Arctic bleeding.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
On the wonderfull Norwegian Arctic trip with BcUK this feb I managed to get a small cut
on my top lip.
We were outside having lessons and it was a chilly -22 that afternoon.
The interesting thing was that I could not get the the bleeding to stop for about 2 hours!
despite constant pressure!
I thought that the sub-zero temps would help with vaso-constriction!?
So why do we bleed like stuck pigs in arctic conditions??
Any ideas?
Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could it be because the body is trying extra hard to pump blood to the extremities ?

No idea really, the coldest I've been down to was -12 in Scotland

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Could be Rich, I hadn't thought of that.
Its funny tho because cold water stops bleeding ( small razor cut say..)
but not in these conditions!
Chris.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What an excellent question. I've no idea.

Does the body change it's blood composition to compensate for cold weather? Does the body thin it at all because it's getting thicker because of the cold? Umm, that sounds a bit daft but hey :D

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Even Woody didn't know Tony!
But he did point out in one of the edged tools talks that if you cut yourself out here
you WILL bleed!
Its been on my mind off and on since I got back, and as I have just cut my self shaving
( and staunched it with very cold water ) I was reminded!
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
P.s This is my 1000th post!
Thank you for having me, I look forward to putting some names to faces at the moot!
Cheers BcUK! ( raises large glass of cold white wine! )
Chris.

Reactions: Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
as far as I know it because the blood has thinned due to the bodys reaction to the cold, your vascular system is trying to move oxygen around to heat and fuel the muscles, this reduces the platelets so it moves more freely but dosent clot well hence long term bleeding, i'll dig my aid memoir I think it's got better explaination.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
well the vaso constriction of the cold would not push the two halves of the wound together it would need to expand to close the wound not contract... i think...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
my cold weather aid manual, advises to pro tect and warm any exposed cuts so to promot the richer blood flow and aid clotting, also that any formed clotting will be very brittle and detach easliy and the area will be more suceptable to frost bite, COOOL! did it stop bleeding when you went into the warm?.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
No!
But warm is a relative concept! It was well below freezing wherever we were unless we were stood right in front of the fire or in our bags at night.
Thanks for the info.
Chris

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Prolonged vasoconstriction will usually result in frostbite at those temperatures, so the system favours constriction followed by short periods of dilation to maintain the tissue of the bodily extremities (until it gets so cold and then shuts down completely, thereby accepting the inevitable freezing and subsequent tissue damage).

In cold weather, the blood does not tend to thin, in fact it thickens and so will generally clot faster. The capillary bleeding in this case is likely due to the effect of the periods of vasodilation of the mouth/nose/lips, this being one area the body will not sacrifice to the cold (unlike, say, the toes or ears).

Reactions: Crowe

Wayland

Hárbarðr
sign15.gif
This is something I have never experienced but it is a very useful heads up.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Its foxed a few folk I have asked Wayland!
You live and learn, thats one of the great things about this site.
Thanks all.
Chris.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
What do I need to read to gen up on cold weather injuries?

I can recommend the Oxford Handbook of Expedition and Wilderness Medicine for general information on all climatic areas, or Dr Jane's 'Bugs, Bites and Bowels' for a somewhat lighter read (Jane also has a specific book for travellers with children).

Reactions: Crowe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE