Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I'm also flying out on BA0762 and will be aiming to get to Heathrow around 6ish on Sunday morning. I'm counting 3 others aiming for this flight based on the conversations on this thread, Leonidas, Chris the Cat and Wolfman. Is this tallying up? It sounds like a great plan to meet up, and a coffee somewhere near checking works for me!

Stu

Ill be there too by the looks of things

Nick

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
anyone else roughing it in Oslo airport on the 13th? can't be bothered to pay for a hotel. hoping theres an all night bar and somewhere i can unroll my sleeping mat ;)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Not made my mind up yet Bush Ed, normal times i would defo kip down for the night in the airport, but as we will be out in roughly -10 - 20c not sure if i dont want 1 last nights comfort before sleeping in the snow for a week, same coming back after a week in the snow.

I will be in Oslo overnight on the 13th and 20th feb, i will give you a shout when i decide what im doing...

Colin....

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
i did have that thought, which made me pay more to fly out on the 20th rather than wait again as i know i will be knackered. But, i dunno, i've slept in a fair few airports, usually the excitement displaces any tiredness from departure lounge sleeping...hope so anyway :D

Gailainne

Life Member
(Remember with BA you can check in and print your boarding pass from 24 hours prior to the flight so you only need to go to the fast bag drop)
Tom

I'm on the early morning flight as well, I had a thought guys, I've never got on a flight yet with a big rucksack that didn't have to go thru the large luggage section, something to keep in mind.

The last time I was in term 5 the only thing open was a coffee shop on the far left as you enter.

Stephen

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
I've had exactly the same experince. I went down to spain on a monach flight and they insited on rapping the entire rucksack in some gient cling film claiming that the straps might get caught in the handelling machines!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Re rucksacks.......

The above posts just reminded me......:rolleyes:
When I landed at Heathrow from Madrid about 7/8 weeks ago I was at luggage collection for over an hour.......my rucksack appeared quickly but I missed it first time around the conveyor belt.....
THEN...it disappeared....did not come around the carousel again, sucked into oblivion....:eek:

After an hour of badgering the baggage handlers.....:BlueTeamE
they went to look for it....it had come off the conveyor belt behind the screens.......

This was a rucksack with straps that zip up out of the way too......:rolleyes:
I am taking a very large kit bag this time, that will 'contain' my rucksack and other gear.....

Tom

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Hi, I have has a bit of a look around for hotels in oslo and the Anker Hotel Best Western seems quite good value, you can get a twin room for 90 quid, it is quite near Oslo Sentrastation so easy to get the airport express to the airport on the 14th.

It is right in the city center so would have a good chance to see a bit of oslo before the expedition?

Vince

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Does anybody know the exact location of the campsite - ive looked for arlen national park and can find nothing on the web

Also does anybody know of a good online weather site for the location

Cheers
Nick

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Does anybody know the exact location of the campsite - ive looked for arlen national park and can find nothing on the web

Cheers
Nick

Skjaerhaug near Overbygd in the Dividalen region. Awesome place.

Woody

Forager

Cheers
Nick

Nick,

The following two sites will get you the info your after - yr.no is a Norwegian site, but is very good across the board (UK etc - as it has an English translation and can be used globally) just enter your loc of interest and follow the links - I have set it up for the exped location for you,

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/M%C3%A5lselv/%C3%98verbygd/

and this site is also very useful, particularly as you can look at historical info - I have set this up for Bardufoss region/December so you an see what's been happening up there.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/ENDU/2009/12/5/MonthlyHistory.html

Its well worth playing around with the other features on both, they are very good sites.

Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE