Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 2, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks guys,

Belt: I didn't think of that yeh, okay that makes sense as well as the knives and link. You can tell we've never had much experience with knives!

Bivvi bag: There's no problem getting a bivvi bag (which one yet i'm not sure) but I was under the impression that we'll be sleeping on reindeer skins on the floor, then our down mats, then our sleeping bags so presumed we didn't need them in the tent. Is it the floor surface thats the issue (i.e no or just general knocks, dirty etc from being used all week, or extra warmth?

Would it be wise to get a army bivvi which is massive so that the down mat can fit inside then? Being tall (6ft 3) very few more mainstream bags (Rab, Terra Nova) seem long enough for my sleeping bag nevermind getting a down mat in.

Woody: I may have missed a response but is it still okay to hire one sleeping bag for the week? I think you said you were waiting for other responses and supply.

Thanks again,

Dave

Woody

Forager
Thanks guys,

Woody: I may have missed a response but is it still okay to hire one sleeping bag for the week? I think you said you were waiting for other responses and supply.

Dave

All,
please see attached pdf .. this is every one that we have on record who wants to rent kit (apologies Dave, I did say I would post this a while ago) if you now require only the one bag, this is equally OK

If any one is missing from the list please drop me a line.

Although most have asked about needing larger boot sizes to fit big socks etc I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, we have loads out there if the first pair you try doesn't fit the bill

Woody

Attachments

• STUDENT KIT REQUIREMENTS_2.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 56

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Quick question guys and gals

what are you folk doing for waterproof layers? are you going down the old and abused/army surplus or the latest goretex incarnations?

I'm not really keen about taking my mountaineering jackets, and am considering some army surplus seconds. Can you kind folk offer some advice and recommendations please.

But then what are the chances of rain? pretty slim i would say.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Ventile covers all bases mate,if not,army surplus should do you!
( It did me last year!)
Gortex doesn't work very well if it gets realy cold.
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
My base layer,or one of them is the 200g.
I shall wear wool over that ( thick wool shirt,or jumper,maybe a thin lambs wool jumper first,if it is very cold. ) Followed by a double ventile smock type jacket.
C da C.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Quick question guys and gals

what are you folk doing for waterproof layers? are you going down the old and abused/army surplus or the latest goretex incarnations?

I'm not really keen about taking my mountaineering jackets, and am considering some army surplus seconds. Can you kind folk offer some advice and recommendations please.

Wolfman,

I am taking Used army goretex jacket and trousers just in case it rains. Otherwise I will be wearing a windproof snow smock and trousers as my outer layer.

Under the outer shell I will wear 200gm Woolpower base layer and a thick wool jumper when active. if its really cold I will or when we are in-active I'll stick a fleece or duvet jacket on.

I wore this on my last trip as was fine in temps similar to what we are expecting.

Barry

Woody

Forager

Ooooh you dont want to go saying things like that!!

It can easily go from -10 to + 10 in the space of an hour - rain/sleet is always a possibility Wolf man ….

Never underestimate the power of nature - or its ability to screw up all your plans!!

Ventile covers all bases mate,if not,army surplus should do you!
Chris.

Be aware Chris, if it does rain (or you get too close to the fire when its snowing!!) and then the temperature drops again rapidly - cue suit of armour/tin man impressions!

A good set of waterproofs are invaluable.

This goes for any one planning on taking just natural fibre mukluks - if they get wet - you (they) will freeze – solid and your toes with them!

Guys - if you have any questions/queries please ask before you go - don't find out the hard way! - better still, ask publicly on here so all can see the question and the answer - there are no dumb questions

We never stop learning - all of us

Woody

Gailainne

Life Member
Ooooh you dont want to go saying things like that!!

..........cue suit of armour/tin man impressions!

Woody

:lmao: Like it, I do remember my BCUK ventile being rather eh obstinate in the mornings on my last winter course :rolleyes: :D, but then again I was stuck to the tent wall with ice most mornings. (btw we need a snow digging smilie..Tony ?)

Woody do you have available or is there a local resource for reindeer skins ? again on my last course with a 12mm pad and a reindeer skin I was very comfortable, I'll bring my exped anyway, but I'd like to try the reindeer skin again, and take a "few" home with me.

Stephen

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Here goes then Woody! Would it be the case that rain is a higher possibility as we are nearer the coast?
( Than,for instance,when I was in the north of Sweden. )
Cheers.
Chris.

Woody

Forager
what sort of food will we be getting please? do we need to bring our own top up rations like chocolate etc..cheers

Good wholesome fare prepared by yours truely! - extra rations shouldn't be required unless you are prone to the midnight munchies!

Here goes then Woody! Would it be the case that rain is a higher possibility as we are nearer the coast? Cheers. Chris.

I think Tor Helge has kindly answered this one above mate. If you take a look at these two sites you will get an idea of whats forcast and better still, with the second one you can flick through historical data over the years to see what February is normally like there.

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/M%C3%A5lselv/%C3%98verbygd/long.html

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/ENDU/2010/1/5/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar (scroll to the bottom of the page)

(Both sites are pre-set for the local area)

Woody do you have available or is there a local resource for reindeer skins ? again on my last course with a 12mm pad and a reindeer skin I was very comfortable, I'll bring my exped anyway, but I'd like to try the reindeer skin again, and take a "few" home with me.

Stephen

I will look into the possibility of getting some skins, the local Sami community should be able to help us out there - be warned they will be air dried/un treated ...... and probably not cheap!! .... if I can get them to come down I will let you haggle with them directly to try to get the price down - Ula Matis is the small bear on the right (below) whom you will be dealing with .... Good luck!! :(

97tctt.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE