Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Any particular plans for those leaving on the Sunday? Tom?
See you all soon

Am planning on getting to Heathrow at 6am sharp.
Have booked a meet and greet valet service who will take the car directly from me at arrivals.....so there is no messing around with dragging gear.....straight from the car to the BA fast check-in with the bags :)
(Remember with BA you can check in and print your boarding pass from 24 hours prior to the flight so you only need to go to the fast bag drop)

As I mentioned ages ago :rolleyes: if anyone wants to join me on the trip up to Heathrow, they are welcome.
(Might save parking fee costs etc?)

Another thought (Dangerous I know)......Unless we arrange something....we will probably be passing ships in the night, until Bardufoss that is.....and then it will be...ah yes, I saw you on the plane....if I had known!
So why don't we short circuit that one and get noticed....(No roses) we could make sure our BCUK badges are in plain sight......Ideas?

You won't miss me, I'll be the one at BA fast bag drop around 6.10am shouting 'anyone going to build an iglo in Bardufoss :naughty:

Am hoping to meet up with the other folks so we can intro, have a :coffee: or similar prior to the flight.

Tom

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
I'm hoping to get to Heathrow about the 0600 time, depending on the morning airport bus from Oxford.

Coffee at that time in the morning sounds an excellent idea. The problem will be finding the same coffee shop in the terminal (5???).

Any one been there recently, and know what cofee shop is closest to the BA check in?

I suppose that we will recognize each other with all the extra bulky clothing that we'll be wearing, and no doubt sweating like pigs!!!

Merry christmas all, hope santa is good to you

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey guys i hope santa was good to everyone :christmas1: and you all got some good kit for the trip in Feb. Im just back from walking my 2 wee dogs in the snow, its been really heavy up here all week and its perfect for trying my new kit out,

Santa was good and got me the Sorrel Caribou -40C boots i wanted for the Arctic trip and i was looking forward to trying them out for the next few days at the Scottish Hogmany meet at Wiston lodge, but due to the snow they seem to have come to the conclusion that it is now off, shame.

But anyway went out in the fields with my wee westie and jack russell and my feet were well toastie, so a big thumbs up for the sorrels, only problem is the wee dogs didnt have any sorrel boots and for the first time in their life they actually wanted back from the walk.

Has anyone managed to find a good pair of snow goggles that dont make them look like a complete geek, thats the next item on my must get list.

Anyway i hope everyone is enjoying this festive weather weve got, if Norway is anything like Scotland when its been snowing we sure are some lucky people to be going there. i will speak to you all soon..

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE

Colin :christmas1:

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm not off on this trip, however, as we're giving tips on possible good buys, I bought a few pairs of 'Heat Holders', which are socks with a claimed thermal rating of 2.34 tog, today. I have been wearing a pair in my Trespass hiking boots for about 7 hours now, and have found them to be very comfortable. I suffer from cold feet, yet was warm when I went out with the dog this afternoon in the snow. I have not overheated either whilst sat on the computer at home this evening, which I suppose is the other end of the temperature scale. After buying them, I heard from a friend that they are on sale in Matalan at about £5.00 a pair. Well worth it in my opinion.

Having just tried to get a link for them as background info, I notice that Amazon are doing them at the same price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mens-Holder-Thermal-Socks-Rating/dp/B001L0DZLO

Woody

Forager
Hi all!

I hope every one had a great Christmas and is looking forward to welcoming in the New Year.

Below are the costs and details of the other things available during the expedition. In a previous post it was asked about the possibility of doing some snowmobiling, unfortunately this is not on offer this time round.

All arrangements are being made on your behalf with the local suppliers and any activities undertaken/facilities used are done so under the terms and conditions of the local supplier.

Every thing will be offered on a first come basis and will be available from the Monday evening through to Friday evening. I would suggest that rather than book your places now you wait until you are in country and decide then as groups will be sleeping out/working in the fire house etc on some evenings.

All monies are payable in Norwegian Krone and are to be paid in advance, in-country.

Dog Sledging

3 hours dog sledding (approx) – this would have to be conducted in the evening (This is a normal practice) and would include the following:

¯ Local Guide
¯ A team of 4 Sled dogs.
¯ Traditional wooden sled and dog harnesses
¯ Full instruction

(This can be arranged during the day with a minimum of people but would mean you missing out on some expedition activity)

Cost: NOK 600 per person

Sauna House.

This facility takes 5 hours to get up and running and consists of a changing cabin, sauna and traditional Scandinavian wash facility. It can accommodate a maximum of 8 – 10 people at a time

Cost per evening (For the whole facility for approx 2 - 3 hours)
NOK 800 (approx £85.00)

If you would like to use the Sauna it is suggested that you get as many people together on any one night and share the cost – 8 in during the first hour and 8 in during the second hour (16 total) would bring the price to about £5.30 a head -You will probably only want to be in there for about 40 mins!!

Outdoor Hot Tub

This facility takes 5 - 6 hours to heat up and consists of a changing cabin and outdoor hot tub. It can accommodate 6 - 8 people at a time

Cost per evening (approx 2 – 3 hours) NOK 600 (approx £65.00)

Again, it is suggested that you get as many people interested in using this facility and share the cost – Unless of course Santa was good to you this year and you are feeling generous and flush!!

Traditional Scandinavian Post Sauna/Hot tub roll in the snow.

This facility takes millennia to get ready/perfect and is only available between October and April and is conducted at the individuals own risk!! The activity includes/requires the following:

¯ Full use of all available snow
¯ A perverse penchant for pain *
¯ Testicular appendages in the "size of a rugby ball" category *

* Provided by the individual participant

Cost per participant: Gratis / FOC / Nada / Nihil

If any one has any questions please feel free to drop us a line in the Bushcraft Expeditions office: inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com
(Manned again from 04/01/10) or drop me a line on here

Finally, I hope you all have a Happy, Prosperous and joyful New Year

Woody

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Woody - I'll have a piece of that action....

Hot tub > Roll in the snow (and repeat :) ) definitely...

Undecided about the sledding at the mo' to be honest I do not think I am fit enough to run with 4 dogs.....(That is a lot of running)

Tom

Last edited:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Has anyone managed to find a good pair of snow goggles that dont make them look like a complete geek, thats the next item on my must get list.

Not quite, but almost:
http://www.sports-sunglasses-eyewear.co.uk/polarized_low_profile_ski_goggles.html

Given that I also sail, I wanted something which could be adapted - these seemed to suit the bill and can be turned back into a good pair of polarised sunglasses for the sailing season.

It's not perfect, but it'll do :)

Ag

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Not quite, but almost:
http://www.sports-sunglasses-eyewear.co.uk/polarized_low_profile_ski_goggles.html
Given that I also sail, I wanted something which could be adapted - these seemed to suit the bill and can be turned back into a good pair of polarised sunglasses for the sailing season.
It's not perfect, but it'll do :)
Ag

See your point, makes sense, however just a little something more to consider....better to make an informed choice eh!

I have a pair of Wiley SG-1's which are similar in profile.....glasses/goggles via detachable arms.....attach a strap.....etc
Am leaving them at home....:eek:

If you are going sledding suggest larger profile goggles....or any exposed skin around the smaller goggles/glasses will get quite cold....
When you consider the already cold temperature plus the wind chill factor increase from either 'the wind' or from sledding..........there may be occasions when you wish you had greater facial protection than sunglasses alone can offer :rolleyes:

Up to you but for £9...or less..... :thinkerg:

Tom

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Woody

thanks for all the info re: extra activities.

Could I reserve a place on the dog sledging please.

I presume that we can make arrangements for the sauna, etc, when we are in house.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
If you are going sledding suggest larger profile goggles....or any exposed skin around the smaller goggles/glasses will get quite cold....
When you consider the already cold temperature plus the wind chill factor increase from either 'the wind' or from sledding..........there may be occasions when you wish you had greater facial protection than sunglasses alone can offer :rolleyes:

Up to you but for £9...or less..... :thinkerg:

Tom

Cheers for the heads up Tom - As I too would like to attend the dog sledding (please put me name on the list) I shall drag along my old ski goggles from last time. They were useful in a whiteout, and like you said, would help protect any exposed skin - although I'm going for the full on balaclava and polar buff combo which seemed to work well last time - I just hope they don't have any "terrorist sightings"!!

The Wiley ones looked good - I think these are the civvy equivalent, just for half the price.

I shall be dragging along both, so people can borrow and compare/contrast to see for themselves. Besides - that's what the trip is for, to see what works and what doesn't - just in a lower risk environment.

Although I cannot speak for their performance, I found that a lower profile pair of sunglasses (I took my old sailing ones) were more useful than the goggles about 90% of the time, with the goggles being cracked out for those really bad days. If you're working in a sheltered area the sunglasses helped to keep off the glare, whilst not making you feel like you're sitting in a space-suit when it's only -15 outside with little wind :) It was my hope that by adding in the foam inserts (i.e. the "goggle" bit) that these would keep the spindrift away, whilst also allowing a good seal over the balaclava. As for if it works - I'm not sure yet, but will tell you all in a couple of months!

Ag

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
i might point out, although i may be reproached for stupidity, that when we are there the sun doesn't reach over the nearby mountains...hence while theres daylight surely the lack of direct sunlight will mean that snow glare will be fairly minimal...

i thought the goggles were more for keeping snow out yer eyes if sledding or caught in downpour (of snow) :)

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
i might point out, although i may be reproached for stupidity, that when we are there the sun doesn't reach over the nearby mountains...hence while theres daylight surely the lack of direct sunlight will mean that snow glare will be fairly minimal...

i thought the goggles were more for keeping snow out yer eyes if sledding or caught in downpour (of snow) :)

If you are going sledding suggest larger profile goggles....or any exposed skin around the smaller goggles/glasses will get quite cold...................

BushEd....In reality down in the valley we may not need goggles or even sunglasses....depends on snow reflection....the goggles comment was in response to anyone considering sledding.....:rolleyes:

Better to have it and not need it....

Tom

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Hi, I know a few of you are staying on the 13th at hotels at the Airport. I fly in on the Ryan air flight early in the morning and fancy seeing a bit of Oslo without lugging all my gear about so thinking of staying in a hotel in the city as there is plenty of time to get to the airport for the Bardfoss flight sunday.

Is anyone else thinking of doing this and have you found a hotel yet?

Vince

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
I'm also flying out on BA0762 and will be aiming to get to Heathrow around 6ish on Sunday morning. I'm counting 3 others aiming for this flight based on the conversations on this thread, Leonidas, Chris the Cat and Wolfman. Is this tallying up? It sounds like a great plan to meet up, and a coffee somewhere near checking works for me!

Stu

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Stu,have sent you a pm,( which I replied to before reading this! Doh!!)
I will be the exhausted looking one,having sat there all night!
C da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE