Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Heh Ross

You guys rocked mate, first rate instruction, with a (needed :rolleyes:) sense of humour, seriously, your patience and willingness to listen and explain was first rate from all of you, I'd happily go on another exped with any of you, Megan first choice obviously. :D

I've ordered a copy of "the snow walkers companion", looks like interesting reading apart from the patterns.

Cheers

Stephen

Feb 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Now Colin what are you referring to???

For me the Norge jumpers were amazing, and I second what Dave said about the Factor 2 Thermals. They're incredibly good at wicking - when I did get sweaty, they stayed dry and my mid layer was the one that was damp!

I had a pair of Primaloft 'heat system' mitts that really did the job - they were warm and soft, and not too big so I could still work with them on. Pretty robust too, I kept nicking them with my saw but there's not a mark on them to show it.

Main issue I had was sleeping bag - I borrowed one off Woody's lot, but they're clearly not made (or rated) for the ladies! I was cold every night :( Definitely worth investing in a women's sleeping bag, rated for a LOW temperature as apparently I sleep cold :cool:

Also, beware Goretex in the extreme cold - you don't need it to keep dry as the snow isn't exactly melting, and it's all to easy to sweat in it - I'd keep it back for the times when you really need windproofing from the windchill :eek:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Did anybody get any shots of me & my showshoes - I'd appreciate some copies if poss as i was kinda pleased with them

Cheers
Nick

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Folks

Did anybody get any shots of me & my showshoes - I'd appreciate some copies if poss as i was kinda pleased with them

Cheers
Nick

Did you mean these fine snowshoes :rolleyes:
Lovely job by the way.

Tom

4387638732_e1885b0475_o.jpg

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Folks

Cheers
Nick

Yep - I've got a handful of photos and a high def movie of you stomping your stuff.

I'll post them up here towards the end of next week, as I'm off on a stag do this weekend.

Ag

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Who's finding this weather too warm!!!

I've been walking about in T-shirts while the 'locals' have been wrapped up in layers.

Did any one manage to take and video footage for the Sami lady on the final night? I stupidly set my camera up wrong and only got time laps footage.

I want to go back...

Vince (tent 3) whats your forum name????

Cat: send me a PM with your home address so that i can post the stuff you sneaked into my baggage!!!!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Ok,

Thanks to you all for a fantastic week, made ultra funny by the cat and his antics. Obvious thanks to the london guys, and JJD (you are now a legend at Oslo airport - the counter staff were amazed at your likeness!!!

The course was well run and the staff, were not only funny but hugely knowledgeable, So thanks to Stani, Ross, Jed, Megan and Woody.

The gear I took this time was almost the same as the gear i took last year, with the addition of Rab storm bivi bag, which I was glad of.

Good gear (stuff I will use again)

The hestra guide gloves (real warm and you can still work in them)
Anything Merino
Snugpak sleeka jacket (i won't bother with the north face monster down jacket again)
Swedish army windproof smocks (these are way better than the british army goretex i used last year)
Second hand norgie jumpers off Woody (FANTASTIC and I will endeavour to buy more as I see them)
Thermos ultra light flasks (as Stephen said, they will keep water hot enough to make coffee for 12 hours and after 24 hours water is still good and warm - I can't rate these highly enough)
Good old Petzl Tika torch (I took a zebra light head torch and a highpower led hand torch both sets of batteries ran out within 24hrs - Lithiums suck in the cold) The Petzl had 1 set of batteries for the whole week.
Reindeer skins Better than any mattress

Bad gear
Sodding Matterhorn boots (fine when you are walking and active, but pants for standing around in
Lithium batteries (as above pants in the cold)
Snugpak antarctica RE sleeping bag (to small for a 6'6" fella) but as warm as toast so if you are say 6'2" this is a great bag !!!

Indifferent
German army cold weather trousers (great trousers until the get wet and freeze - I will have FajllRaven foresters next time round)

Thanks to all on the course, you were a good bunch to be with.

Chris

p.s. Northern lights pictures? I have a few..... This one to whet the appetite:

DSC_0186_fixed.jpg

Jul 1, 2008
Oxfordshire
Coln18... I have a photo of you looking like the Arctic Expo's rent boy inside the quincy. Unfortunately I'm not authorised to post attachments ;-) lol.

Scott

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Scott, i cant help it if i was the only pretty one on the exped, even little johnny depp looked a bit rough compared to my beauty, Even Odd Knut commented that i was as pretty as the northern lights and let me tell you thats pretty.

As for being the exped rent boy, well i needed extra money for extra rations thats why Jed took me to the instructors hut, we all look the same wrapped in a big north face parka, but the things he made me do......and all for an extra carrot....the shame of it....LOL

Keep posting mate and you should be able to do all that you need in a few more posts....and remember your Scottish my boy start acting like a Coatbrige boy should and i dont mean mugging old ladies.....

Take care mate and speak to you later...

Col.

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Hi all, bit late posting, you guys have been busy.

I agree with all said, top week and I think we were really spoiled by the quality of instructors, well impressed.

Biggest lesson learned, never fly with Ryan Air 15kg is not enough. Also I wish I took more natural materials, more wool, less manmade, soft plastic holdalls seem to be made of sheet metal after 1 day in the cold.

The woodlore Canada Jay sleeping bag was not that fantastic IMHO, but it might not have recovered from the pee bottle overflow on the first night, half litre is not enough and I was cold most nights.

I have posted all of my arctic pictures and some movies here, feel free to download.

http://gallery.me.com/vinnyp68#100210

Has any one got some decent northern lights pics, none of mine came out?

Vinny

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Good effort Vinny, nice pictures there mate, you must have been like David Bailey out there snapping away every 2 seconds...

ive even changed my wee tiny photo using the one of me when we did the dog sledging, last one to the north pole gets the beers in....you still owe me one, cause if i remember your dogs were that slow they must have had just 3 legs each lol.....

Col...

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
Great Pics Vinny, anyone else got any photos they could FTP/Upload. I have a huge area to upload photos and would like to collate all the photos/movies from the trip so we have a large file dump for people to download.

Please mail me any photo links you have so I can start creating an image area.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I'm planning on uploading my images this weekend (there's about 300, although only about 50 which are any good).

I've got a pretty awesome one of the tents with the northern lights in the background, but it's only just good enough for a wallpaper image, as the sky is rather grainy and you can see the little lines where the stars are.

As for the video of the Sami lady, I've got a good "sweep" shot, but it was taken from behind her. It's in high def video, but I'll probably upload it in normal def to save space and time.

Cheers,

Ag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE