights this is probably the cheapest flight option.

Group 3: Those getting the Norwegian flight up to Tromso and then the bus down to Bardufoss.

I'll add this info to the first post ;)

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I have to remove myself of the list.

Tony Bristow
Phill Grant
Chris the Cat
Atross
Gailainne
Littlebiglane
Stretch3144
Korvin Karbon
Jaysurfer
Firebringer
Matthew.Passmore
Johan Hoogendijk (NL)
Marc Smeehuijzen (NL)
littlefolker
dardar (IRL)
knobby norway(uk)
Barry Smith (barryasmith)
Chris Hall (care of barryasmith)
johnnytheboy (john forret)
Nightjar (Philip Henderson) (Northern Ireland)
Leonidas
Geoffrey McMullan
Adam Logan (UK)
David Taylor (UK)
dave davies (Wales)
5.10leader
Greg
Jif (John Graham)
Gary Nimmo (care of barryasmith)
Robevs73 - Robert Evans (Llanelli carmarthenshire)
felden - Russell Fielding
Glen
Agile

Gailainne

Life Member
Hmmm

I've looked at all the combinations and;

It looks like I have to fly to Torp from Prestwick on the 12th to catch the Norwegian flight on the 14th, no ryanair flights on the 13th, ditto on the way back, no flights on the 20th, fly home on the 21st.

Sooooo 3 nights in Oslo, what will I do :bluThinki :D :cool:

Stephen

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
FYI - Return flights from Oslo to Bardufoss via Norwegian... 133 Euro (Single booking NOT group booking)

I'll probably book the following, if anyone travelling from Hampshire (South or South West) is interested in this particular itinerary let me know as I'll be leaving my car at the airport.....
Plenty of room (Big bottom Range Rover)...

From London Heathrow (LHR) via Oslo (OSL) to Bardufoss (BDU)
Best synchronizing of flights I've found to date....

Outbound 14th Feb 2010
Arrive LHR 0600
Depart LHR 0720 - Arr OSL 1030 (British Airways Flight)
Depart OSL 1315 - Arr BDU 1505 (Norwegian)

RV Bardufoss arrivals 1530 14th Feb
HAVE LOADS OF FUN
Dropped of at BDU at 1300 20th Feb

Return 20th Feb 2010
Depart BDU 1415 - Arr OSL 1605
Depart OSL 1710 - Arr LHR 1840

If anyone is arranging or wants someone to arrange a group flight via Norwegian Airlines on the above date and times let me know as I'll add my name or arrange the flight group.

If not, I'll see you there :)

Cheers.

Gailainne

Life Member
Depart OSL 1315 - Arr BDU 1505 (Norwegian)

RV Bardufoss arrivals 1530 14th Feb
HAVE LOADS OF FUN
Dropped of at BDU at 1300 20th Feb

Return 20th Feb 2010
Depart BDU 1415 - Arr OSL 1605

I think the internal flight from Oslo to Bardufoss is pretty much common to everyone, a group purchase definitely seems the way to go. Now we wait to see how many people pay their deposits, looks like it needs ten or more to qualify for the group discount.

The flight from London gives me another option or two, nice one.

Cheers

Stephen

Nightjar

May 19, 2009
Belfast
am just heading out to get all muddy for a week. I am from Belfast but I feel the Heathrow route will be easiest. looking forward to the trip

Philip

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE