Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Do we get a prize, i hope so cause ive had my goatee for 5 years now and the rest is now at 6 days growth, i think i will have to look out the baby bio for extra
growth if there is a prize involved.

And no hiring santa beards guys, i will be checking.....LOL...

Colin

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Damn!! On saturday I had to shave down to a 'Mexican 'tach' for a fancy dress!!!
I will have to see what I can do in the time remaining!
C da C.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Hah

Got you lot beat already - started mine in June

Trimmed it a bit since

Dont even try to tell me it doesnt count!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Nick

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I will match your beard and raise it with mine - I was in zz top, and things havent went so well for us lately, cant afford a razor and all that, so put that in your bushcraft carved pipe and smoke it Nick my boy.....LOL

Colin

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Itchy beard every time.
Agreed, but NOT if you're wearing a Buffalo shirt/top.
The velcro around the neck sticks to stubble like poop to a blanket.
(reminisces back to a 1980's Pennine Way trip) ...

ZZ Top!? Pah, those bumfluff boyz don't come close to the welcome mat that is my five-o-clock shadow.
Coln18, I'll match your ZZ-Top and raise your stakes. Grizzly Adams, anyone?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
OK some beard rules....!

No dreads, beads, plats or other none manly items!
Strictly testosterone fuelled offerings only....cough cough :viking:

and the rules for the boys are.....:rofl:

I'm sticking with my usual Indiana Jones several days of stubble ;)

Tom

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Even though i have literally just got back from a business trip to ottawa, canada, where the temp was minus 30 degrees celsius and it really hurt the exposed skin on the face. I dont think i can bring myself to grow a beard. It's an ex military thing! Seriously though. . . You will need to cover your face, the wind chill is brutal!

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
Hi Stu,

Sleeping bag liners will be supplied for those renting them

Woody
cheers for confirming woody. As always timing is everthing....and mine's rubish! Tom has just offered up a bag for collection at heathrow and i'm on the same plane. Would it be bad form to opt out of the rental in norway in favour of tom's offer. If it causes you a problem or leaves you out of pocket i'll stick with the rental in norway. Tom, just checking the offer of the bag is still there?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
A while ago I mentioned I'd be taking a camcorder....well...needs must, the £'s went on a generator instead....and unless there is a blue moon in the next two weeks I'll not be getting a camcorder in time for the trip.

Is anyone taking a camcorder who is willing to share the footage?
Would be great to capture and share with the group later :D

Tom

Woody

Forager
cheers for confirming woody. As always timing is everthing....and mine's rubish! Tom has just offered up a bag for collection at heathrow and i'm on the same plane. Would it be bad form to opt out of the rental in norway in favour of tom's offer. If it causes you a problem or leaves you out of pocket i'll stick with the rental in norway. Tom, just checking the offer of the bag is still there?

Stuart,
No worries .. the hire kit is mucho's flexible, it will still be there if you do need it (Its all on site)

A while ago I mentioned I'd be taking a camcorder....well...needs must, the £'s went on a generator instead....and unless there is a blue moon in the next two weeks I'll not be getting a camcorder in time for the trip.

Is anyone taking a camcorder who is willing to share the footage?
Would be great to capture and share with the group later :D

Tom

Tom,

We will be snapping away and filming as well, I will ask every one to send in their footage/images to the office (optional/up to the individual) after the exped and I will compile something for every one (Unfortunately there will be a small nominal charge if individuals want a copy to cover costs/postage etc)

Woody

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
Yep, one last bag available a 58 pattern down Arctic bag
Cheers Tom. And thanks Woody for being flexible on the gear rental.
Tom, roughly how big it is so I know how much space to leave in my kit bag? At present I have virtually no hand luggage. Do you think I could take it on as hand luggage to save repacking at the airport?
I'm taking a camera with a fairly reasonable video function. I've just managed to get hold of an 8GB memory card so should have a decent amount of room for video. I'll be sending it in to the office after the trip.
Stu

PS I'm angling for a booby prize for the worst beard....I once grew it for 2 weeks and my wife just commented that I'd got dirt on my face! Not planning to take a razor though so I'm up for the challenge!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Tom, roughly how big it is so I know how much space to leave in my kit bag?

Weighs 6lbs and packed, it is 18" long x 10" diameter :)
All sleeping bags are stored unpacked in a dry room until needed, so it will be nicely aired :)
I'd put it in checked luggage as it will protect other gear and survive the gentle touch of the baggage handlers :crutch:

If I am over the 20kg checked baggage allowance...I'll be wearing the heaviest gear.....down coat, ice boots etc.....we can always change at BDU airport before heading off :)

Another tip, just in case you miscalculate with the weight...ensure you pack some weighty items (that you could take as hand luggage....not the axe :) ) at the top of the kit bag so you can transfer quickly to hand luggage at the check in desk...

(remember to stick to the Norwegian Airways 20kg checked baggage allowance NOT the BA 25kg unless you want to repack your luggage in Oslo)

I'll be taking any electronic equipment, chargers etc in a suitable hand luggage bag....

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE