Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
I know the DLX's are longer, but is there a difference in use between the pump and non-pump version?
(wait's for totally transparent answer that I have overlooked ...)

Cheers.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I know the DLX's are longer, but is there a difference in use between the pump and non-pump version?
(wait's for totally transparent answer that I have overlooked ...)

Cheers.

Non pump (old model) utilizes the bag (it comes in) as a pump (clever)
Pump has an integrated pump (manual).

Both have a pump because blowing it up with your mouth injects lots of moisture.....the enemy of down :)

:rolleyes:

Tom

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
My brother and I will be looking for accommodation for the Saturday before, so I'll check out a few places when I get back from work.
I'll post whatever I can find.

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Hi, I did and earlier post, the best western near the central station seems good value, I will probably be staying there Sat night. I get in early Sat morning and want to see a bit of the city before the sunday flight

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I bet I have the cheapest kit on the course!! ( I'm not proud of that mind!.. )
Getting a bit worried about all you Cats groovy sleeping mats! ( old Thermarest here! )
Clothing and footwear should be fine,( if a bit 'old school'! )
Realy looking forward to the trip and to meeting up with you Cats!
See ya soon.
C da C.

Oct 21, 2009
Newcastle (UK)
Me and the Peterlee Paddler are staying in the Sentrum Pensjonat hostel on the Saturday before the trip.

Sentrum Pensjonat
Tollbugata 8
Oslo

Does anyone else have Saturday to kill in Oslo?

Last edited:

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I'm going to be spending the first Saturday night at this hotel at the airport:

Gardermoen Airport Hotel
Sør-Gardermoen
Gardermoen , N- 2061
Norway

Anyone else going to be there?

Oct 21, 2009
Newcastle (UK)
I spoke to a Norwegian I'm working with right now, he said it has been down to -20 during the night in Trondheim where he lives and down to -40 during the night in Bardufoss recently. They have been struggling to use the roads recently and they are used to winter tyres and snow chains!

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thats fine, to be honest if i went on an Arctic exped and it was +40c i would be disapointed, if i wanted that i would have went on the bushcraft expeditions trip to magaluf..... LOL... I dont want to be spending all that dosh on cold weather kit and end up with a suntan....

Colin...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
in the kit list, i believe they mentioned some sort of long life candles, to save me trawling through the posts can anyone remember how many we have to bring and does anyone have a link to somewhere we can purchase them...

as usual many thanks for your help in advance....

Colin

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
in the kit list, i believe they mentioned some sort of long life candles, to save me trawling through the posts can anyone remember how many we have to bring and does anyone have a link to somewhere we can purchase them...

as usual many thanks for your help in advance....

Colin

Colin, I am taking a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-Tallow-Ca...ultDomain_3?hash=item23030f1ec5#ht_1143wt_939

No connection to the seller other than that I have used him before and he is reliable.

Just checked the kit list and it says two.

Barry

Feb 2, 2009
Edinburgh
Hey guys,

We (me and my partner) are just getting sorting with gear for Feb and are getting stuck on a few items on the rather large kit list!

Bivvi bags.....I presume we don't need them in the main tent but will if we want to sleeping outdoors sometime. What has everyone else got? I was looking a the Rab survival bag but am not sure about its artic credentials so to speak? We both have exped down mats so would we have the mats under or in the bivvi?

Long belt? Is this to use a some sort of tool and is it really needed?

A folding knive, non-folding knive and a folding saw?

Is this basically a swiss army knive and a larger fixed knive and another folding saw? This seems alot of kit but we aren't experts at survival courses etc and thus don't have any of this kit (apart from 1 swiss knive between us).

Woooooh, thats a lot of question marks haha, sorry. Walking and camping in Scotland isn't new for us but survival courses in -20deg are!

Thanks, Dave

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
hi

bivi bags - ex army gortex are cheap on ebay if you have a look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Army-...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item20aef7d57c

belt to hang your knife etc on I presume

knives - you can never have too many knives on these courses - main knife to work with - foolder for the extra tools it brings and a backup in case you lose your main knife - mora are very good at a tenner each!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Green-...e=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1263760854&sr=8-3-catcorr

sandvick saws are very good bits of kit - handy for choping fire wood and very portable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-396-L...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1263760685&sr=8-1

cheers chris

Last edited:

Woody

Forager
Bivvi bags.....I presume we don't need them in the main tent but will if we want to sleeping outdoors sometime. What has everyone else got? I was looking a the Rab survival bag but am not sure about its artic credentials so to speak? We both have exped down mats so would we have the mats under or in the bivvi?
Thanks, Dave

Dave,
(and every one else) you will require bivi bags in the tents as well as for sleeping out if you choose to.

Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE